Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN - Oak Ridge, WhtFem 272UFTN, 20s, Found in Melton Lake, Mar'00

TN - Oak Ridge, WhtFem 272UFTN, 20s, Found in Melton Lake, Mar'00

Hi to all
    This town is near me and this has bothered me every since I first read the story. And to the best of my knowledge I don't think there was ever any info about her tracked down. Hope some of you can offer some other suggestions or insight. What I HAVE read about her has been at www.oakridger.com

SWright363

Story last updated at 12:32 p.m. on Tuesday, March 7, 2000

Woman's body found in lake

by Beverly Majors
    Oak Ridger staff

Oak Ridge police today are investigating a possible murder after two fishermen found the body of a woman floating on Melton Hill Lake.

Oak Ridge Police Capt. Bill Moehl said this morning that police recovered the body of a woman about two miles downstream from Clark Center Park.

"The body was floating but was underneath the bank near the shoreline," he said. "It was partially decomposed but pretty much intact."

Moehl said that after the fishermen saw the body at about 2:30 p.m. Monday, they went to Clark Center Park and called police. They stayed at the dock until Officers Ron Andrus and Rich Parker arrived and then took the officers to the site.

Moehl said the body is that of a woman possibly under the age of 30.

"We are guessing she was fairly young but it's really hard to tell. She had no clothing, no jewelry, no tattoos, basically no identification," he said. "There was no obvious cause of death. We are checking with missing persons nationwide to get a match."

He said police began checking missing persons reports locally Monday night and "got some preliminary hits."

Cleland Blake, forensic pathologist, will perform an autopsy today to give police more information, Moehl said.

"It appears to be a white female but we aren't ready to say that positively," he said.

He said the body had been in the water for at least several weeks.

Police today were to extend their search for clues and check campsites and other public areas farther upstream toward the park, he said.

"We may be able to narrow the search and criteria down more," he said.

He said police will treat the case as a homicide until proven otherwise.

Moehl said several officers were involved in body recovery efforts. ORPD has a large boat that can carry equipment and about 10 officers.

"But, actually, we took the body off from land," he said.

Police were able to drive to the scene by going onto Department of Energy property and accessing a road near the swimming area of the park. The area where the body was found is called Bull Bluff and is between the park and the Graphite Reactor at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

http://www.oakridger.com/images/buttons/top.gif
    All Contents ©Copyright The Oak Ridger

Story last updated at 12:35 p.m. on Wednesday, March 8, 2000

Autopsy shows woman drowned

by Beverly Majors
    Oak Ridger staff

Oak Ridge Police Lt. Mike Uher said this morning that an autopsy on a body of a woman found Monday in Melton Hill Lake showed that the woman drowned.

Cleland Blake, a forensic pathologist in Morristown, performed the autopsy Tuesday afternoon.

Oak Ridge Police Capt. Bill Moehl said Tuesday that police would treat the case as a homicide until proven otherwise.

Uher said the body was taken to the University of Tennessee's Body Farm for storage. The Body Farm is a forensic science death study facility.

Fishermen found the body at about 2:30 Monday afternoon approximately two miles downstream from Clark Center Park.

Moehl said the body was found underneath a bank near the shoreline and was partially decomposed.

"The body probably would not have been found had they not been fishing near the shoreline," Uher said.

Uher said police are continuing their search for clues to the woman's identity and death.

The body was found nude with no jewelry, no tattoos, no identification and no obvious cause of death, Moehl said Tuesday. Police are searching national registries of missing persons.

A press release said the woman, believed to have been in her 20s, was 5 feet, 9 1/2 inches tall, weighed approximately 160 pounds and had long medium dark brown hair.

The body had been in the water for about two to three weeks, the release said.

The Oak Ridge Police Department is asking anyone with knowledge of a missing person fitting the description to call the ORPD at (865) 425-4399, or Officers Ron Andrus at 425-3517 or Steve Speelman at 425-3509.

All Contents ©Copyright The Oak Ridger
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-16-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: to add article

Space in the Doe Network

Here is the link in the Doe Network for this victim.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/272uftn.html
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 06-19-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: updated doe network link

Looking at what's known, this seems more like a suicide than a murder...As the area is known as Bull Bluff this sounds like a probable location to jump.

info

I found a little info about it but you may have to do a free registration to read one of the articles. I also found there seem to be other people turning up dead there. And there is at least one anti nuke person posting rants in the papers letter to the editor section.

Oak Ridge, Cocke County seek help identifying bodies
    Story last updated at 11:25 a.m. on January 12, 2005
    (requires free registration to view article)
    http://oakridger.com/stories/011205/...50112007.shtml
    Murder charges for family in Oak Ridge starvation case
    http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?s=2667317
    Human skeleton found by hiker on Oak Ridge trail
    January 15, 2005
    http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=2818374
    Pastoral putrefaction down on the Body Farm
    http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/10/31/body.farm/

The fact that she was nude makes me lean more toward murder than suicide. I've never heard of someone taking off all their clothes before jumping. (Although it's certainly possible.)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reportertype For This Useful Post:

I have. Helped recover a couple from a lake in TX. Some suicides want to be totally anonymous, probably the way they felt in life which led them to such a drastic measure.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel For This Useful Post:

New reconstructions - see Doe Network link or:
    http://www.longpauses.com/hughes/anderson.htm

Also case discussion/possible matches at "UsedToBeDoe" forum:
    http://s10.invisionfree.com/usedtobe...wtopic=221&hl=

Does anyone know if the Porchlight people called in on Terra Lynn Smith?
    The news station in Knoxville TN had 272UFTN featured today on it's web
    site.
    Bluestarzz

TN-might be here elsewhere?

here is one i would like to see solved.
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/272uftn.html
    bluestarzz
    Last edited by Cubby; 02-24-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    At 5'9.5" she's a tall young lady. That should help id her if she's been reported as missing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

What about Kristen Modafferi? Admittedly, the timeline is off. But the Doe's page suggests she may have been the victim of kidnapping, which may explain time and location differences. Kristen is 5'8"...pretty close to 5'9.5". No mention of scars or tattoos either.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1864dfca.html

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

How about April Susanne Wiss? I know it says she had 3 black dots tattooed on her right hand and Jane Doe had none, but they could have been overlooked or scraped off. She was about to testify on a statutory rape trial before she disappeared. The reconstruction looks similar to her.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wiss_april.html

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JillyNJ For This Useful Post:

carbuff is online now ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Ruleouts as of Feb. 16, 2014 https://identifyus.org/cases/2895:

Lisa Karen Addington 1962 Oklahoma
    Sharon Apgar 1966 Kentucky
    Tina D'Ambrosio 1961 Arizona
    Patricia Kelley Tennessee
    Paula Merchant 1973 South Carolina
    Parley Pate 1959 North Carolina
    Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Personally, I wouldn't take my clothes off to commit suicide either, but some people do. Also, I was wondering what the waters are like that she was found in, or if she could have jumped in at another area where the water was rougher. I have heard some stories of rough waters actually pulling the clothing off people.

Linda Sohus?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sohus_linda.html

She's taller then the estimate. Gerhartsreighter had to drive from southern California to New England, crossing Tennessee is certainly possible. 15 years between disappearance & location of remains?

I see a resemblance, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing View Post
    Linda Sohus?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sohus_linda.html

She's taller then the estimate. Gerhartsreighter had to drive from southern California to New England, crossing Tennessee is certainly possible. 15 years between disappearance & location of remains?

I see a resemblance, what do you think?
    Linda went missing 1985. She'd be too old by 2000 to be this Doe.

I've always wondered whether Linda was http://doenetwork.org/cases/90ufon.html and there's a thread for that Doe somewhere on websleuths.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reasypeasy For This Useful Post:

Being found in march and with them saying that she'd been dead for weeks..can we conclude that whatever wound her up in the water would have been from mid-late February?
    According to the Farmers Almanac for Past weather history: http://www.almanac.com/weather/histo...830/2000-02-16
    Average low to high Temps in that area (37830)
    Feb 14th - Feb 19th (second week of February)
    min temp was a low 30F avg and max temp was 59F avg
    (except for Feb 16th max temp was 71F)
    Feb 20th - 22nd: ( middle of third week February)
    low 25F to high 55F
    Feb 23rd: low 35F to 69F
    Feb 24th: low 42F to 71F
    Feb 25th thru 27th: low 41F to 75F
    Feb 29th thru March 1st: low33 to 71F

My point is; if this was an accident (which I doubt) this wouldn't have been someone who voluntarily went into the drink in the middle of February, naked. If that was the case they would have waited the next week when the temps would have been in the 70's. (Assuming they watched the weekly forecast).
    I have a feeling LE knows more than what we're being told when they rule it a homicide. Maybe she had bruising around the neck and so forth from someone holding her under?

If I had to narrow it down (and if she were local or with a local) I'd say someone talked her into getting out of the house to go swimming on Feb 16th (the high was 71F) supposing to celebrate the first warm day of the month? And whomever it was held her under until she drowned.
    I guess knowing the official cause of death and observation of her body would help in this situation; but I'm just going to go with my gut on this one..
    JMHO
    Last edited by jenstar; 02-17-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add link
    All I can do is try.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenstar For This Useful Post:

sorry so large But I'd like to know if someone can submit this for a match? She's not on the rule-out list height is off but the facial similarities are uncanny. (also in her photos it looks like she's taller than they report) Katherine Lowery: Missing date of Feb '99 (according to the children) under suspicious circumstances;
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9672/5/
    Last edited by jenstar; 02-17-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add link
    All I can do is try.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jenstar For This Useful Post:

Charley has more details and a link to another missing person.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...katherine.html

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't take my clothes off to commit suicide either, but some people do. Also, I was wondering what the waters are like that she was found in, or if she could have jumped in at another area where the water was rougher. I have heard some stories of rough waters actually pulling the clothing off people.
    I grew up very close to this location and swam in this river at a nearby park (just around the bend from where the UID was found) almost every week during the summer as a kid. The river is generally very, very slow moving, although there are a few places where it is faster, such as the stretches below the dams. But in general, it is not the kind of current that I think could tear someones clothes off..but I am no expert.

I don't ever recall anyone swimming in February...although on a warm day I think friends and I would have gone swimming in spring and fall. Not winter though.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cj327 For This Useful Post:

I looked at some maps and saw that there are no places that would have rapids or a big enough current to tear someone's clothes off.
    While not very wide in places, it seems like the river is part of the reservoir (or backwaters) all the way from the Melton Hill Dam to the Norris Dam. But that shows that she should have entered the water between the two dams.

She couldn't have entered above Norris Dam as she couldn't float through it. If she did manage to get through, there would be much more trauma. She would have to "float" through a hydroelectric station, which I figured would not leave her body with so little trauma that was found on her body.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to bflocket For This Useful Post:

I was just in the area this weekend. Drove by it yesterday. Lake Melton is a part of the Clinch River. No way would anyone in their right mind be swimming there in Feb!

Its a very clean lake, and the water is slow moving. It isn't going to tear anyone's clothes off. If she had gone through Norris Dam, I would think there would have been trauma to the body. I am trying to remember.....I believe its possible to jump into lake Norris/clinch River from a roadway. at the top of the dam..over the lake..... I have a family member that told me her did that as a teen...but if she ended up in lake Melton after doing this she would have also had to have gone over the dam.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to killarney rose For This Useful Post:

I also like April Wiss for this JD... But mostly bc there's just nothing else out there.

carbuff is online now ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2fourDs View Post
    I also like April Wiss for this JD... But mostly bc there's just nothing else out there.
    Do you have a pointer to her information?
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast