Ireland - Catholic orphanage, 800 graves of children

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score

mass grave containing the remains of babies and young children has been discovered at a former Catholic orphanage in Ireland, government-appointed investigators announced Friday in a finding that offered the first conclusive proof following a historian's efforts to trace the fates of nearly 800 children who perished there.

DUBLIN -- Forensics experts say they have found a mass grave for young children at a former Catholic orphanage in Ireland where suspicions of unrecorded, unmarked burials have lingered for decades.
Friday’s announcement by the government-appointed Mother and Baby Homes Commission confirms a 2014 investigation by a local historian who found death certificates for nearly 800 children who died at the home in Tuam, County Galway, from its opening in 1925 to its 1961 closure.

[FONT=&amp]Excavations at site of home for unmarried mothers and their children, where it is alleged up to 800 children died, uncover human remains

Sky News
[/FONT]
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-ireland-catholic-orphange-mass-grave-20170303-story.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/catholic-orphanage-childrens-mass-grave-found-county-galway-ireland/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/catholic-orphanage-childrens-mass-grave-found-county-galway-ireland/

BBC Our World 2014 Irelands Hidden Bodies Hidden Secrets

[video=youtube;MyE4Nuw_U1k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE4Nuw_U1k[/video]

Tuam and Ireland's shame: unedited interview with Catherin Corless

[video=youtube;Jw4UKfZqTzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw4UKfZqTzw[/video]

is this sort of a cider house rules kinda place?

this place sounds like it was a cider house rules..... the days before safe and legal abortion :( but the toddlers? idk sad all around

Tuam and Ireland's shame: unedited interview with Catherin Corless

[video=youtube;Jw4UKfZqTzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw4UKfZqTzw[/video]

Much praise for this woman. It took a lot of strength and character to do the research and push the authorities to investigate these deaths. I'm guessing that questioning the Catholic Church isn't an easy thing to do in Ireland.

I'm so shocked that this abuse, and the enslavement of these women continued up until the 1990's. Wow.

Much praise for this woman. It took a lot of strength and character to do the research and push the authorities to investigate these deaths. I'm guessing that questioning the Catholic Church isn't an easy thing to do in Ireland.

I'm so shocked that this abuse, and the enslavement of these women continued up until the 1990's. Wow.

Agreed, what an amazing,lady.

I think questioning the Catholic Church in Ireland was traditionally very difficult to do. However I don't think it has the hold that it once did and younger Nuns and Priests are much more likely to take up the baton and look for acknowledgment of the wrongs which have been done.

I have a close friend who is a catholic priest and he says quite frankly that the church has a horrific history. The church themselves are now VERY hot on safeguarding. My friend sometimes pops over for dinner here and the fuss that caused was unbelievable...because I have a child. They actively wanted to prevent him coming over for dinner, he got into a real headlock with them over it because he has little time to himself and wants to spend free time with his friends. All now sorted...but he had to agree with them and me that he wouldn't ever be alone with my son. Not that his happens anyway as I am always here.

The Mother and Baby homes were in some cases appalling. I gather some were lovely too but some were notorious and it seems pretty much that these were judgemental and severe. Some Nuns were awful people, my grandmother (long dead) was taught by them in Ireland as a child. She always said "they were called the Sisters of Mercy but there was nothing merciful about them".

These children may have died of natural causes..we will never know. But to see them buried and forgotten is awful. It seems there WERE headstones or markers of some kind but nobody thought the children important enough to maintain that little graveyard when the home was closed. So terribly sad and shocking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I realise this thread is quite old but just wanted to point out that I'm watching a documentary on ITV in the UK it's called The Missing Children. It started half hour ago but you maybe able to catch it on +1 on Sky or Catch up.

Forgive the obtuseness of the question, but why couldn't a woman just live with her family if the man responsible for the pregnancy was not wanting to help...?

Why couldn't she keep working (assuming she had work), live in a normal rented room and then give birth and right away put her child up for adoption if she chose?

Forgive the obtuseness of the question, but why couldn't a woman just live with her family if the man responsible for the pregnancy was not wanting to help...?

Why couldn't she keep working (assuming she had work), live in a normal rented room and then give birth and right away put her child up for adoption if she chose?

Well, going back even to 1960s many families would turn their daughters out of the family home if they did get pregnant before marriage. This was because it was looked on as a disgrace and brought the family into disrepute. Many of these pregnant females were still young, in their teens probably.

In an ideal world the pregnant mum could go on working, but these females were placed in the mother and baby home many against their wishes. From the outside, the home looked clean, respectable and who would think that nuns and the Catholic Church would let such atrocities happen. No chance of the mum getting out it seems until it was time. They couldn't afford to rent a place of their own but I bet they would have loved it if they could.

I hope that's of some help to you.

It was the worst shame to have a female family member get pregnant outside of marriage. Not only was the woman shamed, but the baby was shamed as well and would never have been accepted. The Catherin Corless video upthread is heartbreaking to watch. The shame those carry, who treated the children who came from there to the school with such disdain. Orphans who ended up at the home who had come from intact marriages were treated differently; but the single moms and their babies were shamed.

There was a movie several years ago, Philomena, starring Judy Dench brought this horror to the public.

And of course the man was not held to the same measure ugggh
It was the worst shame to have a female family member get pregnant outside of marriage. Not only was the woman shamed, but the baby was shamed as well and would never have been accepted. The Catherin Corless video upthread is heartbreaking to watch. The shame those carry, who treated the children who came from there to the school with such disdain. Orphans who ended up at the home who had come from intact marriages were treated differently; but the single moms and their babies were shamed.

There was a movie several years ago, Philomena, starring Judy Dench brought this horror to the public.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back