1294 users online (192 members and 1102 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Los Angeles, BlkMale 1391UMCA, >18, GSW, very tall, Feb'68

The Doe Network:
    Case File 1391UMCA
    http://doenetwork.org/cases/1391umca.html

Reconstruction of Victim by Carl Koppelman

WARNING: POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
    http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/...00x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified Black Male

* The victim was discovered on February 9, 1968 in Los Angeles County, California

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: Over 18 years old
    * Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; 156 lbs.
    * Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
    * Clothing: Brown belt, avocado green sweater, two tone green turtleneck shirt, blue pants, olive green socks, grey high top shoes, white boxer shorts.

Case History
    The victim was located on February 9, 1968, at approximately 05.13, at the rear of 3870 South Normandie Avenue in L.A.
    He was the victim of a gunshot.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 08-08-2017 at 12:05 PM.

This morning, I drove over to the Trinity Baptist Church near the corner of Jefferson and Arlington in South Central LA., and asked to speak with the Minister of the Church. He wasn't there, but several other church officials were in the office upstairs.

I brought with me a large 8.5 x 11 color print-out of the boy (above), and another facial reconstruction of a UID young woman (below) who also died in 1968.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/729ufca.html
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?111287

The postmortem photos were printed on the reverse side of the pages. I also brought DoeNetwork printouts of both cases, and a google earth map of the locations where their bodies were found.

I asked the church elders if it was possible to show these images to any persons in their parish who have lived in the area since 1968 to see if they might recognize either of these two people. They said that there were plenty of their church members who have lived in the area since the 60's

One of the men indicated that he was not sure how he would go about it, but he said that he might be able to publish the photos in the church bulletin. They reacted very positively to my visit, and one of the men commented "This is very honorable and important work that you do.".

Hopefully, someone will recognize one or both of these people and if there are any family members still living, they can finally know what happened to their loved ones. It is probable that the parents of these two persons are not still alive, but there may be siblings still around.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 08-08-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Carl, I must say that I'm impressed with what you did. Hope someone knows something and an identification can be made.

I was just wondering if anyone had gotten back to you about the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone had gotten back to you about the pictures.
    No, nobody ever did. One of these Sundays, I'll go back and speak with them to find out if they heard any comments from any of their members.

Poor guy. This case really gets to me because it was two months, almost to the day, before my mother was born.

I really wonder who did this, and who he was. He was remained unidentified for so long.

Hopefully, Carl's segment on Crime Watch Daily (totally awesome!) has reached the right people, and they will come forward.

I just can't get over how young this poor guy looked--he was tall, but he had very youthful features. Could it be he was under 18 but had matured quickly? I ask because lots of guys have growth spurts and quit growing years before--my dad was 6'2 by age 13. Could this John Doe be in the same boat, possibly?
    Proverbs 19:17

Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

Quote Originally Posted by Springrain View Post
    Poor guy. This case really gets to me because it was two months, almost to the day, before my mother was born.

I really wonder who did this, and who he was. He was remained unidentified for so long.

Hopefully, Carl's segment on Crime Watch Daily (totally awesome!) has reached the right people, and they will come forward.

I just can't get over how young this poor guy looked--he was tall, but he had very youthful features. Could it be he was under 18 but had matured quickly? I ask because lots of guys have growth spurts and quit growing years before--my dad was 6'2 by age 13. Could this John Doe be in the same boat, possibly?
    My nephew was 6 feet 6 inches by the age of 13. He is now 17, and is about 6 feet 7 inches tall.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    My nephew was 6 feet 6 inches by the age of 13. He is now 17, and is about 6 feet 7 inches tall.
    That's pretty common, it seems. Could they have mistaken him for being older due to his height? Or did they forensically study his bones? I have no idea how these things work, clearly.

I've never made a Facebook page before, but I decided to make one for him. Hopefully, someone who knew him well see it.
    facebook.com/1968-Los-Angeles-John-Doe-1118291188266867/?view_public_for=1118291188266867
    Who was Walker County Jane Doe?

John Doe - February 9, 1968 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread
    John Doe - October 31, 1967 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread

I'd guess his age estimation is based on multiple things, not only height. Maybe he had fully developed wisdom teeth, or certain fillings etc. in his teeth that were used in a certain phase, or maybe his bones and/or joints show distinctive signs of heavy labor or long-term sports background. 13-15 years old kid can be tall, surely, but building up a mature frame takes longer than just the time needed for bones getting taller.

CA - Los Angeles, BlkMale UP#16394, 15-20, Shot By Police, Feb'68

UP#16394

DEMOGRAPHICS
    Race: Black
    Height: 6'3
    Weight: 156 pounds
    Postmortem Interval: 1 minute

CIRCUMSTANCES
    Date: February 9, 1968
    Address: 3870 S. Normandie Ave
    Circumstances: The victim was surprised by two police officers while trying to break into a cleaning shop in Los Angeles, CA. He hid hid in a trash can, and when they ordered him to get out, he jumped out and ran away. One officer fired at him as he was climbing over a fence, and the second quickly followed suit. He was killed at the scene.

PHYSICAL/MEDICAL
    Hair: Black (short and curly)
    Eyes: Brown

CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES
    Knitted two-tone green turtleneck; slipover avocado-green sweater, navy blue serge pants, light brown belt, olive green acetate socks
    Reverse high-top soled shoes (not sneakers)

IDENTIFIERS
    Fingerprints: Available and entered
    Dentals: Available, not yet entered
    DNA: Unavailable

Here is a newspaper article dated February 10, 1968 that details the circumstances: http://i.imgur.com/I4AAS68.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Migmuu View Post
    UP#16394

DEMOGRAPHICS
    Race: Black
    Height: 6'3
    Weight: 156 pounds
    Postmortem Interval: 1 minute

CIRCUMSTANCES
    Date: February 9, 1968
    Address: 3870 S. Normandie Ave
    Circumstances: The victim was surprised by two police officers while trying to break into a cleaning shop in Los Angeles, CA. He hid hid in a trash can, and when they ordered him to get out, he jumped out and ran away. One officer fired at him as he was climbing over a fence, and the second quickly followed suit. He was killed at the scene.

PHYSICAL/MEDICAL
    Hair: Black (short and curly)
    Eyes: Brown

CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES
    Knitted two-tone green turtleneck; slipover avocado-green sweater, navy blue serge pants, light brown belt, olive green acetate socks
    Reverse high-top soled shoes (not sneakers)

IDENTIFIERS
    Fingerprints: Available and entered
    Dentals: Available, not yet entered
    DNA: Unavailable

Interesting. They finally created a Namus casefile for this guy.

We already had a thread for him. I merged the threads.

The DoeNetwork and LA Coroner casefiles never mentioned that he was shot by police. They only said he was shot.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 08-08-2017 at 12:05 PM.

shot by police while fleeing. ugh.

Bump

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk