GUILTY RI - The Station Nightclub Fire, 100 dead at Great White concert, 20 Feb 2003

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Judge refuses to dismiss manslaughter charges in nightclub fire

Tuesday, December 6, 2005 1:14 PM CST

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A judge on Monday refused to dismiss any of the manslaughter counts against three men charged in a 2003 nightclub fire that killed 100 people.

Defense lawyers had asked the judge to throw out the indictments, accusing prosecutors of withholding evidence that they believed helped their case.

Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, who owned The Station nightclub, and Daniel Biechele, manager of the rock band Great White, whose pyrotechnics started the deadly blaze, each have pleaded innocent after being indicted on 200 counts of involuntary manslaughter for the Feb. 20, 2003, fire.

Judge Francis J. Darigan Jr. dismissed accusations that prosecutors engaged in misconduct, saying a fax that came to light last month did not have to be presented to the grand jurors who indicted the three men in 2003.

More: http://www.picayuneitem.com/articles/2005/12/06/news/08greatwhite.txt

I remember seeing the film footage and thinking...how could anyone be sooooo dumb as to think they could shoot firworks up like that and it would all turn out ok. I mean Duh:bang:

It was pretty obvious to me that the ceiling in the place was very low.....

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- It was a decision he'd made plenty of times before: set off some pyrotechnics to get the crowds stirred up for a night of heavy metal music. But one fateful night in February 2003, inside a gritty Rhode Island nightclub, something went terribly wrong.

Now, three years after the flashy display sparked a fire that killed 100 concertgoers, Daniel Biechele _ former tour manager for the rock band Great White _ will spend up to a decade in prison thinking about the lives lost in a horrid blaze that left the state reeling.Biechele will be back in Rhode Island next week to plead guilty to 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter after reaching a deal with prosecutors that calls for him to serve a maximum of 10 years in state prison.

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4437361

This fire was one of those incidents that sticks out in my mind. I remember where I was when the news broke, etc... I watched the news coverage as it happened. I was so struck by the devastation and incredible loss of life. I am glad this terrible saga is coming to an end, without all these wounds having to be repopened by a trial. The tragedy is so heart wrenching...

This was sad .. I remember when it happened.. I think it's a sad case all the way around.. No one was meant to be killed... :( :(

Jury Selection Starts in R.I. Nightclub Fire
By ERIC TUCKER
AP
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Sept. 5) - Jury selection began Tuesday for the highly anticipated trial of one of the owners of the nightclub where a fire killed 100 people three years ago.

Michael Derderian is the first person to stand trial for the Feb. 20, 2003, blaze at The Station, which began when sparks from stage pyrotechnics ignited soundproofing foam on the club's walls and ceiling. It was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, and also injured more than 200 people.

More at link: http://tinyurl.com/zjdkl

From December 2006:

http://www.browndailyherald.com/200...-sentenced-for-their-role-in-fatal-2003-fire/

Owners of the Station nightclub in West Warwick were sentenced Friday for their role in the 2003 fire that killed 100 people and injured countless others. Brothers Michael and Jeffrey Derderian pled no contest to 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter...

Michael Derderian will serve four years of a 15-year sentence for his role in the worst fire in Rhode Island history. The remainder of his sentence is suspended pending the successful completion of a three-year probation.

Jeffrey Derderian received a 10-year suspended sentence and will not serve jail time, instead getting three years of probation and 500 hours of community service.

Report of the Technical Investigation of The Station Nightclub Fire
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...VPUB-C13-a3976672cebdbe486ff4ba4c416159be.pdf

—-
Homeland Security:
Report of the Technical Investigation of the Station Nightclub Fire

The Station | All Seven Episodes

Station Fire documentary

Surviving the Station Nightclub Fire

This video is important as it is an INTRO segment PRE-FIRE not seen in other videos / there is also a segment at the end inside the fire, graphic warning

WARNING VERY GRAPHIC

—-

NFPA - The Station nightclub fire

—-

—-

RI STATION NIGHTCLUB FIRE Survivor RAUL "MIKE" VARGAS Recounts His Harrowing Ordeal

—-

5-6 p.m. entire Station Fire coverage

—-

Fire Marshal, State Ask Dismissal from R.I. Nightclub Fire Case

Questions still linger over fire inspector’s role - The Boston Globe

The Station Documentary (part 1)

The Station Documentary (part 2)

The Station Documentary (part 3)

The Station Documentary (part 4)

The Station Documentary (part 5)

The Station Documentary (part 6)

Episode 7 The Station Documentary: Sprinklers Save Lives

—-

The Station Nightclub Disaster - Rhode Island - BBC News Report

—-

Ty Longley - Wikipedia

Great White guitarist lives on through young son's efforts

Son of Great White guitarist cheers sick children to honor his dad

—-

The Station Nightclub Fire 2003
Report of the Technical Investigation of The Station Nightclub Fire (NIST NCSTAR 2), Volume 1

Report of the Technical Investigation of The Station Nightclub Fire: Appendices (NIST NCSTAR 2), Volume 2

—-

National Construction Safety Team Investigation The Station Nightclub Fire:
Emergency Response Federal Advisory Committee
June 23, 2004
https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/05/09/StationNightclubEmergencyResponse.pdf

Last edited:
Interview with drummer who played in opening band:

Dave Kane on Station Nightclub Fire Documentary

—-

At Least 10 Dead in Huge R.I. Club Fire
February 20, 2003

“The fire comes four days after 21 people were killed and more than 50 injured during a stampede in a Chicago nightclub that began when a security guard used pepper spray to break up a fight.”

—-

Biechele Freed After Prison Sentence for Station Fire

—-

#22 GINA RUSSO Victim Impact Statement RI STATION NIGHTCLUB FIRE

—-

Foam Co. Reaches Settlement in RI Nightclub Fire

—-
Remembering the Victims of the Station Nightclub Fire - Rhode Island Monthly

—-

Images From Station Nightclub Fire

—-

“Jack Russell calls accident that killed over 100 fans “the 9/11 of rock n’ roll”
November 12, 2015
Great White Frontman to Apologize for Deadly 2003 Nightclub Fire in New Documentary (Audio)

——

station nightclub memorial

Extended Video:

WARNING VERY GRAPHIC:

—-

Jack Russell speaks out on the Station Nightclub Fire Ten Years Later

Jack Russel from Great White Interviewed

—-

Jack Russell talks about The Station nightclub fire

—-

—-

15 years later, survivors remember Station nightclub tragedy

—-

15 years after the Station Nightclub fire

station fire foundation re: jack russell

Damages | Bostonia

—-

The Station Fire Memorial Park was dedicated today with survivors, families, friends and dignitaries

Station Nightclub Memorial Video

—-

Hundreds attend dedication of Station Memorial Park

—-

Memorial Park Dedicated to Victims of Station Nightclub Fire

—-

Jack Russell Calls New Great White Documentary ‘Cathartic’
September 18, 2017

—-

The Station Nightclub Fire Memorial

—-

Rhode Island marks 15 years since 100 killed in club fire
Feb 20, 2018

Last edited:

—-

“For the first time in its 36-year history, Grammy nominated hard rock band legends, GREAT WHITE takes on its third frontman, Mitch Malloy. With a respectful nod to the past forging its tried-and-true mantra: these songs are bigger than any one member. That arsenal of songs include the Grammy nominated Best Hard Rock Performance hit, “Once Bitten, Twice Shy,” Great White has sold over 10 million albums worldwide, has six Top 100 Billboard hits, nine Top 200 Billboard albums, two platinum albums, and clocked the top of MTV four times.“

Queensrÿche with Stryper, Great White, Vixen & Gandhi's Gun
September 2, 2019

—-

Great White to rock Brown Grand Theatre
Fri, 09/06/2019 - 2:34pm

—-
FIREFIGHTING, PREVENTION, TRAINING, VIDEO

Learning from The Station Nightclub Fire
By Shannon Pieper | 2.20.19
https://www.firefighternation.com/2019/02/20/learning-from-the-station-nightclub-fire/#gref

—-

Station nightclub fire victims remembered 16 years later
Feb 20, 2019

Last edited:
I know many people from Warwick.... I remember the club, and I remember the night it burned.
I could go on and on.
There's a very nice Memorial where The Station Night Club once stood. The goal was to reach 2 million dollars to build it. Construction started when 1.6 million was raised.

Last edited:
Two minutes that seemed like forever
2/23/2003

—-

Fire Dept. response map / hydrants / hoses:
10252008110655AM.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors