GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle230

Reaction score
Just a quick, brief post. I can`t keep up - I read a page, then find in that time another three pages have been written lol I`m banning all new posts for at least two hours :laughing:
Court was busy today but thank goodness we all were admitted with one spare chair! In all, there were about 11-12 members of the public.
From 10.30-11 the Judge and Counsel discussed a couple of things (and IS late as Net stated).
Judge Bright then spoke from 11 o`clock - 12.45. I know it`s all been posted brilliantly on here. He was so much easier on the ear then last week!
He had to choose a new jury for another trial. It seems it`s pretty difficult to find 12 good folk if it`s going to be a long trial - holidays, work, illness etc

Just a quick, brief post. I can`t keep up - I read a page, then find in that time another three pages have been written lol I`m banning all new posts for at least two hours :laughing:
Court was busy today but thank goodness we all were admitted with one spare chair! In all, there were about 11-12 members of the public.
From 10.30-11 the Judge and Counsel discussed a couple of things (and IS late as Net stated).
Judge Bright then spoke from 11 o`clock - 12.45. I know it`s all been posted brilliantly on here. He was so much easier on the ear then last week!
He had to choose a new jury for another trial. It seems it`s pretty difficult to find 12 good folk if it`s going to be a long trial - holidays, work, illness etc

Oh. I hope he has found twelve good'ns for this trial.

As normal. Well - as normal as an abnormal person can be :confused: (confused myself with that one)
Sat pretty impassively as usual - but there are definitely times when his rapid blinking is more frequent e.g. the mention of the excrement (sorry - it`s just horrible).

That’s probably because he knows he’s up to his neck in it and sinking fast!!

The defendant wiped his eyes as he listened to a recording of himself being interviewed by detectives, following his arrest in April.

As he was asked about the note millionaire children's author, Mrs Bailey allegedly left before her disappearance, Stewart was heard telling officers: "The note was handwriting, it wasn't typed. I thought it was Helen's.

"And she signed the note, no one else would have signed it like that. LB is a nickname I had for Helen, my nickname is BB. It's going back to when we first met. She was little bean and I was big bean."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26672...999-calls-reporting-childrens-author-missing/

The fiance of children's author Helen Bailey "grinned" at police officers as they attempted to question him about her sudden disappearance, a court has heard.

Ian Stewart, 56, of Royston, Hertfordshire, is accused of drugging and killing the Electra Brown writer in a financially motivated plot last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...er-trial-authors-fiance-grinned-police-tried/

Sgt Nicole Goodyear told the court Mr Stewart followed police "everywhere" during a search on 15 April.

She said: "He was very interested in what we were doing, he wanted to know what we were doing and why."

Mr Stewart also denies preventing a lawful burial, fraud and three counts of perverting the course of justice.

The trial continues.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-38692970

attachment.php

UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9

Please continue discussing here.

Ooh, a nice fresh thread.

<plumps cushions>

<lights scented candle>

<pours gin>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Secreting Helen and Boris in the cesspit within the family home was probably IS' biggest mistake because it proved she had been murdered, and most probably by him. I guess the degradation of Helen's body in human excrement may be more a matter for the judge, as he could regard it as an aggravating feature when it comes to sentencin

I believe in the context of the crime as a whole (and its background), the cesspit reveals a great deal about IS. It takes a special kind of ruthlessness to kill your fiance, the person who you were discussing wedding venues with just hours earlier, then drag her corpse to the most revolting location imaginable, with some effort force her body inside there, (and that of her dog), and then shut down the lid. Later that evening IS ate a Chinese takeaway and chatted with his son, just yards from that filthy tomb. This is the very opposite of a crime of passion - it is dispassionate and cold blooded in the extreme.

The cesspit exposes his dishonesty and deviousness - it proves not even the conventions of basic human decency would prevent him from covering his tracks. Once the jury has agreed no one but IS could have placed Helen's body there, his lifelong charade of being a decent man crumbles into a million pieces. When he was on the stand, he himself described Helen's murder and disposal as 'Sick and disgusting'. Those words sum him up, in my view the cesspit clearly demonstrates what a sick, disgusting and dangerous killer he is.

Dolly D - your words make my heart leap to everything I feel. Thank you for the 'summary' of this 'sick and disgusting act on the part of IS.
Allowing for him wishing to kill Helen and in a Freudian way usurp her, which I've always felt was behind this due to his inadequacy.
But BRAVO in your gift of words to summary of a cesspit hiding place, and Chinese food munching.
To kill Helen is unforgivable and to race around to grab her money is atrocious - and to use the toilet and **** upon her and Boris is beyond disgusting .. it reveals a murderer of a certain nature where when you '**** on people' whilst winning you have a fraud/deal mentality as well as NO NO NO regard of another human being
and Boris to be plonked in ****.

On catch-up. His finances are fascinating.

I can't say I'm shocked about IS taking out a critical illness policy for himself as It's something I wondered about but then almost immediately dismissed as I couldn't understand why anyone in their 30s would even take out a policy unless they anticipated they may get ill.

He was diagnosed 96, claims he only had symptoms of extreme tiredness in the year before.

He'd amassed almost £180k despite only ever working in FTE for about a decade, having had a family and a wife who was for a while, a stay at home mum.
&#8220;During the work on the house I would find myself tired and unable to do anything quicker than my dad. &#8220;I realised something was wrong then I realised something was wrong then . &#8220;Oliver was born the same year, in May 1995. Diane was taking medication for epilepsy. &#8220;We moved into the house, it wasn&#8217;t finished but it was liveable. &#8220;I started to notice more and more things going wrong with my health. What really bought it to a head is that I was trying to hammer a nail in, and on the third bang my arm just wouldn&#8217;t move. &#8220;That&#8217;s what drove me to go to hospital. I was diagnosed almost instantly with Myasthenia gravis.

his version of his life story is here
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/live-helen-bailey-murder-trial-12566970

Is it correct that even whilst he was drawing on the insurance policy he would still be able to claim some form of disability benefit as it is not means tested. ( Been so many posts on this, IDK what the facts are now. )

he gets the blue badge 98/99.

Just pulled up the relevant bits of evidence re the £470,000 that IS paid for the house.
The evidence below is only ISs word - saying that he paid over £470,000 to Helen. However, surely the finance investigator found a record of this money going from IS into Helen's accounts in June 2014 when the Bassingbourn house finally sold. Surely, they would not just take the word of a liar that this had happened ?
However, the bad news is, even if he did not pay a penny towards Hartwell Lodge, Helen bought the house in his name and hers on the advice of her accountant.

Helen wasn&#8217;t too keen on Royston for a few reasons"
Stewart is now going back to Christmas 2012. &#8220;Helen was still in Highgate, Christmas Day was spent at my house, Helen came up with Boris and spent three of four days. &#8220;It was after Christmas 2012 we decided to buy a house together.
Helen&#8217;s house was sold first. &#8220;We looked at many online, and we were looking to buy in North Herts or South Cambs.
&#8220;We looked at Hatfield, Welwyn, St Albans, but our house then came online and we arranged a viewing if Helen wanted to and she did. &#8220;
Helen wasn&#8217;t too keen on Royston for a few reasons. &#8220;We walked in and we both fell in love with the house straight away. &#8220;It was bought with the proceeds from her Highgate house. &#8220;Her accountant suggested we bought the house in joint names to save paying stamp duty twice. &#8220;I handed over my money later.&#8221;

The Bassingbourn house didn&#8217;t sell quickly"
&#8220;We moved everything out of the house in Highgate and moved it up to Royston. &#8220;I didn&#8217;t move my stuff in straight away. &#8220;Jamie and Oliver both chose their bedrooms, we effectively moved in from that day on and never went back to Bassingbourn. &#8220;This was July 2013. &#8220;
We left my house for a while, that was an error there, I made a mistake. &#8220;The Royston house was in a very old state. The decor was nowhere near our taste. &#8220;I brought my stuff from Bassingbourn over about six or seven months. &#8220;Every visit there was a nightmare, I kept going back and finding things of Diane&#8217;s, it was very sad.
&#8220;The Bassingbourn house didn&#8217;t sell quickly, I sold it for £520,000 after selling expenses. &#8220;I gave Helen £470,000, Helen wanted me to keep £50,000 and described it as &#8216;play money&#8217; to spend.&#8221;

I can't say I'm shocked about IS taking out a critical illness policy for himself as It's something I wondered about but then almost immediately dismissed as I couldn't understand why anyone in their 30s would even take out a policy unless they anticipated they may get ill.

He was diagnosed 96, claims he only had symptoms of extreme tiredness in the year before.

He'd amassed almost £180k despite only ever working in FTE for about a decade, having had a family and a wife who was for a while, a stay at home mum.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/live-helen-bailey-murder-trial-12566970

Is it correct that even whilst he was drawing on the insurance policy he would still be able to claim some form of disability benefit as it is not means tested. ( Been so many posts on this, IDK what the facts are now. )

And a mortgage free house...

Ooh, a nice fresh thread.

<plumps cushions>

<lights scented candle>

<pours gin>

<climbs into fleecey pyjamas>

<dives head first into plumped cushions>

<spills gin>

In response to DD and Net re MG diagnosis (I don't know how to quote from a different thread) there are also EMG/nerve conduction tests, pulmonary function tests, IV edrophonium test as well as blood tests of the acetylcholine receptor antibodies.

I don't believe you can fake a diagnosis but I believe some aspects could be overplayed to prevent remission being identified several years later. For instance self-reported quality of life questionnaires such as SF-36 and the neuromuscular QoL scales which are more subjective.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Dr (only phd) but currently writing a manuscript on B cell inhibitors in MG!

Oh what a tangled web we weave

Oh Helen - I wish things were so very different. I wish you had never met IS. Or if you had, he was someone that you had one drink with. Aside from all the wicked evil description of how he robbed you of your future, his entitled ways makes such hard reading at times. :tears::tears::tears::tears:

Thank you Alyce,

Without wishing to be too intrusive into Helens financial affairs (given such dreadful indignities she has suffered) the wording is IS used regarding the house is puzzling to me. " I gave Helen £470,000"

I'm not sure if the investigators would have followed the money he said he gave to Helen, as it has little impact - as you have rightly stated the house is in joint names.

It is something that has stayed with me - the showboating on IS part about his overstated (IMO) financial security and the defence statements regarding his superior "liquid asset" wealth compared to Helen.

I wonder if what Helen did with the funds - investments etc or did IS assume responsibility for "investing" or safeguarding the money... for maybe until it was required for engagement rings, wedding etc... adding another layer of motive

Just curious to me when he says he gave it to Helen, what did Helen do with the funds? I know its not my business - just wondering if it is tied into his deceit and therefore motive?

In response to DD and Net re MG diagnosis (I don't know how to quote from a different thread) there are also EMG/nerve conduction tests, pulmonary function tests, IV edrophonium test as well as blood tests of the acetylcholine receptor antibodies.

I don't believe you can fake a diagnosis but I believe some aspects could be overplayed to prevent remission being identified several years later. For instance self-reported quality of life questionnaires such as SF-36 and the neuromuscular QoL scales which are more subjective.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Dr (only phd) but currently writing a manuscript on B cell inhibitors in MG!

Oh what a tangled web we weave

Yes, I didn't go into too much detail as it can get boring. One of the simplest and easiest is the Tensilon (endrophonium) test. The effect is immediate and quite amazing. However, if one is in a good phase when one finally gets an appointment both nerve conduction tests and pulmonary function tests can be equivocal.

Being joint owners I thought that the property becomes the sole property of the remaining owner on the death of one.

Tenants in common both own a percentage of the property.

Being joint owners I thought that the property becomes the sole property of the remaining owner on the death of one.

Not if he murdered her.

I wonder what happens when one joint owner is convicted of the murder of the other joint owner? Surely a convicted murderer could not benefit financially from the decease 'so estate?

(long time lurker here!)

He probably presented with lid lag and muscle fatigue which is characteristic of the disease though not always present. It certainly makes it much easier if one is seen when the worst symptoms are present. I had double vision and inability to speak more than a sentence but even so I had long spells where I was able to cope. I was a stay at home mum and could rest during the day. By the time I was diagnosed I could not walk more than 25 yards but that has more to do with me having a really bad GP.

I wonder what happens when one joint owner is convicted of the murder of the other joint owner? Surely a convicted murderer could not benefit financially from the decease 'so estate?

(long time lurker here!)

A criminal cannot profit from their crimes once convicted, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member