[h=1]Donna Jean Michalenko[/h]
  • donna_jean_michalenko_1.jpg
Michalenko, circa 1968

• Missing Since 11/02/1968
  • Missing From Kief, North Dakota
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Age 38 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 125 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Black hair, brown eyes.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Michalenko was last seen in Kief, North Dakota on November 2, 1968. She and a male friend went to a bar and stayed until midnight. Her friend said he dropped her off at her in Butte, North Dakota, at the home of her ex-husband and three children. She has never been heard from again.

Michalenko had a history of leaving town voluntarily for extended time periods. As a result, she was not reported missing until December 27, six weeks after she was last seen. Her daughter filed the report.

Foul play is now suspected in her case, but it remains unsolved and few details are available.

http://charleyproject.org/case/donna-jean-michalenko

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14567/

Would be great if she came into the "light" again.

Unfound Podcast by Matt Dentzel (sorry if I misspelled)

<snipped: Talking about organizing NLF…knowing things through and through you have to talk with everybody who can tell something about an issue. Getting it back to this case, and how many persons around this case have to be talked with: who know things….about the enviroment, the circumstances around this missing person.

Last seen in Kiev, North Dakota….nov 2, 1968, 38 years old, divoreced woman with three children.

After a night out with a male friend, she was romanticly involved with, around midnight, they went home. The male friend said he dropped her off at the house were her ex-husband (Bert Michalenko) lived with her three chlidren. She was never seen again.

She was used to dissapeare for longer times, taking trips, nothing strange, so thats why she wasn’t reported missing immidiatly but later, by her daughter, on December 27th. I wonder how old the daughter was at that time? I think she was a sweet mother, and wouln’t leave without telling anybody.

<snipped, introducing the involvment off CarlK and his personal passion, the reason why he is doing what he does>

<snipped, marketing for the podcast>

<snipped, Eric Grabowsky introducing himself, and telling why he became interested in this case>

What did Mr. Grabowsky discovered during his investigation.

North Dakota is a rural state with a relativly small population. Not everything what is reported is wrong, but incomplete.

In 2000, LE got an enlighted interest for cold cases, also for Donna’s case.

The friend she was romanticly involved with, who took her out , called- B.L. – They went to Earl’s bar in Kiev North Dakota, a settelment with people from the Ukraine.

Donna was outgoing, caring for people, decorated wedding cakes, she was focussed on other people. She was used to take trips for periods of time, that’s why there wasn’t immidiatly a red flag.

She was devorced, but was cleaning there, had a relationships with her family, kids.

She lived by her self in another place….friend claimes he dropped her off at her familly house…why? What could have been a reason…..I think you don’t stumble in your family house with children all of a sudden, in the mids of the night, especially when you have your own place.

Bert, ex-husband claimed she never showed up that night. The family and the regular people didn’t see her. So, red flags were going up.

B.L. had a farm. Couldn’t hear the place, county name right, something with a B.

Donna Jean M was a married name, maiden name was Hight/Height?

According to LE it is an ungoing open case.

There were people who remebered the day, Doris went missing. A guy from the bar was talking with her family about this issue. He told that he did see her that night: She was in this bar…. in the relationship there was some anger and violence. Back then he was very young…out and about…. he had seen a car that was of the road in a ditch, it was possibly Donna's friend car.

Question from Matt: How did you find the family? They have an unique name, and there are not so many people living in Norh Dakota. The daughter called Mr, Grabowsky herself.

Learned from talking with the family:

Donna, had a dog , called Trixie. The dog was also missing, but later found at a Luthern church, shot to death.

There was anger, tensions and violence in the relationship, that was on display that evening and in earlier moments of their relationship.

She cared about her family…..this sits with people… ideas how this all happened. He was a POI at some point or a strong suspect…he dropped Donna off at the ex husband house….could be a lie.

Who is B.L.?

Living in Buick????? of North Dakota, having a farm….

Not seeing anything off with B.L. as of today, no red flags .

Donna’s Maiden name Height/Heigt??? A name for Germans from Russia.

Could Bert have killed her? Bert…the ex could have done it …but Donna had no obsticals to maintaining a relationship with her children or her ex-husband. She went cleaning there, taking care of her children. Nothing in his background indicates that Bert could have murdered her. He was the father of all of her three children.

In the family they are reasonably objective and authentic. They are Mr. Grabowsky's primary point of contact

H.P?? The name H.P. is coming along a few times. Don’t know who that is, maybe a family member.

<snipped, talking about another case>

Where did Donna went? Trips to family, friends, she was an outgoing person, there is no inclination of wrong doing

Did she walked away from her live? Not very likely….Her personal fonds stayed intact after she went missing. Mr. Grabowsky looked for her, searched for different names, but didn’t find anaything. It’s highly unlikely that she dissapeared intentionally

B. L. ?

For the family he remains a strong suspect

Did B,L, show any remorse ?

I dont get any sense he had a proactive involment….he was available but it was a kind of strange. He was questioned, after all that time, so it went a little strange.

<snipped, talking about a missing person case in the old days compairing it with more recent missing cases and the available technics>

Other theories?

Over the years Mr. Grabowsky had possible a slight changing in the way of thinking. B.L. stays a strong suspect. Could there be a serial killer at work?…no connection found. Ruled out organized crime…..not a strong influence of East European maffia connection. H.P. (according to the tekst of the podcast it turns out to be a him) …mentioned that Norht Dakota had a kind of history with satanic woreship….told him about the book “the ultimate evil”. He doesn’t believe that Donna was killed about drugs, organized crime. Could there be a third party here, a third way? He can’t completely rule that out.

Is she declared dead?

Not yet (at time this podcast is made). In the file she is “Endangered missing”. Mr. Grabowsky doesn’t believe her body is discovered as an UID. Her body is most likely in or around Clain??? county.

Look at Cold Case Journalism #ColdCaseWeb

<snipped, about Websleuths not being that efficient, lot’s of little pieces of information/nice to talk about a case, not so nice if you want to have the most important information>

Last edited:
Tree Details — FamilySearch.org

According to this record, Donna was born in 1929. Bert Michalenko and Donna divorced in 1964, in Sheridan County, North Dakota, so when Donna went missing they were already divorced for approxx. 4 years. In this record her name is spelled Donna Jeanne Heydt.

I found an obituary for Bert Michalenko, Donna's ex-husband. I'm not sure it is allowed to post it here.

She is mentioned in it, but also with a different spelling, namely Donnajeanne Heydt (her maiden name). Nothing in this article suggest he was something other then a decent person.

upload_2019-10-7_9-30-45.png

It would be so nice to see other pictures of her...without the babushka head scarf. I think she had beautiful hair. Dark and wavy.

It is amazing to look at the pics cleaned up and I believe it will help people remember the missing . Thanks very much :)

Couldn't they match the bullet from the poor Trixie's body to a weapon? I see a lot of anger there, it's like the murderer tried to hurt Donna. As a dog lover, I know that would have broken her heart.

And thanks a lot! Sorry, I kept this thread going...dug up all kind of information and only there are a lot's of credits for a cleaned up picture, not in there for the likes, but sorry......did anyone ever read what I found....never mind....it's just one of these day again....frustrated.....gone now....lot's of luck solving this case...sadly without me advocating for her now....Good thoughts for you sweet Donna. I hope one day they will find you.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back