Over a third of Americans age 40 and over are unattached

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Of almost 127 million Americans age 40 and over, more than a third are unattached. They're either casualties of the divorce explosion (13%); widowed (11%); or never married (8%).

Of those singles, more than 25 million are women. And perhaps because these over-40 women are likely to be more fit and health-conscious than their mother's generation, and to have a younger mind-set,observers say they're seeing a surge in over-40 dating — in a dating world that has changed as much as they have.

“The standard parameters of dating from your 20s are no longer in play,” says Jane Ganahl, 53, editor of Single Woman of a Certain Age, a collection of essays from 29 single-at-midlife female writers.

“Women in their young life date to get married and date to have babies. After a certain point, it becomes almost a non-issue,” she says. “The ‘M word' and the wedding aren't the primary focus anymore. It's liberating.”

But it's still scary.

“I'm 16 all over again,” says Paula England, 55, a Stanford University sociology professor divorced for eight years. “What I experienced was this feeling of being back in high school again, but I didn't know the rules or conventions.”

Now, a glut of new dating books is helping these women adjust to changes and new mores with practical advice and others' experiences.

The rest of the story

We find that divorced or widowed friends of ours often hook up with other divorced or widowed friends they have known for some time.

It would scare or probably gross me out to go through a dating service; I would rather live alone or date people I already know.

Marthatex said:
We find that divorced or widowed friends of ours often hook up with other divorced or widowed friends they have known for some time.

It would scare or probably gross me out to go through a dating service; I would rather live alone or date people I already know.
I agree. I dated the guy across the street from me. :p We have been married for 10 years now!!!! :blowkiss: You don't know those people from the dating services. I heard that a lot of those are ALREADY married! :doh:

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I don't think that I would have the energy to get back into the dating world. If I were single again, I would go about my business and continue pursuing my interests. If I happened to meet someone along the way, that would be okay. It would also be okay if I didn't. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back