School Fight: Katrina Evacuees

kato

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
There has been another fight between Houston high school students and Katrina evacuees which resulted in 27 arrests. There have been about a dozen of these occurrences in the greater Houston area.

A girl made a gang sigh in or near the cafeteria and a boy loudly cursed NO. It was a fight between girls. Westbury HS has 2500 students about which 300 are evacuees. One mother said, "After Katrina, I hate say it, but it's been chaos. It's really sad. It's truly sad."

Graffitti on a bathroom door reads, "New Orleans takin' over". It is crossed out and then say, "H-town Forever." The phrase go home is scrawled and is answered by a "no". Profanities litter the door.

Sorry to keep bringing this up but there has been a BIG increase in crime here. The higher ups claim not so but they are full of chit. But I still don't see why our kids want to taunt the NO kids.

I also heard this morning that alot of evacuees that ended up north are coming back because they can't take the cold. Driving around town I still am seeing so many LA license plates I think I'm in the wrong state. LOL I guess this situation is going to last along time. I guess so many of the evacuees stayed here (Houston) because it is the largest city closest to their hometown and probably has better job and housing opportunites.

A funny. My friend and I were driving down Westheimer (the main drag here). It was a Sat. night and we had just left Chuy's (a mexican place) after having 3 margaritas. We were stopped at a light by a car with LA plates and 3 guys in it. I asked them how they liked Houston. They said they liked it and probably were gonna stay. But one guy said he was going home meaning NO. So, anyway we ditched them a few lights up cuz they were flirting too much. LOL The only reason I chatted them up was cuz my friend was on the phone so I couldn't listen to the radio and I was bored.

That's terribly sad (the fighting). Sometimes you wonder though....at least I do...aren't they learning this behavior from adults? I feel bad for the people who suffered loss (human life and/or material), but I'm reading A LOT of stories of very ungrateful people. I think it's time they pull up their boot straps (those who can) and get off their butt and start doing for themselves or at least try. IMO.

We have a lot of evacuees here in Austin, not as many as Houston.

So when this last fight broke out in Houston, they interviewed Austin kids here and asked if there were a lot of fights with the LA evacuees. They said, everyone one of them, that when they first came they kept trying to stir up gang wars but it didn't happen. Finally they gave up.

In my son's high school, there are only 5 katrina evacuees. They've said they're surprised at how different it is here - there aren't daily turf fights in the hallways. One girl sits next to my son in a class, a real sweet girl, she said Austin is so different from New Orleans.

I think that will be the silver lining of the horror of Katrina. Some of those kids who were living in that hellhole of the 7th ward are now sprung out like little seeds in the wind to sprout in a better place.

This could be all the difference for some of these people...the different environment.
KatherineQ said:
We have a lot of evacuees here in Austin, not as many as Houston.

So when this last fight broke out in Houston, they interviewed Austin kids here and asked if there were a lot of fights with the LA evacuees. They said, everyone one of them, that when they first came they kept trying to stir up gang wars but it didn't happen. Finally they gave up.

In my son's high school, there are only 5 katrina evacuees. They've said they're surprised at how different it is here - there aren't daily turf fights in the hallways. One girl sits next to my son in a class, a real sweet girl, she said Austin is so different from New Orleans.

I think that will be the silver lining of the horror of Katrina. Some of those kids who were living in that hellhole of the 7th ward are now sprung out like little seeds in the wind to sprout in a better place.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back