1350 users online (292 members and 1058 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Pet Owner Says Missing Dog Found, Not Returned To Her

I am not sure if this is crimes in the news, bizzarre news, or current news, but it's definitely sad news that makes me upset
    Give the lady her dog back, darn it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pet Owner Says Missing Dog Found, Not Returned To Her

Woman Says Couple Watching Dog Want $800 For Its Medicine

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. -- A South Florida pet owner says her lost dog was not returned to her even after it was found at the Humane Society.

Aline Leca's long-eared basset hound, Fred, wandered away from her Deerfield Beach home on Nov. 19. He was found dumped in the parking lot of the Tri-County Humane Society in Boca Raton.

"I went to the local police station to make a report of a lost dog. I went everywhere in Broward County, because I live in Broward County. Also, he's microchipped. So, the people told me, if he goes to a vet clinic or anywhere else, they will scan him for his chip," Leca said.

Fred was never returned to Leca, who has had him since he was a puppy. Leca said her husband gave Fred to her as a gift when he proposed.

..."We're fighting over a dog, and it's a dog that's been a part of my life. It's a family member of my house. It's been in my life for three years. We're fighting over a dog that already has a family," Leca said.

More: http://www.nbc6.net/family/5479635/d...s=ami&psp=news

The couple who has the dog needs to return it

and the owners need to reimburse them for the any official receipts they present and show some appreciation that they cared enough to seek treatment.

If they can't afford the 800.00 they can pay it over time or in other ways, like services etc...

If the couple is making it up, then shame on them

What the heck kind of pills could the couple from the shelter have purchased for the dog in just two weeks at a cost of $800?? I'd want receipts along with vet statements that the pills were necessary. I'd also want to know why the shelter didn't contact the dog's owner right away rather than putting the dog in foster care.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    The couple who has the dog needs to return it

and the owners need to reimburse them for the any official receipts they present and show some appreciation that they cared enough to seek treatment.

If they can't afford the 800.00 they can pay it over time or in other ways, like services etc...

If the couple is making it up, then shame on them
    I agree with you, Casshew. It looks like someone is donating the $800 so she can get her dog back, but I would want to see receipts.

Wanna bet that they don't produce $800 worth of valid receipts?

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by jannuncutt
    Wanna bet that they don't produce $800 worth of valid receipts?
    I think it would be very hard to do so when they only had the dog for a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    I think it would be very hard to do so when they only had the dog for a short period of time.
    And it apparently was perfectly healthy when it disappeared. Sounds like extortion to me.

This is awful! What kind of shelter is this? Can any jo open up a shelter? Maybe they even dog-napped the poorr thing.

jubie

The dog was microchipped, so it wouldn't have been difficult to get the dog's info. Any vet can scan the dog to get the owner information. When I found a Dane puppy I took him to my vet just to check if he had a chip. I think here the animal shelter has a scanner to check dogs that are picked up for a chip also. I think the people wanting $800 are full of crap. If these people took the time to get their dog chipped, he most likely had vet care.

The original owner paid for a microchip and the supposed guarantee that any vet or animal shelter would ID her dog if ever found lost. If the animal shelter did not follow through on its responsibility to scan all incoming animals then the shelter is responsible for all legitimate expenses since giving the dog to someone else.

Nonetheless, if I really wanted my dog back I would offer to pay expenses.

I wonder about those chips. The scanners may be expensive. Not every shelter may have one. I wonder if all vets have them. The idea is great, but it's like Lojack for your car. Not all states have the equipment to help locate your car.

$800 for a few pills? I really don't think so.

Did ya'll look at the slideshow? The very last slide states someone came forward and offered to pay the $800, and they'll get Fred back. It may be a recent update to the original story. It's slide 11 in the slideshow.

I agree completely with everyone on the microchip. If your dog is microchipped, and you are on record searching for your dog, and a shelter adopts it out, game over man. It's your dog. Especially if they flat out failed to find a microchip and didn't attempt to contact you.

I am pleased the dog has now been reunited with its true owner..

BarnGodess, the scanners are not that expensive...we have two and they have never failed .
    We charge 20($15) to microchip a cat or dog.....so where these people get $800 is beyond me .

I feel its just someone out to make a fast buck

Was the $800 just for medicine or for emergency treatment? My mother had taken her sick dog to an overnight animal emergency center, and the costs from that and the following treatment was probably about $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGoose
    I am pleased the dog has now been reunited with its true owner..

BarnGodess, the scanners are not that expensive...we have two and they have never failed .
    We charge 20($15) to microchip a cat or dog.....so where these people get $800 is beyond me .

I feel its just someone out to make a fast buck
    Years ago the chips were pretty expensive, and mainly people who had expensive, or show dogs got them. Now they are only about $20-30 here. I have all my Danes chipped. My babies were not expensive, 2 I found abandoned on the streets and 1 adopted from a rescue, but they are precious to me!!! I just took one to the vet Tuesday for arthritis, and even with x-rays, blood tests. cortozone injection and medication his bill was only $192.00, so what cost those people $800 for is beyond me.