869 users online (147 members and 722 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Give this Mom a Medal

A friend emailed me this. This is one mother who doesn't believe in coddling her son. This young man is getting a very appropriate punishment from his Mom for the offense he committed. I hope this makes an impact on his life and keeps him on the straight narrow in the future.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g/image002.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g/image003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    A friend emailed me this. This is one mother who doesn't believe in coddling her son. This young man is getting a very appropriate punishment from his Mom for the offense he committed. I hope this makes an impact on his life and keeps him on the straight narrow in the future.

http://mymail01.mail.lycos.com/scrip...67&partsno=2.3

http://mymail01.mail.lycos.com/scrip...67&partsno=2.4
    The link doesnt work for me......

Oh darn. I'll get the link right....

ok....

LOL, I found out you can't cut and paste pictures. I learn somthin new everyday!! the link works now.

The links work for me. The second one with mom kicked back sipping iced tea, or whatever, is priceless!!

It's too bad more parents don't take such drastic action to straighten their kids up.

I think she could have handled this better, but at least she's doing something.

I doubt this will do any good. He likely feels shame and anger but not because of his actions but rather what his mom is making him do. Likely just to make him 'steel' himself against feeling much of anything. Sad.

It doesn't sit right with me. Punishing the kid for stealing is one thing, but he already has plenty of issues to deal with if his father is in prison. One thing he doesn't need is to have his father's shame placed on his shoulders. I agree, it's good that mom is doing something and obviously she cares if she's taking the time to sit out there while he serves his sentence, but pointing out to the world that daddy is in prison is unnecessary.

I suspect that mom wants to see him get where she thinks he needs to be, but doesn't know how to get him there. She could sit by and do nothing and maybe in this case, that would be better, but I've got to give her props for at least trying. Maybe the lesson will sink in, even if it takes a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    One thing he doesn't need is to have his father's shame placed on his shoulders.
    I have mixed feelings about this. We don't know what his father's crimes were (heck, we don't even know what this kid's stealing "crime" was all about), and we know nothing about the family- save for the mother's determination that her son NOT follow in his father's footsteps.

I am just assuming that the mother knows her son, and has determined that he needs to realize that his father is a criminal and his behavior is not that of a positive role model.

I am assuming that this mother has higher expectations for her son.

I am assuming that she loves her son. That she is not placing the father's shame upon the boy's shoulders, but nipping his criminal activity in the bud while making a lesson of it for him. Lesson being: Keep it up and you will end up in prison- just like your father.

Too many sons of convicts glorify their fathers' criminal dealings and use it as a kind of hierarchy within the gangs in most large cities. It is a cycle that needs to be broken. While I don't know this is the case with this family, it sure smells like the mother has been around the block and has a good nose for what's going on in her son's life. It seems like she knows what will work in curtailing this kind of behavior in her son. Who knows- she may have tried other things in the past- or this may be the first time her son has stolen... Most importantly, she is involved in her son's life and is obviously outraged at his behavior. You know, I find that refreshing. Unfortunately.

So yeah, that's assuming a lot, but on the face of it? From what we really know? I applaud her. You do what works, legally. And somehow I doubt this kid has an X-Box and computer the mom can just take away as punishment... as if that ever worked anyway.
    Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated. -Sun Tzu

It is like I told my son. If he gets in trouble, it embarrasses me, so I then have a right to embarrass him back. Being older and more experienced, I can be more creative!
    I would probably have left the bit about Daddy off, unless the kid was idolizing Daddy, and in that case then yeah it is appropriate.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    It is like I told my son. If he gets in trouble, it embarrasses me, so I then have a right to embarrass him back. Being older and more experienced, I can be more creative!
    I would probably have left the bit about Daddy off, unless the kid was idolizing Daddy, and in that case then yeah it is appropriate.

I would have made my child go back to the store and apologize, work off anything he couldn't bring back and probably take away some privileges, but I would NEVER make my child stand outside holding a sign like that. If my son was THAT bad, I would have the authorities make him do community service or something constructive.

This is great! I'm sure he'll think twice before he does something like that again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast