741 users online (85 members and 656 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

TX - Matthew Meinert, 38, Denton County, 6 March 2017

Dad still missing after toddler found safe during Denton Creek search

After a full day of searching, there was still no sign Tuesday evening of missing boater, Matthew Meinert, who disappeared in Denton Creek Monday.

His 2-year-old son, Oliver was found safe Tuesday morning.
    http://www.kvue.com/mb/news/local/se...reek/420545762

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

It's a little hard to imagine a circumstance that would kill the father but leave the child unharmed. I think this is very hopeful that the father is alive and well, and somewhere else.

Between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Monday, boaters found Meinert's flat-bottom aluminum fishing boat abandoned and beached up the creek from the boat launch. It was empty except for fishing gear, shoes and a cellphone.

The Department launched a helicopter, and multiple police agencies assisted until about 2 a.m. The agencies returned when the sun came up Tuesday morning, and that's when they found the 2-year-old boy, who approached them with open arms. Police say Oliver was dry, wearing only a T-shirt and shorts and he had several scratches and cuts from his night alone in the woods.

The prevailing theory is that Meinert might have fallen out into the water with the boat continuing under its own power until it hit shore and rammed into the tree.

Family members told police the father knew the lake and was an avid fisherman, who had been there many times.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/st...136872888.html
    http://www.kvue.com/news/local/searc...reek/420545762
    Last edited by JerseyGirl; 03-07-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Maybe I'm being persnickity, but why was the child wearing a t-shirt and shorts when he was found, but wearing a buttoned plaid shirt when he got on the boat? Maybe they loosely mean "t-shirt and shorts" to describe that he wasn't warmly dressed.

I'm curious about what "beached" means with this boat. Was the boat hauled ashore, or was it tangled in tree branches?

I just looked at that lake on a map and it's huge! I can't believe they found the little boy. Thank God. But I do wonder what happened exactly. Scary that they weren't weren't life jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    Maybe I'm being persnickity, but why was the child wearing a t-shirt and shorts when he was found, but wearing a buttoned plaid shirt when he got on the boat? Maybe they loosely mean "t-shirt and shorts" to describe that he wasn't warmly dressed.

I'm curious about what "beached" means with this boat. Was the boat hauled ashore, or was it tangled in tree branches?
    This link shows the boat on shore where it seems to have run into a tree.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Sea...415545683.html

Matthew's flat-bottom aluminum fishing boat was found abandoned and beached further up the creek from the boat launch.

Life jackets were on board, but neither the father or son appeared to be wearing one during the trip.

Search teams were due to resume at 9am on Wednesday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4ajkwU4sS

Very strange that the child was most likely not wearing a life jacket, especially considering the comments that Mr. Meinert was an avid boater. Equally bizarre that the prevailing theory (and the most likely, I suppose) seems to be that Mr. Meinert fell out of the boat and the boat continued unmanned until it ran aground. Seems like for that set of facts to be true, he would have had to have fallen out and been unconscious and unable to swim after the boat and his child. What would cause that besides a medical emergency?

I wonder what Mr. Meinert's personal life circumstances might show.
    Last edited by Third Coast Gal; 03-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.

The creek in that area is about 5-10 feet deep with lots of hazards

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/st...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post
    This link shows the boat on shore where it seems to have run into a tree.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Sea...415545683.html
    From that picture, the boat travelled over land some distance before coming to rest at the base of the tree. I wonder if they could try to repeat that with another similar boat - how fast would you have to be going to launch that boat up on land? That seems an odd position - to me - for the boat to stop. I'm assuming the boat was stopped - and out of gas?

Edited to add: from that pic, the tree is about 20 feet into the rock ledge, and the engine is pulled up the way you do if you're going to pull the boat over land. The engine - in my observation - is not in the position it would be if it were propelling the boat through the water. That ledge is rock -it's not just soft muck, as you can see 3 rescuers are standing on it.

I think he pulled that boat up there, for whatever reason - maybe to allow his son to go to the bathroom, etc.
    Last edited by JeannaT; 03-08-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Here's a better picture of where the boat ended up. It's REALLY hard to believe that boat got up there accidentally and unguided.

Interesting to note that there were no footprints found near the boat indicating it is easy to exit that boat without leaving footprints OR the boy didn't exit the boat there.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dento...-denton-county

In the last article JeannaT posted above this comment, it says a boater saw the boat aground, found the cellphone in the boat and used it to call his family - but it says no footprints were around the boat...kinda seems impossible - unless they mean they ruled out the finder's footprints? Also, I don't see a trench dug by the motor to where the boat stopped, so I tend to agree with JeannaT's earlier comment about the boat motor being in the wrong position to have gone there unmanned.
    Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future. - Oscar Wilde

Attitude ~ it's a little thing that makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    Any boaters here? Does that boat look like he pulled it up there on purpose or does it look more like it ran aground? I am baffled that the child had no life jacket on if the boat were moving in the water. Could the kid take it off - is he old enough to unbuckle it? ETA: Sorry I see up above speculation it likely did not run aground due to engine position and no marks.

To me, it looks like the boat was pulled ashore.

If the boat ran aground on it's own with the engine running, I would assume it would have hit the shoreline and be pushed sideways in the water, not travel some 15-20 feet up onto the shore and lay against tree roots, unless he was speeding, but even so, a boat that size in a creek wouldn't have a powerful engine.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast