OH - Natalie Coday, 4 mo, beaten to death, Akron, 29 Oct 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Teenage boy accused of killing baby twin girl

AKRON, Ohio -- A teenager is accused of killing one of his girlfriend's 4-month-old twin babies in October, police said.

David Hatcher, 16, of Akron, was arrested at the Akron police station Wednesday night and is charged with delinquency by reason of murder, felonious assault and child endangering in the death of Natalie Coday, police spokesman Rick Edwards said.

Hatcher, who is not the twins' father, appeared in Summit County Juvenile Court for a hearing Thursday and is being held in Summit County Juvenile Detention Center.

Another hearing, scheduled for Jan. 30, could result in Hatcher being tried as an adult.

He had been living with his grandmother but spent much of his time with Teannia Coday, 17, the mother of Natalie and Kanessa Coday, Edwards said.

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=4193618&nav=Lrzs

Akron Teens Sentenced In Death Of Infant

Police Say Infant Was Beaten, Strangled, Starved

"I am sorry. I am not perfect and it was hard," she said." [the 17yo mother]

Coday was sentenced to 22 years in prison. Her boyfriend, 16-year-old David Hatcher, received 13 years.

Reading her statement it sounds like she only cares about herself. She said it's been hard and I've lost two daughters? She makes me sick and I hope she doesn't get out on probation...her boyfriend either.

I just can't imagine hitting a 5 month old baby. Any child for that matter.

Yeah, like a person who kills his parents, then asks the court to have mercy on him because he is an orphan.

Feel sorry for me.......pity me, show me mercy....please....

Why did he get less time than she did? Originally I thought they only suspected him.

SewingDeb said:
Why did he get less time than she did? Originally I thought they only suspected him.
Because they both pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, felonious assault and endangering children, but the mother also pled guilty to permitting child abuse. Neither one of them admit responsibility for little Natalie's death.

Sentencing hearing gets emotional

Teen parents going to prison

Her life lasted about 19 weeks and ended without mercy -- the shaking, broken bones, lacerated organs, starvation and, ultimately, strangulation. At least the torture ended for Natalie Coday last October when her lifeless 8-pound body left her Akron home. Really, she never had a chance.

The sentencing hearing was emotional. Coday sobbed and shook uncontrollably. Hatcher bowed his head. Each offered muffled apologies. In the back of the courtroom, women wailed as Common Pleas Judge Jane Bond handed out the lengthy prison terms.

Natalie suffered multiple blunt force trauma and strangulation, either of which could have been the cause of death. Broken bones were in various stages of healing, indicating ongoing abuse. Her lungs and liver were torn. Kanessa was lucky; she suffered only 10 fractured ribs. She is now being placed for adoption, according to her court-appointed guardian, Karen Brouse.

What a wonderful life both baby girls could have had if put up for adoption. hopefully, the baby who survived will go on to find total love and adorment from new parents who will treasure her forever and ever.

I am not blaming anyone but this sorry peice of *$@# and her evil loser bf,but where were this childs grandparents, doctors, neighbors....anyone who saw the child had to know how badly she was hurting and how tiny she wasfor her age!!! I hope both of the SOB's burn in hell.

Teannia Coday

Housed: Ohio Reformatory for Women
Admission: 10/26/2006

Offenses
3 counts 2nd Degree Felony Assault
3 counts 2nd Degree Endanger Child
1 counts 1st Degree Manslaughter
4 counts 3rd Degree Endanger Child
1 counts 1st Degree Permitting Child Abuse

Stated Term: 22 years
Expiration of Stated Term: 01/06/2028

David Hatcher