Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Douglas Garland was found guilty of the 1st degree murders of Kathy and Alvin Liknes and their 5 year old grandson, Nathan O'Brien. He received 3 life sentences of 25 years each to run consecutively, and will not be eligible to apply for parole for 75 years. Barring appeal, he will not live long enough to apply.

liknes-nathan-o-brien-garland-trial.jpg

Kathy and Alvin Liknes, and their grandson Nathan O'Brien (pic from CBC news files here)

True life sentence a blessing for families of Garland victims

By Michael Platt, Calgary Sun
First posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 05:17 PM MST | Updated: Friday, February 17, 2017 05:49 PM MST

1297623692127_ORIGINAL.jpg

To never, ever see his face again.

What's a small solace for the O’Brien and Liknes families right now is in fact the single greatest thing that could have happened in this trial, after Douglas Garland's conviction on three counts of first-degree murder.

It can't bring back the dead, but Friday's sentencing decision by Justice David Gates ensures the legal system can't bring back the monster either — and unlike so many victim families who are forced to relive the crime at regular parole hearings, Garland will never get one.

[...]

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

Rules Etiquette & Information

Nancy Hixt Twitter

Reid Fiest Twitter

Kevin Martin Twitter

Meghan Grant Twitter

Kathleen Petty Twitter

Val Fortney Twitter

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8

$300? My mistake, I thought they were selling the contents of the house, including furniture so I thought it would be a lot more. I understand this was about murder..

I keep coming back and refreshing the page. I don't know what I'm looking for, or hoping for. I thought I'd feel better knowing that he'll be locked up for the rest of his pathetic life. But this one has hit me really hard. I can't even begin to imagine how the O'Brien, Liknes, and even the members of the Garland family must feel right now.
I keep doing the same thing. I think for me it's the group of people really taking in all the information and giving their feedback with such great personalities. I know it's over but I think I just need to really process it all. Everyone here was so amazing during a time where everything was so dark.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

$300? My mistake, I thought they were selling the contents of the house, including furniture so I thought it would be a lot more. I understand this was about murder..

The typical used household or furniture item that's more than a couple years old isn't worth much and by appearances I don't think the home was filed with high end items.

People hold estate, garage or yard sales mostly for the social aspect than the expectation of making money. Family and friends have an opportunity to gather and visit with people who drop by, while people just starting out benefit from getting things to furnish a new place for little or nothing, saving the homeowner the hassle of figuring out what to do with it.

It's very possible that buying Chinese food for the family cost a good portion of the days profits. That Garland might've had expectations that the sale raised a lot of money, no I don't believe that. It was mentioned he frequented auction sales, same thing, entire households sold for virtually nothing.

Just wanted to comment on this from Nathan's father's impact statement
(link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/garland-victim-impact-statements-1.3989495

In the spring of 2014, I noticed a change in Nathan's conversation with me. Nathan had begun to ask me questions about heaven, before he would go to sleep. I asked him if school was talking about heaven, he said no. He kept asking me on a number of occasions in spring 2014 about going to heaven and what it was like there?
Nathan: What can you do in heaven? What is heaven like? Can you fly around in heaven?
I told him in heaven, there are only joy, happiness, and love. You can be a superhero and fly, play forever surrounded by your family at all times. Nathan then told me that he would be there to welcome us into heaven. I told him he was mistaken, it was his parents honour to welcome him into heaven, as he had to grow up and become a dad and live to be very old.
It makes me wonder why Nathan was asking about heaven, except that I now believe God had begun to reassure Nathan that he would be there to take care of him forever in paradise.

I believe he "knew" he would not be here for long. I've heard other people say this or words to that effect, and then they die suddenly.

Just an observation when I was reading the tweets!

and :gthanks: for all your tweets JadeSleuth!!

Off topic but I do believe sometimes people know they will die. My brother weeks before his death kept speaking about dying like grandpa. My gramps passed away from a brain tumour. A few weeks later y brother was found unresponsive with a brain bleed. He died a week after surgery never being awake again. Still makes me sad that we never believed him.
My sons father passed away a year later. He had a dream the week before that his Lord spoke to him and told him to get right with his family as he would be taken away. He was so shaken up by it and he passed away in his sleep. My brother was only 30 and my sons father was 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were selling everything, including furniture, but it seems that most of the house contents were not sold.

I was also thinking. Maybe because of Nathan we have a arrest and conviction Maybe the LE wouldn't have been so on top of things without a 5 year old missing. Maybe they would have dismissed it as a domestic or something. I know it's reaching. Just want some sort or sense of all this loss.

Just wanted to comment on this from Nathan's father's impact statement
(link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/garland-victim-impact-statements-1.3989495

In the spring of 2014, I noticed a change in Nathan's conversation with me. Nathan had begun to ask me questions about heaven, before he would go to sleep. I asked him if school was talking about heaven, he said no. He kept asking me on a number of occasions in spring 2014 about going to heaven and what it was like there?
Nathan: What can you do in heaven? What is heaven like? Can you fly around in heaven?
I told him in heaven, there are only joy, happiness, and love. You can be a superhero and fly, play forever surrounded by your family at all times. Nathan then told me that he would be there to welcome us into heaven. I told him he was mistaken, it was his parents honour to welcome him into heaven, as he had to grow up and become a dad and live to be very old.
It makes me wonder why Nathan was asking about heaven, except that I now believe God had begun to reassure Nathan that he would be there to take care of him forever in paradise.

I believe he "knew" he would not be here for long. I've heard other people say this or words to that effect, and then they die suddenly.

Just an observation when I was reading the tweets!

and :gthanks: for all your tweets JadeSleuth!!

It seems that both Nathan and his father had a premonition - that must create a special sense for Rod that Nathan is still near him.

I was also thinking. Maybe because of Nathan we have a arrest and conviction Maybe the LE wouldn't have been so on top of things without a 5 year old missing. Maybe they would have dismissed it as a domestic or something. I know it's reaching. Just want some sort or sense of all this loss.

I agree that a missing child and a bloody crime scene motivated and involved police in ways that may not have otherwise happened.

It seems that both Nathan and his father had a premonition - that must create a special sense for Rod that Nathan is still near him.

Okay then I'm going to say what has been niggling my brain since the very first day this case was publicized.

I would be appreciative if anyone might otherwise disagree.

I have lived in Alberta my entire life and in the same age group as Alvin and Kathy. But I have never, ever heard the term Estate Sale to be defined as anything other than executors selling possessions belonging to the estate of a deceased family member. My only thought is its possible that whoever posted the kijiji ad referred to it as an Estate Sale, hoping to attract greater interest. The word Estate Sale often conjures up the notion of valuable antiques and other treasures that are unknowingly sold for little or nothing.

I can't help but think misnaming their activity of that fatal weekend - an Estate Sale - instead of Moving Sale, Yard or Garage Sale was a sort of premonition as well.

Okay then I'm going to say what has been niggling my brain since the very first day this case was publicized.

I have lived in Alberta my entire life and in the same age group as Alvin and Kathy. But I have never, ever heard the term Estate Sale to be defined as anything other than executors selling possessions belonging to the estate of a deceased family member. My only thought is its possible that whoever posted the kijiji ad referred to it as an Estate Sale, hoping to attract greater interest. The word Estate Sale often conjures up the notion of valuable antiques and other treasures that are unknowingly sold for little or nothing.

I can't help but think misnaming their activity of that fatal weekend - an Estate Sale - instead of Moving Sale, Yard or Garage Sale was a sort of premonition as well.
I've been garage sale-ing for years and years <modsnip> the term is used quite loosely. I've seen many sales where people are moving from the house they've lived in for years called estate sales.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

MistyWaters, I think your understanding is certainly the traditional way of thinking, but in legal circles, the term 'estate' also applies to a person's possessions, not necessarily just after death.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....rg/wiki/Estate_sale+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

An estate sale may also occur because the property owner will be moving or has moved into a new residence where he will be unable to keep his property, such as an assisted living facility, a retirement community, a rest home, or the home of a family member.

An estate sale may also take place because of divorce, foreclosure, or relocation.

IIRC, Kathy was involved in marketing, so she may have thought the term would entice more people to attend.

Hey, I'm new to posting here. I checked the rules but am still unclear if I am allowed to post something I heard from a source who works at a hospital but I do not have a MSM link to back it up. Can anyone advise?

I completely agree. Estate sale has typically been associated with liquidating the house contents of a deceased person, and, as you say, it implies antiques and valuables that are sold for a fraction of their worth. When I looked at the sale items on kijiji, I too was surprised that it was called an estate sale. However, Kathy had developed a couple of websites using various templates, and she was probably thinking in terms of marketing rather than traditional meaning of estate sale. I would have called it a garage sale where everything must go. Perhaps it was a hidden premonition.

I've been garage sale-ing for years and years <modsnip> the term is used quite loosely. I've seen many sales where people are moving from the house they've lived in for years called estate sales.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Terms seem to take on new meaning over time, and it's not surprising that people call garage sales estate sales with the hope of attracting more people.

Hey, I'm new to posting here. I checked the rules but am still unclear if I am allowed to post something I heard from a source who works at a hospital but I do not have a MSM link to back it up. Can anyone advise?

I'm not sure. I think some people post info that is not supported with a link by stating that it is rumour.

Welcome YouAreMySunshine :)

Post away, if it's not allowed, Mods will remove it or pm me and I'll tell you if I think it should be okay or not.

Please delete if not allowed.

I have a source who works at a hospital who says Garland was brought in last night as someone beat the $hit out of him. The person I know didn't see this but the hospital was a buzz with it. So take it as a rumour at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back