1230 users online (190 members and 1040 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Making a Murderer Questionnaire - Dissertation project

    Making a Murderer is the topic for my dissertation. If you could all take 2 minutes to completed this anonymous questionnaire it would help me out massively!
    Thank you

    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/N7SJR9L

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Left Coast US of A
    Posts
    407
    Took the survey.

    I did have a few quibbles about how the thing was presented.

    The following is a comment I made in the survey about the 'information left out of the documentary':

    "I have looked at some of this 'information left out' previously, and some of it is false, some is misleading, and some is irrelevant.

    For example, what someone does to a cat in 1982 is not 'evidence' of a crime supposedly committed in 2005 which does not involve any cats.

    Or whether someone has a 'perfect' relationship with their live in girlfriend is not evidence of involvement of a murder of a business acquaintance.

    There is no evidence Teresa ever asked her employers that she not be asked to return to Avery Salvage Yard.

    Some of this 'information' comes from the prosecutor, Ken Kratz, whose honesty is questionable."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,747
    I completed the survey, but I would say that based on the evidence presented, I would not have been a jury member that would have voted guilty, I don't think. I really don't know if he's guilty or innocent, but I still think the verdict was wrong based on lack of evidence that was presented.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by proudfootz View Post
    Took the survey.

    I did have a few quibbles about how the thing was presented.

    The following is a comment I made in the survey about the 'information left out of the documentary':

    "I have looked at some of this 'information left out' previously, and some of it is false, some is misleading, and some is irrelevant.

    For example, what someone does to a cat in 1982 is not 'evidence' of a crime supposedly committed in 2005 which does not involve any cats.

    Or whether someone has a 'perfect' relationship with their live in girlfriend is not evidence of involvement of a murder of a business acquaintance.

    There is no evidence Teresa ever asked her employers that she not be asked to return to Avery Salvage Yard.

    Some of this 'information' comes from the prosecutor, Ken Kratz, whose honesty is questionable."
    .
    I didn't take the survey for the reasons you mentioned above. Sorry. If you asked me how I felt about the documentary and IF I felt there were things left out of the documentary then I would have taken it. I don't think mentioning the things left out of MaM was necessary.
    Last edited by BigCityAccountant; 03-17-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    Pedant here, please share your sources. TIA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Left Coast US of A
    Posts
    407
    I forgot to mention a couple of other things that struck me about the poll:

    There are some options listed for 'when did you make up you mind about Steven Avery' listing various points in the documentary and finally 'upon completion of the series'. I think there should be a couple of more options, one of which would be some time after watching the series, and the other being 'I haven't made up my mind about Steven Avery'.

    I didn't make up my mind about Steven until some time after doing further reading and research on the case, and the way the poll is worded makes it seem as though the documentary must be what persuades someone one way or the other. And there does seem to be quite a few people who have not made a judgement about Steven's involvement even after watching the documentary and doing additional research.

    BigCityAccountant - I agree it was unnecessary to make a list of 'things left out' because it is KK's list of claims and seems to show an implicit bias toward the narrative that MaM is the sole reason many people think Steven is innocent, that Steven's guilt or innocence was the whole point of the documentary, and that KK's list are the only or most important things 'left out'.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by proudfootz View Post
    I forgot to mention a couple of other things that struck me about the poll:

    There are some options listed for 'when did you make up you mind about Steven Avery' listing various points in the documentary and finally 'upon completion of the series'. I think there should be a couple of more options, one of which would be some time after watching the series, and the other being 'I haven't made up my mind about Steven Avery'.

    I didn't make up my mind about Steven until some time after doing further reading and research on the case, and the way the poll is worded makes it seem as though the documentary must be what persuades someone one way or the other. And there does seem to be quite a few people who have not made a judgement about Steven's involvement even after watching the documentary and doing additional research.

    BigCityAccountant - I agree it was unnecessary to make a list of 'things left out' because it is KK's list of claims and seems to show an implicit bias toward the narrative that MaM is the sole reason many people think Steven is innocent, that Steven's guilt or innocence was the whole point of the documentary, and that KK's list are the only or most important things 'left out'.
    .
    Agreed Proudfootz.
    I began with Avery and Dassey being guilty. However, having read everything I can on case, I began to have doubts. Those doubts were not propelled by the documentary, but by reading the case files. I believe I had made up my mind that Dassey was innocent before I even watched the documentary. To this day, I cannot say for certain that SA is not guilty, however I tend to believe he is. I watched the documentary 8 months after studying the case. It had little to no impact on my beliefs.
    Pedant here, please share your sources. TIA

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    10
    A dissertation for what university and who is your dissertation chair?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,436
    I didn't take the survey either. I read through and got as far as, "Avery’s sweat was found under Halbach’s car hood, although no fingerprints were analysed."

    I can see where this is going. No thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Safeguard View Post
    I didn't take the survey either. I read through and got as far as, "Avery’s sweat was found under Halbach’s car hood, although no fingerprints were analysed."

    I can see where this is going. No thanks.
    Yep, the "sweat" stopped me too.



Similar Threads

  1. ‘Making a Murderer’ Subject Steven Avery’s Dr Phil Interview Set to Air Next Week
    By BigCityAccountant in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-04-2016, 10:37 PM
  2. Damien Echols on Steven Avery case (Making a Murderer)
    By animlzrule in forum West Memphis III
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2016, 04:58 PM
  3. Making A Murderer: Season II: Discuss!
    By shadowraiths in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2016, 11:38 PM
  4. NOW AVAILABLE: iPhone App: Murder Postscripts - "Making a Murderer Edition"
    By shadowraiths in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 08:11 PM
  5. Inconsistencies: Making Murderer vs The Innocent Killer
    By GoodbyeKitty27 in forum Netflix Series: Making A Murderer
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-16-2016, 02:13 PM