NY NY - Alice Crimmins, accused of killing her 2 babies, Bronx, July 1965

Laura_Bean

Reaction score
Alice Crimmins lived in the Bronx, in a good area that had seen little crime. The story is, that Alice married young, and decided she wanted a divorce from her husband so she could have sex with whomever she felt like. Her husband was not happy when she broke it off with him.

Alice was a very racy woman for her time. She had several boyfriends, dressed sexy, etc.

The kids seemed to have it bad right from birth. Their mother wanted to have a fun life. Their father once admitted to "showing his privates" to kids, (not his) at a park.... The mother's boyfriends weren't great guys. One was cheating on his wife, and was also bisexual, and was worried her kids might tell his wife as the kids had either seen it or heard their mother talking about it. Another boyfriend was a mafia guy, still another was a rich man who was adamant he did not want kids. And to top that all off, the mom had a lock on the outside of the kids door, (she had told people this was because the older child had gotten into the kitchen at night to "raid the fridge", and when she began locking them in their room, they would sometimes open the window, break the screen out, climb out and go through the front of the home to get to the fridge, which makes me think she was starving them... The father was also sneaking into the home, to listen from the basement while his wife "entertained her new boyfriends".

LE isn't investigating this anymore. So sad.

The 13th of July was Alice's birthday. She claimed she took the kids out for a picnic, than stopped at the grocer's to get some veal, she claimed she fed the kids veal for supper and they went to bed. She said she closed the window, and locked their door and went to bed, and she claimed at midnight she got the boy up to go potty, and than headed back to bed.... In the morning the kids were missing, the window open, the screen pushed out.

She freaked out and called her ex, who said he did not have the kids and came over. The police were called.

Later that day they loaded Alice into a cop car not telling her where they were headed. They took her to a field and showed her the dead body of her strangled daughter. A couple of days later her son was found dead too.

There are a lot of weird things about this case, one that bothers me is that the kids stomachs contained no veal, but instead, contained pasta. Cantelloni was found in the house..... Why would the mom lie about the food she fed?

The mom didn't act like a grieving mom either. She didn't cry, unless the news cameras and reporters were around. She claimed she did all of her crying in private.

A week after the children were murdered, Alice was partying, having sex, laughing, dancing, drinking, smoking. Etc.

She was convicted but later it was overturned.

What is truly sad is it isn't even considered a cold case by LE, no one seems to care about what happened to these two little children. :(

Local Law Enforcement at the time, hated Alice Crimmins. Upon meeting her for the first time, the detective told his partner, you talk to the husband, I will take "the *****". He disliked and suspected her upon sight. Many people believe that Alice Crimmins was treated unfairly, as she was a feminist, when women had first started becoming feminist. She had left her husband, had multiple boyfriends, wore makeup even on the day her kids went missing, was not acting the "scared mom". Etc.

The killings of the Crimmins children
by Ron Marzlock, Chronicle Contributor

4fabd74ee1132.image.jpg

Alice and Edmund Crimmins leaving their Kew Gardens Hills home on July 16, 1965, two days after their children “disappeared.”

The name Alice Crimmins isn’t that well known today, but almost 47 years ago she was vilified as the Susan Smith of her generation. Her children, Eddie Jr., age 5, and Missy, age 4, vanished from their garden apartment in Kew Gardens Hills at 150-22 72 Drive on July 14, 1965 — victims of an alleged kidnapping.

[...]

Several days after being reported missing, little Missy was found strangled. Later Eddie was also found dead but too decomposed to show a cause of death.

http://www.qchron.com/qboro/i_have_...cle_9648b656-5d87-5a8b-ba3f-57db63eccb2e.html

Also, Alice Crimmins is said to be the "Casey Anthony" of her time.

It was def. a botched investigation from the get go. The local police felt they had their answer in Alice, and they didn't really do any police work to back it up or to see if there were other possibilities.

Alice very well could be their killer, but they never looked for evidence to back it up.

Here are some things that could connect her:

She lied about what she fed the kids last OR someone else fed them the pasta. One thing that stands out to me, is the kids were prone to leaving their room and getting food. By the way of the window. Does the fact that pasta found in the apartment and that was still in their tummies, prove they left by the window, came inside, and got the pasta themselves? Or did mom feed it to them and forget? Or did mom lie?

Alice took a lie detector test but a few minutes into it she claimed she heard people laughing and movement from behind a one way mirror, and left. Her husband took one too and passed.

Alice married the rich guy who didn't want kids after her release from prison....

Someone believed she had seen and overheard Alice and a man carrying a bundle with a little boy and that the man tossed the bundle in the car and the woman said Don't hurt her! The woman, however had mental problems and people said was too far away to overhear a conversation. And another family with a red headed wife said they were the ones the mentally disturbed woman saw.

Alice is still alive, and there are rumors she has moved back to the same area she lived in with her children. I would love to talk to her, and just ask her some questions.....

Wow!

This is a very interesting case,

Did Alice kill her kids because she did not want anything to do with them anymore? Or, could they have been killed by someone who resented her, or her extremist partying life-style? An act of revenge? This would be a great case to get some DNA forensic evidence, that could either possibly convict Alice or exonerate her for some final closure.

The pasta, verses what she said she fed the kids veal, is interesting. Why would she lie about that?

Satch

Another thing to consider, is the kids were very friendly, and would often sit at the window, waving and talking to perfect strangers. This case is so perplexing because there are just so many possibilities.

It would have been easy for some pedophile to gain the kids trusts, and come back for them. As they were overly friendly, I guess with being locked in their room constantly, they just talked to whomever they saw outside, waving, etc. The moms boyfriends all could have had motive. The one older man who was rich but did not want kids, but obviously wanted the mom. The boyfriend who was a mafia man, could he have said something the kids overheard and he got afraid the kids would talk? The bisexual man who had a boyfriend and a wife and the kids DID see or overhear something admitted he was terrified the kids might accidentally mentioned something to his wife. You have the husband (the dad of the kids), who admits to taking out his penis in a park full of children and showed the kids..... And the mom too, whose BIRTHDAY was the day before the kids disappeared. Was this her "birthday present" to herself? She may have been fed up with being a parent, and did not want the kids, but also felt like if I can't have them no one can.... Or, was this an act of revenge by her ex husband or someone else who disliked her? Kill the kids on her birthday?

I feel like a great injustice has been committed here, because the police are not investigating this case. But I would think that exhuming the boy and girl might help a lot, and solve the case. I wonder if the police would ever consider doing so..... The boy, was so badly decomposed, they could not figure out how he even died...... I wonder if exhuming him, and having his body examined could at least clear up how he died....

Alice is still alive, and there are rumors she has moved back to the same area she lived in with her children. I would love to talk to her, and just ask her some questions.....

Interesting story, Laura. Hard to say what happened here.

If anyone does get to chat with Alice I would love to hear what she has to say after all these years. I want to know if she feels a great injustice has been made against her children.

Interesting story, Laura. Hard to say what happened here.

If anyone does get to chat with Alice I would love to hear what she has to say after all these years. I want to know if she feels a great injustice has been made against her children.

I wonder that as well..... If she did it, I wonder if she would say she did, it has been so many years....

One thing I am considering, is if it happened by accident?

The one witness who swore she saw the mother holding a boy by the hand, with a man with a mummy wrapped blanket that she thought could be a small child..... Well her statement sort of matches a man the mom was dating, who swore that she once told him "I killed HER"...... Which would mean Missy.....

But if Alice accidentally killed Missy, what happened to the boy?

There were so many problems with this case. It was easy to assume that Alice did not want the burden of being a single mom however, she was actually preparing for a custody battle against Edmund. She had been cleaning and was trying to tone things down a bit. If she hadn't wanted her kids there was definitely an easier out than murder.

[bbm]

why would the kids ever be in contact with his wife?

Another thing to consider, is the kids were very friendly, and would often sit at the window, waving and talking to perfect strangers. This case is so perplexing because there are just so many possibilities.

It would have been easy for some pedophile to gain the kids trusts, and come back for them. As they were overly friendly, I guess with being locked in their room constantly, they just talked to whomever they saw outside, waving, etc. The moms boyfriends all could have had motive. The one older man who was rich but did not want kids, but obviously wanted the mom. The boyfriend who was a mafia man, could he have said something the kids overheard and he got afraid the kids would talk? The bisexual man who had a boyfriend and a wife and the kids DID see or overhear something admitted he was terrified the kids might accidentally mentioned something to his wife. You have the husband (the dad of the kids), who admits to taking out his penis in a park full of children and showed the kids..... And the mom too, whose BIRTHDAY was the day before the kids disappeared. Was this her "birthday present" to herself? She may have been fed up with being a parent, and did not want the kids, but also felt like if I can't have them no one can.... Or, was this an act of revenge by her ex husband or someone else who disliked her? Kill the kids on her birthday?

1. Very suspicious this happened on her birthday. Someone was extremely vindictive towards the mother.
2. I'm guessing the lock was on the door so that the kids wouldn't walk in on the mom having sex.
3. Why were the kids not dumped together? That seems really odd and risky. Were the kids not killed at the same time?

I just watched "A Crime to Remember" on Hulu. If I'd heard of this case at all prior it was in passing or a quick comparison to Casey Anthony.

However, while I strongly believe Casey Anthony is guilty of murdering her daughter, Caylee, I don't think Alice Crimmins is guilty.

My initial impression at the beginning of the show was that Alice was innocent, and that impression only grew into a belief that not only did the prosecution not prove their case, I don't think she's even the best suspect.

Then I found this long article, and, yeah, still just don't see this lady as guilty.

It is super weird how the boy was found separated from the sister, and it's unfortunate that he wasn't found at the same time. That detail could actually indicate Alice as the perp, IMO, as it kinda makes it looks like a caregiver, and she would be the only one to fit that, became frustrated with one child and killed them in anger or "accident" during discipline, then killed the other to cover. But it also made me think it was a pedophile and one of the kids wasn't their preferred gender...(Groene kids come to mind).

What fascinating and tragic events.

ETA oops I forgot to add the link

https://hazlitt.net/longreads/why-cant-you-behave-revisiting-case-alice-crimmins

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back