MN MN - Veronica Safranski, 40, Argyle, 31 Oct 1996

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
It's the faces of family members that haunt Marshall County (Minn.) Sheriff Herb Maurstad, who's been searching for 40-year-old Veronica Safranski since she was reported missing around Halloween in 1996.

The Argyle, Minn., woman was last seen around 12:15 a.m. Oct. 27, in Warren, Minn.

There are no updates on Safranski's disappearance, but Maurstad said there's always something each year to investigate.

"Like any missing person's case, through the year we'll have a person come in with something suspicious they've found, something that looks a little unusual," he said. "The one lead we've been waiting for hasn't come into our office."

Maurstad often visits Safranski's parents, who still live in the area.

"It's really, really hard on families," he said.

The faces of family members always have the same questions riding in their eyes, according to Maurstad.

"You look into (Safranski's parents') eyes, and you see the agony. You don't know how they feel. You can try to imagine," he said.

"There's always that glimmer of hope, that we'll find her," he said.

"You can never give up, you never know when that one thing will come in."
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/13322981.htm

It's so obvious the guy she left the party had something to do with her disappearance...especially with prior sexual assault convictions.

I'm sure LE thinks so too, but with no body and no evidence they have to let him walk free.

Most likely he choked her or used some other kind of manuever so there would be no blood or forensic evidence. I'm sure LE has searched his house and car.

So sad.

If you believe that there is a resemblance between the two photographs, here is a link to the messagethread on WS containing the photographs of the unidentified women:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1066448

The thread was entitled, "Do You Recognize Any of These Women?" and here is the first posting from that other thread:

PsychesKnot said:
0410794335_mysterywomen525.jpg

Photos of these women were found in the possession of a man suspected of being a serial killer.

I realize it is a long shot to think anyone here would know them, but you just never know.

Newstory:
http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=52871

I simply can't believe that in this day and age, that there is so little information provided.

There is only one photograph, and I can't even tell if it's her natural hair color.

There is no description of Kevin Skjerven, apparently nothing about him anywhere online.

Original newspaper articles are no longer online.

The ONLY thing that I know about this woman is that she probably spends time in tanning booths, but that can't be for sure, because maybe she had just returned from a vacation in the tropics.

IF this woman is alive, and like 80% of all other missing adults disappeared voluntarily and is now living under an assumed identity, there is absolutely NO identifying characteristics ------- WHAT did she enjoy doing? Was she a lousy cook, did she play cards, did she like kids, did she jog, did she have a sweet tooth, what kind of music did she fancy??

I'm just astounded with the utter absence of identifying details in the available info about so many missing adults.

It is simply so illogical.

Evidentally, the LEOs strongly suspect foul play --- but then they don't even tell you what her Halloween costume looked like, in one place it is described as a "pochohantas" costume.

Well, if she's alive, I seriously doubt she's wearing it now, ten years later.

But, if they suspect she's a victim, then...... WHY don't they describe the costume, they don't say if it's a dress, they don't tell the color, they say NOTHING.

It's simply illogical that so few details are provided.

Here's some info about Kristi Nikle who disappeared from the same area as Vonnie, and during the same month & year, October 1996.

FBI Missing Person Investigation - Kristi Lynn Nikle Photograph of Kristi Lynn Nikle ... Law enforcement authorities are seeking information regarding the disappearance of Kristi Lynn Nikle.
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/nikle.htm

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Kidnappings and Missing Persons
Photograph of and link to Kristi Lynn Nikle · Kristi Lynn Nikle
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/kidmiss.htm

Kristi Lynn Nikle
Kristi Lynn Nikle 1 Above Image: Nikle, circa 1996. Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance; Missing Since: October 3, 1996 from Grand Forks, North Dakota ...
http://www.doenetwork.us/nampn/cases/nikle_kristi.html

The Doe Network: Case File 1668DFND Kristi Lynn Nikle, missing person. ... Kristi Lynn Nikle Missing since October 10, 1996 from Grand Forks, Grand Forks County, North Dakota ... http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1668dfnd.html

The Charley Project: Kristi Lynn Nikle http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/nikle_kristi.html

Missing Persons
Veronica Safranski - Missing October 26, 1996. Missing from Warren Minnesota. Kristi Lynn Nikle. Missing October 10, 1996. Missing from Grand Forks North Dakota ...
http://www.grandforkscounty.net/sheriff/missing_persons.htm

Well, I guess that there are some archived news articles about Voni still available in some online newspaper archives, but you have to pay to access them.

I wish there were more photos of her online, but can't find a thing, and there's absolutely nothing anywhere about her occupation or her hobbies and interests or her educational background.

The only mention I've seen was in on a discussion forum at AETV and in a blog entry, a very eerie blog entry, from two and a half years ago, immediately after the abduction of Dru Sjodin from the same area.

http://loneprairie.net/2003/11/find-dru.htm
November 29, 2003

...On Saturday, Dru Sjodin (pronounced show-deen) was abducted from the Columbia Mall parking lot in Grand Forks.....

......Just yesterday, another young woman was abducted in Fertile, Minnesota, which is not far from Grand Forks. This woman, although hit in the forehead and pushed into the abductor's car, managed to escape when the car slowed down.

Dad commented that there was something strange about such a rural area with such a low population having experienced the amount of abductions and disappearances that have occurred in the past years, particularly young women.

There was the Julie Holmquist case which was extremely horrifying. She had been roller blading on the highway and disappeared. Pieces from her walkman were found along the road. Eventually, her body was found in terrible condition near some quarry or slough, I believe. For a few years, it looked like the case would go unsolved, but they did solve it. The man who abducted, assaulted and killed her committed suicide shortly before the police went to make the final arrest.

There was Erika Dalquist. There was a girl named Kristy Nickle, and Veronica Safranski. There have been too many for such a low populated area.
What's going on?

posted by Julie Neidlinger on 6:21 PM | link |

That is eery............here is the post from the Charley Project re her dissapearance:

Missing Since: October 26, 1996 from Warren, Minnesota
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: March 13, 1956
Height and Weight: 5'4, 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair, blue eyes. Safranski's ears are pierced. Her nickname is Voni. Some agencies may hyphenate her last name, as in "Lenhart-Safranski."
Clothing Description: A Pocahontas costume and a Mary Kay ring with diamonds in the shape of the letter "S."

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Safranski attended a Halloween costume party with a friend at Mick's Bar and Grill in Warren, Minnesota on October 26, 1996. A photo of the restaurant is posted below this case summary. Safranski's friend was unable to locate her inside the establishment at approximately 12:30 a.m. Witnesses told authorities that Safranski and Kevin Skjerven were seen together around the same time. They departed from the restaurant in his black 1997 Dodge Power Wagon pickup truck with Oregon license plates. Safranski has never been heard from again.

Safranski was reported as a missing person later during the day. In late 1996, a belt believed to be part of her costume was found along a country road half a mile south of the crossing of Marshall County roads 8 and 6. An extensive search of the area failed to produce additional evidence as to her whereabouts.

Investigators said that Skjerven has a history of sexual assault convictions. He admitted that he departed from Mick's Bar and Grill with Safranski, but claimed that he did not know what happened to her afterwards. Skjerven has never been charged in connection with her disappearance. He was released from prison on unrelated charges in 2002.

Authorities said that there are many wooded areas in Marshall County where Safranski's remains could be easily concealed. Her body has never been located. Safranski resided in Argyle, Minnesota at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

SafranskiBar.jpg

Above: Mick's Bar and Grill Thanks to Meahgan Goode we have this additional info!

bar.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Marshall County Sheriff's Office
218-745-5411

bar.jpg

Source Information
Minnesota Department Of Public Safety
The National Center for Missing Adults
Minnesota Public Radio
The Grand Forks Herald

bar.jpg
Charley Project Home

Nickel was last seen Oct 3, 1996. The Tapson Connection is as follows:

Nickel suffered from a mild mental disability. Floyd Todd Tapson was a serial killer of retarded women---he was the supervisor of many group homes for the disabled. He was seen in a car w/ her and she allegedly bragged about having a boyfriend named Todd---he has not been charged in her dissapearance. (Is Floyd a preferred name among serial killers...just joking:p ). Hope this helps.

OK, I found a few notes. Aside from Kristi he is also suspected in the homicide of Renae Lynn Nelson, age 22, who disappeared from Moorhead in 1994 and found floating in the Red River several months later.

He is also a suspect in the 1987 disappearance of Carla Beth Anderson of Wadena, MN.

Before moving to MT he had worked at group homes in Grand Forks, Fargo, and Crookston.

Here is a kink for her:

http://www.spotlightoncrime.org/case_dalquist_erika.cfm

I hope it works...let me know if it does not. Following is a portion of the article as reported on Spotlight on Crime...:

SAINT PAUL (January 17, 2006) — Spotlight on Crime today announced itwill distribute a $50,000 reward between three people who helped discover the body of Erika Dalquist in May 2004.

This crucial discovery eventually led to the capture and arrest of William “Billy” Gene Myears. The Dalquist case was officially closed this past October when Myears pled guilty to Dalquist’s murder in Crow Wing County District Court. Myears’ arrest ended a manhunt involving the FBI that intensified after Dalquist’s remains were found in a shallow grave on Myears’ grandparents’ property near Brainerd.

Searching for closure: 20 years after Veronica Safranski vanished, a family continues searching

http://www.inforum.com/news/minnesota/4147868-searching-closure-20-years-after-veronica-safranski-vanished-family-continues

On Oct. 26, 1996, Veronica "Voni" Safranski left Mick's Bar in Warren.

She never came home.

Safranksi's oldest daughter, now Angie Pence, was 20 years old that night. She turned 21 two days later, while enrolled at the University of North Dakota.

Today, Pence said she and her siblings are leading good lives. All the siblings are married. They all have three children. She moved to Billings, Mont., with her husband about a year and a half ago. They like it there. Through hard times, she said the family thinks of the white rose, a traditional symbol of reverence, love and strength that became a favorite of Safranski when her son, Bradley, died.

But her mind still wanders back to 1996, especially this week.

Over the years, she said a list of about 20 scenarios still goes through her head, each with a different explanation of what transpired that night two decades ago.

"We never got closure," Pence said.

Pence feels the man who left Mick's Bar with Safranski 20 years ago is that person. There was a Halloween party at Mick's Bar that night. Safranski was dressed in a Native American costume. She left with a man in his 1977 black Dodge Power Wagon, according to authorities. That man was not charged in her disappearance. No one ever has been.

"We know he was a bad man," Pence said. "We know he was involved in her life before that."

That man is Kevin Scott Skjerven, and he was investigated and cleared by law enforcement.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4147691-searching-closure

When reached by the Herald, Skjerven said the media tried to portray him as guilty, but he said he'd cooperated with law enforcement and did nothing wrong.

"She like followed me out the door," Skjerven said of Oct. 26, 1996.

He said she told him her friends had left her there.

"I just tried to help someone out," Skjerven said. "I've been doing that my whole life."

Skjerven said he didn't remember much about what happened that night when asked where the two went afterward.

Mick's Bar hasn't changed much in the 20 years since Safranski was last there.

The case remains the same, too. But that could change at any time, authorities say. One of these days that shoe in the field might lead to something, and a family's questions may be answered.

"We get all these tips, and they never seem to pan out," Chief Deputy John Tinnes said. "But one day it will."

NamUs

safranski_veronica.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy