763 users online (144 members and 619 guests)  

Websleuths News

KS - Clutters killer Dick Hickock's book found

jezebel.com:

In Cold Blood Subject Wrote His Own Just-
    Discovered Book, Which Truman Capote Kept Secret

Good article which discusses and quotes from a WSJ piece (sub only):

Richard Hickock, one of the two Kansas murderers whose trial and life was chronicled in Truman Capote’s genre-shifting In Cold Blood, also wrote his own book with a Kansas journalist; it was never published and though Capote knew about it, he never once mentioned it in his notes.

Even Capote scholars didn’t know about Hickock’s manuscript [....] beginning as handwritten pages mailed to the journalist Mack Nations who compiled it into book form and tried to get it published before it ultimately vanished.
    ---
    Much more at the link.
    -
    -
    Last edited by wfgodot; 03-18-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks for the link. That's certainly interesting. Dick Hickock says the murders were a paid "hit" job? Hickock always struck me as the most dishonest of the two, so this sounds like him trying to lessen his culpability. More likely it was as they determined - a prison pal gave them bad information. Herb Clutter had no safe and kept his cash in the bank. When they realized how badly they had screwed up, they panicked and killed the family so there would be no witnesses. Just a poorly planned robbery gone wrong with tragic consequences.

Can definitely see, though, how Dick would have gotten help writing something like this. Of the two, he seemed to have a big ego and was the fast talking con-artist. He was notorious for manipulating, using and abusing people, including his own parents. Textbook sociopath with absolutely no feeling for other people. It would be interesting to read the book as it would give some insight into his personality, but I would take most of it with the proverbial grain of salt.

Really pathetic that he makes light of killing the family, bragging about the gory details. What a sorry POS he was. Not sure why, but I always felt the most sympathy for Kenyon Clutter, poor kid. Had to listen to them kill his own father before his own death. Just a horrible crime against very kind, good people.

More links:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...e-know-w472860

Link from Rolling Stone article about fact checking Capote's work

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c...er_missed.html
    Last edited by Betty P; 03-24-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    All statements are my opinion only.

Probably just an as-usual faulty sense of deja vu here, but I seem to recall the "Hickcock said it was a hit" info from long ago. Did this ring a bell with anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Probably just an as-usual faulty sense of deja vu here, but I seem to recall the "Hickcock said it was a hit" info from long ago. Did this ring a bell with anybody?
    Kind of. I also recall reading long ago that Hickock had worked on his own book while in prison. May have been Capote who said that. Also recall he and Perry were no longer communicating while in prison, not surprising. He didn't like Perry working with Capote on the book.
    All statements are my opinion only.