IL - Cristy Campbell found dead after infant saved in lake rescue, 16 March 2017

Joe Friday

Getting the Facts
Reaction score
I'm placing this in Crimes in the News because I believe this will end up being a story about a wife who murdered her ex-husband and then committed suicide.

She also apparently tried to kill six of her children by setting their house on fire. And also tried killing her youngest child by driving her SUV into a lake.

Thank God all the children survived.

JMO

A fast-acting paramedic dove into the frigid water of an Illinois lake where a SUV was submerged and found an infant floating inside, then administered CPR on the hood and swam the child to shore, authorities said. The baby is expected to make a full recovery.

The infant was one of seven siblings who survived a tragic chain of events that left one person dead in a house fire and second body recovered from the lake where the baby was found.

It all began at 5:15 a.m. Thursday in Glen Carbon, Illinois, when fire broke out at a home owned by Cristy Lynn Campbell. An adult died in the fire but six children, siblings ranging up to age 14, escaped. Glen Carbon is about 30 miles east of St. Louis.

(Snipped)

Some of the children ran to a nearby Wal-Mart, others to a home in the neighborhood. The kids at the Wal-Mart asked an arriving worker to call 911, Lakin said.

Cristy Campbell was not in the home when firefighters arrived nor was the couple's seventh child, a 3-month-old boy.

At 5:31 a.m., a motorist passing near Silver Lake in Highland, Illinois, about 16 miles from the home, saw a car heading down a hill toward the water and called 911, Lakin said.

(Snipped)

After finding the baby, authorities began searching the water. A body was pulled from the lake around 11:15 a.m. While the body has not been identified, Lakin said police are no longer searching for Cristy Campbell.

Court records showed that Cristy Campbell and Justin Campbell, 37, had a volatile relationship.

In 2005, before they were married, Justin Campbell was charged with domestic abuse for allegedly attacking Cristy Campbell, then known as Cristy Brueggemann, by slapping her in the head when she was pregnant. He was sentenced in March 2006 to probation and fined $500.

(Snipped)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/17/illinois-paramedic-saves-infant-from-suv-submerged-in-lake.html

Two people died Thursday in what a coroner called "inter-related" cases involving a fatal house fire near St. Louis, followed shortly by a baby found alive inside a car in a lake.

The chain of events began around 5:30 a.m. when children ran to a Wal-Mart store in Glen Carbon, Ill., and called 911 to report their house was on fire. Authorities said an adult died in the fire but six children, siblings ranging from very young to teenagers, escaped. Property records showed the home belonged to Cristy Lynn Campbell.

(Snipped)

Soon after the car was found, Glen Carbon police issued an advisory describing Campbell as a "person of interest" and "possibly endangered."

Campbell has seven children, authorities said. Six escaped the house fire and Glen Carbon Fire Chief Ralph Well told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that authorities suspect the infant found in the lake is the seventh.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/1...llinois-house-fire-two-adults-found-dead.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/illinois-paramedic-saves-infant-submerged-suv-46193396

A woman found dead in a St. Louis-area lake was identified Friday as the mother of an infant rescued hours earlier by a paramedic, who performed CPR on the hood of the submerged SUV in which the child was found floating shortly after a fatal fire erupted at their home.

(Snipped)

Six of her children escaped the fire Thursday morning at her house in Glen Carbon, Illinois, but a man in the house was killed. An autopsy will be conducted Friday to identify the man.

Campbell's ex-husband, 37-year-old Justin Campbell, lived at the home and remains unaccounted for. Court records show they had a volatile relationship, with several reports of domestic violence.

(Snipped)

About 15 minutes after the fire was reported, a passing motorist spotted an SUV driving down a hill and into Silver Lake in Highland, Illinois, about 16 miles from the fire scene.

Highland paramedic Todd Zobrist arrived quickly, jumped into the 46-degree water and swam 50 to 75 feet to the SUV, where he found the 3-month-old boy floating inside the car.

Zobrist pulled the baby by the arm to the hood of the SUV, where he began CPR, then swam with the child to shore. The child, initially unresponsive, is expected to recover and could be released Friday from a Missouri hospital, according to Madison County Sheriff John Lakin.
(Snipped)

In April 2012, Cristy Campbell obtained an emergency protection order against her husband and filed for divorce. She alleged in court papers that he "abuses me on a weekly basis," including punching and choking her.

"He has told me that I'm a no good wife," Campbell wrote in her application for the protection order.

The divorce was granted in February 2013.

oh you think it was her? that makes sense! I saw it on the news and thought why in Gods name was she in the lake?

I almost sure the autopsy preformed on the victim found in the house fire (ex-husband) will show the fire had nothing to do with the cause of death.

JMO

I'm not convinced she did it. KMOV St. Louis is reporting she was reported missing earlier in the day. The news articles state that the neighbor's camera captured a black sedan park across from the house after the children ran away and walked toward the area the children ran to and then got back in the car and drove off when the fire truck came. However, none of the media outlets that show the video show the part with the sedan and 2 men. Who were those 2 men? We don't know yet for sure if the body in house was the father, although they are assuming. Lots of assumptions going on. Stick to the facts. I don't think she did it, willingly, if she did anything at all. This is eerily similar to me of certain murders last year where parents are killed just before dawn and children left to survive. But I'm glad this tragedy is up on Websleuths because this is close to home and I don't want the facts swept under the rug. All the victims deserve truth and justice. Here's the neighbor's camera video as it is released at this time. Warning, it is a bit upsetting as the children are shown. As I've found with other cases, like the Rhodens, the videos don't stay the same as they are updated and removed as time moves along and this one is cropped as it doesn't show the sedan or the men at all. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...tml_54c669a5-e543-5f00-bd2b-9582254ee940.html

I'm placing this in Crimes in the News because I believe this will end up being a story about a wife who murdered her ex-husband and then committed suicide.

She also apparently tried to kill six of her children by setting their house on fire. And also tried killing her youngest child by driving her SUV into a lake.

Thank God all the children survived.

JMO
Please don't assume she did this willingly or at all. You've got lots of assumptions going on here with little fact to go on. KMOV is now reporting she was reported missing earlier in the day. Here's an article from the St. Louis Post Dispatch with the neighbor's cam video. If you scroll down the article to the earlier article part, it states that at 5:01 am a black sedan pulls up across the road from the house that was already on fire, 2 men get out and walk down the street in the direction that the children had earlier ran towards the Walmart. The two men then come back and get in the sedan and don't drive away until the fire truck comes. However, none of the news sites with video show the part with the black sedan and the 2 men. http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...de9b0bb9e.html and here is the video page from KMOV http://www.kmov.com/story/34937051/n...en-carbon-home

Her facebook page has many heartbreaking pictures, beautiful family. Correct spelling Cristy Campbell, Glen Carbon IL

If you look at the video of the interview with the neighbor lady with blonde hair, it should be on the STLtoday link from my post above, the lady answers the question of how long the family lived there as "a long time" after some hesitation. In Cristy's facebook she states she moved in July 2016. That really isn't a long time in my view. I'm willing to bet this lady knows more than she was letting on. I'm sure the police have a lot to go on and a lot of the info of this just isn't there, just like with the Rhoden family, but I hope this get sorted out quickly for the children. This case really bugs me.

the kids chased the SUV in wee hours of morning. they went back in, then the fire starts then they flee? idk man. maybe those poor kids saw a lot :( I hope the truth comes out if they know what happened.

From what I have read I get the impression this was were the ex-husband lived.

It would be interesting to know just how long the SUV was parked outside. All night or for just a short time.

Luckily for LE they have the video to piece everything together.

It would also be interesting to know where the kids normally stayed.

I get the impression they were still together even if they were divorced. she had another baby it seems from him and he was there at the hospital. it looks like they took a family trip last year too.

I could be wrong....

From what I have read I get the impression this was were the ex-husband lived.

It would be interesting to know just how long the SUV was parked outside. All night or for just a short time.

Luckily for LE they have the video to piece everything together.

It would also be interesting to know where the kids normally stayed.

the video is disturbing. it seems like these kids were awake before the fire and chased their mom's car as it drove away. this is going to be a very sad, disturbing story :(

the video is disturbing. it seems like these kids were awake before the fire and chased their mom's car as it drove away. this is going to be a very sad, disturbing story :(

Perhaps there was some arguing going on between the parents that awoke the children.

There might have been some gun shots also.

I'm just glad the kids were not hurt and all made it out of the house,if they were in the house at the time.

this is all so confusing.

Perhaps there was some arguing going on between the parents that awoke the children.

There might have been some gun shots also.

I'm just glad the kids were not hurt and all made it out of the house,if they were in the house at the time.

this is Cristy's fb. I went through and she posts in 6/16 about moving out of her apt into a house and how she was feeling bittersweet as it had been her only place on her own. I believe she and her ex husband were moving into this house together at this time. upthread a link stated they lived at the house since 7/16. im sure even though they lived apart they began seeing each other earlier, perhaps they never truly broke up for very long. she was pregnant by the time she moved to the house.

https://www.facebook.com/cristy.campbell.7

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back