Thread: FL - Marissa Karp, 17, murdered in Broward County, Aug 2002

FL - Marissa Karp, 17, murdered in Broward County, Aug 2002

I-595 ramps to southbound I-95 shut temporarily for event seeking tips on Broward girl's killer

Herald Staff Report

Florida Highway Patrol troopers are closing both southbound ramps from Interstate 595 to southbound Interstate 95 for about an hour this morning to make way for a 10 a.m. event meant to publicize the search for the killer of a missing Broward girl.

The ramps are expected to shut down after 9:30 a.m., and to re-open around 10:45 a.m., FHP Lt. William Ferrell said.

''There's no way we can do it safely without having to shut the ramps down,'' Ferrell said.

As many as 40 to 50 people, including the host of America's Most Wanted and Broward Sheriff's Office deputies, will attend the press conference for those interested in finding the killer of Marissa Karp, who would be 21 today.

Marissa was killed and found in a Collier County canal when she was 17.

A billboard, donated by Clear Channel Outdoor Inc., will be unveiled this morning at the 595/95 interchange, announcing a $100,000 reward distributed via a private donor, as advertised by America's Most Wanted.

On Aug. 19, 2002, an airboat operator spotted a garbage bag on the embankment of the L-28 canal in Collier County along Alligator Alley just north of the Broward County line. Inside was the remains of a small female, a teenager. She had been shot.

It took took more than a month to identify the victim as Marissa, and to determine she had been living as a runaway in a tiny efficiency on Ninth Court in Hallandale Beach.

Neighbors said they had seen her the weekend before the body was discovered.

Marissa had run away from a Department of Children & Families building in Pompano Beach.

She was on the Department of Children and Families' list of 393 missing Florida children and had spent several years in and out of DCF's care.

Her problems began soon after her mother's death in 1996. Her father, Gary Karp, remarried, and the family relations were strained. Marissa began breaking curfew and smoking. She was sent to DCF, to her grandmother's home, and back to DCF, until she was placed in a Broward youth shelter, The Leaf.

More: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...amiherald_news

What a great idea ... I wish they could do this for more missing people
    Last edited by PrayersForMaura; 12-06-2005 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Edited title due to more information found

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PrayersForMaura For This Useful Post:

FL - Marissa Karp, Broward County, 17, 2002

I-595 ramps to southbound I-95 shut temporarily for event seeking tips on Broward girl's killer

Herald Staff Report

Florida Highway Patrol troopers are closing both southbound ramps from Interstate 595 to southbound Interstate 95 for about an hour this morning to make way for a 10 a.m. event meant to publicize the search for the killer of a missing Broward girl.

The ramps are expected to shut down after 9:30 a.m., and to re-open around 10:45 a.m., FHP Lt. William Ferrell said.

''There's no way we can do it safely without having to shut the ramps down,'' Ferrell said.

As many as 40 to 50 people, including the host of America's Most Wanted and Broward Sheriff's Office deputies, will attend the press conference for those interested in finding the killer of Marissa Karp, who would be 21 today.

Marissa was killed and found in a Collier County canal when she was 17.

A billboard, donated by Clear Channel Outdoor Inc., will be unveiled this morning at the 595/95 interchange, announcing a $100,000 reward distributed via a private donor, as advertised by America's Most Wanted.

On Aug. 19, 2002, an airboat operator spotted a garbage bag on the embankment of the L-28 canal in Collier County along Alligator Alley just north of the Broward County line. Inside was the remains of a small female, a teenager. She had been shot.

It took took more than a month to identify the victim as Marissa, and to determine she had been living as a runaway in a tiny efficiency on Ninth Court in Hallandale Beach.

Neighbors said they had seen her the weekend before the body was discovered.

Marissa had run away from a Department of Children & Families building in Pompano Beach.

She was on the Department of Children and Families' list of 393 missing Florida children and had spent several years in and out of DCF's care.

Her problems began soon after her mother's death in 1996. Her father, Gary Karp, remarried, and the family relations were strained. Marissa began breaking curfew and smoking. She was sent to DCF, to her grandmother's home, and back to DCF, until she was placed in a Broward youth shelter, The Leaf.

More: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...iamiherald_news

I also posted this as a thread in the cold cases forum. I hope it's ok that I did that? I don't know if people who read there read here, too.
    I just think this is a great idea ... I wish they could do this for more missing people. It's not fair ...

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura

What a great idea ... I wish they could do this for more missing people
    Yeah...Like a national rally in Washington. Maybe a "Million Missing" march.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    Yeah...Like a national rally in Washington. Maybe a "Million Missing" march.
    A vigil at or near the Maryland State House, Annapolis, is in the planning stages to bring attention to Maryland's Missing Persons.

'America's Most Wanted' Offers Help Solving Murder Of Teen Found In Bag

"America's Most Wanted" is getting involved to help solve the murder of a 17-year-old girl whose body was found floating in a plastic bag in a canal off Alligator Alley three years ago.

A representative from the nation's No. 1 TV crime-fighting show was on hand Tuesday, along with Florida Highway Patrol officials, philanthropist Joel Mamanna and the father of Marissa Karp, at a news conference unveiling a billboard announcing the $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for her murder. It would have been her 21st birthday.
    "Hopefully, this money can be used in a positive way," said Mamanna, who is offering the reward money. "We can find this piece of trash that did this to this young girl, and this money can make him feel the pain that he deserves."

A local fisherman discovered Karp's body on Aug. 19, 2002, about two miles west of the Miccosukee Mobil gas station just inside the Collier County line. A medical examiner determined that she had been shot to death.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/wplg/20051206/lo_wplg/3105476

Daily News staff
    9:12 a.m., Sunday, August 19, 2007

It was five years ago today that airboaters made the gruesome discovery in an alligator-infested canal near Mile Marker 52 off Interstate 75 -- the body of 17-year-old Marissa Karp.

Link: http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/...irls_body_i75/
    This is the latest article that I could find online. Dated August 19, 2007.

Who Murdered Marissa Karp? Florida Teen's Father Says "I Know Who Did It...Cops Know," 8 Years Later

Although no arrests have been made, Karp believes it is only a matter of time.
    ``I know who did it, the cops know who did it. It is just how to prove it,'' Karp said.
    Let's hope they can eventually prove it and catch this SOB!

Father's Decade-Long Investigation Pays Off

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01...tion-pays-off/

Posted Thursday, Jan 24 2013

Her story is just crazy! And her dad is a amazing person to go to such lengths to help her case get solved. I really hope they can pin down these guys and make them pay for her murder.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sporky For This Useful Post:

This link was posted a couple months later in the comments of the article in your post, Sporky.

http://www.bahamaspress.com/2013/04/...hill-thursday/

Bahamian featured on America’s Most Wanted for murder of a young woman is man shot dead in Fox Hill Thursday

Posted by media on Apr 13, 2013

Nassau, Bahamas — Breaking News coming into Bahamas Press late tonight confirms the identity of the country’s 27th murder victim to be that of a Most Wanted Fugitive out of the United States.

Sources deep in the US have confirmed to BP the man on the run out of Florida for the death of 17-year-old Marissa Karp in South Florida back in 2002 – more than 10 years ago – is dead.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02...ghters-murder/

Father Pressures Investigators To Connect The Dots In Daughter’s Murder
    December 2, 2013 6:50 PM

Ingraham is currently in jail getting close to standing trial for the shooting death of Broward Sheriff’s Deputy Brian Tephord. Tephord was shot after prosecutors say he pulled over Ingraham during a traffic stop

“I believe Ingraham believes he was being stopped for Marissa’s murder and panicked,” said Karp before a status hearing for Ingraham on Monday.