50 Worst Cities for Respiratory Infections

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
50 Worst Cities for Respiratory Infections

December 6, 2005
New York -- A new analysis, which ranked the 50 worst cities for respiratory infections in the United States, was released today, naming Greenville, South Carolina as the top city for respiratory tract infections. Rounding off the top 10 are: Nashville, TN; Birmingham, AL; Oklahoma City, OK; Greensboro, NC; Little Rock, AR; Dallas, TX; Dayton, OH; Jacksonville, FL; and Charlotte, NC. Bert Sperling of Sperling's BestPlaces conducted the study.

A city was identified as a worst city for respiratory tract infections based on three criteria: (1) prevalence of the following: sinusitis, pharyngitis (sore throat), bronchitis, acute upper respiratory infections, pneumonia, otitis media (middle ear infection), other respiratory tract infections and the common cold; (2) total per capita prescriptions written for oral antibiotics for respiratory tract infections; and (3) prevalence of state level antibiotic resistance.

>>> continued at link

Well, I definitely agree with Birmingham, Alabama. I frequently had broncitis, sinusitis and even walking pneumonia one year. I haven't had those problems since moving from that area.

Oh, good. I live smack in the middle between Greenville, SC and Charlotte, NC.

Close to Birmingham here..cough cough hack hack! I just knew we'd make this list before I opened this link. :bang:

Nothing like the combo of humidity and smog.

I made #50. I wonder why NC has so many cities. We are moving there next summer and my son has severe chronic allergies, gets shots and takes mega medicines. I hope he doesn't get worse.

tompettyfan said:
Close to Birmingham here..cough cough hack hack! I just knew we'd make this list before I opened this link. :bang:
You can smell Birmingham long before you get to it. Not suprised it made the list.

My friend's daughter moved from Detroit to Charlotte, NC recently. Since she's moved, she hasn't had one asthma attack. But Charlotte is on the top 10 list.

I'm suprised Houston was not in the top ten. All this smog, refineries and chemical plants in this area.

Becba said:
You can smell Birmingham long before you get to it. Not suprised it made the list.

Thats the truth! I used to live further south, and when we'd come to visit relatives I'd be gagging long before we saw U.S Steel in the distance. The sad thing is, I don't even notice it anymore.

I never had a problem and never had an allergy before moving to Nashville.

I thought I had chronic fatigue or Epstein Bar while I was there because I was so sick all the time. I ended up getting pneumonia every spring and couldn't take it anymore.

I moved back to the Bay Area and love it. No more sinus infections and no headaches every single dingle day.

Where I live made the top 25!

I can never breathe well. I need one of those air purifiers and home humidifiers or whatever they are called. I have so much dust, too, and our air is dirty outside.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back