GUILTY UT - Deserae Turner, 14, shot in the head, Smithfield, 17 Feb 2017 *Arrests*

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Prosecutors: 2 teen boys in Utah shot 14-year-old girl in head to rob her; they got $55

Prosecutors say two Utah teens charged with shooting a 14-year-old girl in the back of the head and leaving her wounded in a ditch lured her there with a plan to rob and kill her.

Charging documents filed Tuesday say the 16-year-old boys told the girl, Deserae Turner, they wanted to sell her a knife, but after she arrived, they shot her. She’s in critical condition in a medically induced coma.

Teens who shot Cache County girl in the head intended that she die, charges state
Charging documents allege that the shooting was a plot to murder Deserae Turner.

The boys were charged in 1st District Court with one count each of first-degree felony attempted aggravated murder and aggravated robbery, and four counts each of second-degree felony obstructing justice.

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 618
Can't name the defendants because they are underage (16), yet they are old enough to commit the crime. Deserae is only 14 much younger than the defendants, I am glad we have a name to her face. Deserae praying for you sweetheart you didn't deserve this!

Can't name the defendants because they are underage (16), yet they are old enough to commit the crime. Deserae is only 14 much younger than the defendants, I am glad we have a name to her face. Deserae praying for you sweetheart you didn't deserve this!

I agree that some crimes committed by juveniles should be kept secret by the courts because they are "silly" things that they could undoubtedly move past them. I'm talking about shoplifting, possession/intoxication, traffic stuff, etc. We, the public, should be made aware of kids who kill (or even assault) people, as those kids are indeed threats to their communities.

from earlier link:
Each of the boys carried a knife to the meeting place, one of the teens told police, but he also carried .22-caliber revolver as a "secondary weapon," if the original plan failed. That teen also admitted to police that he shot Turner in the back of the head, according to the charging documents, and later penned a written apology to Turner's family saying he was "so so so sorry."

The two planned to steal from the girl after they killed her, according to charging documents. After the shooting, the boys allegedly took Turner's backpack, cellphone and iPod, along with money from her purse.

Sorry doesn't help anything at this point.

Sorry, I stumbled onto this and I don't belong here, but two 16 year old boys lured a 14 year old girl into a trap. They were going to stab her to death but had to go with plan 'B' and shoot her in the back of the head. And we're worried about protecting their identity because they're underage? Do we really think a 16 year old doesn't understand the consequences of their actions because they're two years away from being recognized as an adult?

This is none of my business. I don't know the facts. But had these teenagers committed sexual acts, they would have been put on a sexual predator list for the rest of the lives. They would have to register everywhere they live. And if somehow they say they're sorry and the court is lenient, these records could be sealed. No one would know that either of these boys attempted murder. I get to know about the sexual predator next door, but not the person who attempts 1st degree murder by luring a 14 year old girl into a trap?

I still don't understand why the parents of Harris and Klebold weren't made to answer for not being...er...well...parents. "Oh, well, I was the parent. I got my sun a car and a credit card and made sure he had anything he wanted. I was a good parent. I don't understand why he would do such a thing."

Lets get ankle monitors for both the parents and the children who commit crimes. Lets force them to be within 5 feet of each other for 4 hours every day.

I have been trying to keep up with this case and there is a lot of missing information.

Namely, exactly WHY did these 2 boys plan to steal from her? I do not mean in terms of them wanting her things.

Personal experience flash back to 1972-3:

When I was in grade school I actually had a boy I barely knew (who will remain nameless, and happened to be a cousin of our next door neighbor at the time) threaten to burn down my house if I wasn't nice to him.

Well, my parents and I went to the principal about it and soon afterward this boy actually stayed away from me. Not sure if he was told that my father was a state policeman (which he was at the time).

Nowadays something like that can seem really scary, only it seems thing have become much worse.

I don't know why they pick and choose when to release the indentity of the suspects in cases like these. I've seen numerous cases where the identity of juveniles have been released for a lot less serious crimes. I wonder if the two boys have social connections in the community.

Utah teens accused of robbing, shooting 14-year-old girl ordered held in custody
At a hearing in juvenile court Wednesday, a judge ordered the 16-year-olds to be held until another hearing next week. The defendants' names have not been made public because they are juveniles, but Cache County Attorney James Swink said he wants to try them as adults.

Police in Smithfield have not provided a motive for the attack on Deserae Turner, who is in a medically induced coma, but one of the boys said they were driven by greed.

Prayers to Deserae! I hope she pulls through and can lead a normal life.

Poor girl! What I wanna know is WHY would SHE be buying a KNIFE?! Is that weird or is it just me?

Poor girl! What I wanna know is WHY would SHE be buying a KNIFE?! Is that weird or is it just me?

She could have thought it would be good self-defence. The irony.
I know a young woman who collects knives, not because she has a violent bone in her body she just thinks they're cool and she is a bit 'alternative'. So that's a possibility too.

My next door neighbor is this sweet girl's uncle. I have known about this case since the day it happened. It is terribly sad. I know the rules here on WS, so I won't say much more. However, please pray for her. She is literally fighting for her life. :cry:

They lured her there with the intent to "purchase a knife from her". That is why she brought a knife.

I don't know why they pick and choose when to release the indentity of the suspects in cases like these. I've seen numerous cases where the identity of juveniles have been released for a lot less serious crimes. I wonder if the two boys have social connections in the community.

It doesn't have the 'ring' of social connections, or 'affluenza,' IMO. Anything is possible, of course, because (attempted) murder never makes sense. 'Greed' as a motivating factor and a spent shell casing on a window ledge kept as a 'memento' seems to indicate something far more pathological than grievous, teen angst, imho.

I will (try to) reserve judgment until we know more. The AP knows the identities/names but are 'choosing' to withhold that information for now. You're correct, media/local LE often cherry pick whose identity to protect (or not) under the juvenile umbrella. Plenty of youthful offenders are made known to the public, especially when it involves murder. Maybe some of that falls under state specific law, who knows?

My guess is whomever was involved in this heinous crime doesn't fit the 'profile' to push a favorite media narrative, or worse, fits a profile that conflicts with a social agenda. Time will tell but the lack of commentary on the interwebz regarding this ghastly crime is very unsettling and I'm curious as to the silence. Utah is a bizarre location for a something of this magnitude, that's for sure.

Prayers for Deserae and her family. What a senseless nightmare.

They lured her there with the intent to "purchase a knife from her". That is why she brought a knife.

Excuse me if I'm mistaken but I thought it was the other way around...

Excuse me if I'm mistaken but I thought it was the other way around...

I apologize, I may have misheard my neighbor. I have been so busy lately, I haven't even read most of the local news articles.

Either way, if she was purchasing a knife, I can see her bringing the one she owns to show it off. Or, possibly to use as a trade. Again, I am sorry if I misunderstood.

I apologize, I may have misheard my neighbor. I have been so busy lately, I haven't even read most of the local news articles.

Either way, if she was purchasing a knife, I can see her bringing the one she owns to show it off. Or, possibly to use as a trade. Again, I am sorry if I misunderstood.

Its fine! I've done those same kinda things tons of times! Just wanted to make sure facts were straight! :winkaway:

Thank God! Such a sweet and beautiful girl. I hope she will make a full recovery.

While I am not sure I can agree to ' charge the parents' I can definitely FEEL what you mean by this. It has to stop and we are responsible for the children we raise.
This is genius ""Lets get ankle monitors for both the parents and the children who commit crimes. Lets force them to be within 5 feet of each other for 4 hours every day.'''' Know your child!

ETA Sorry , I did the reply wrong. This was a reply to this post. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-boys-Logan-Feb-2017&p=13170163#post13170163

Police testimony: Teens conspired to 'get rid of' 14-year-old girl who was messaging boy

According to a statement the alleged gunman gave to police, the boys were playing video games one day when one said he would like to "get rid of" 14-year-old Deserae, who was sending him messages on social media.

"I just didn't want anything to do with Snapchatting her anymore," the boy wrote in his statement, which was read aloud by police.

His friend replied, "Well you've got a 6-inch blade, why don't you do it yourself?" according to the statement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back