1234 users online (212 members and 1022 guests)  

Websleuths News

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Chuck Barris, 'King of Daytime TV', dead at 87

Mar 22 2017, 8:05 am ET

Chuck Barris, ‘King of Daytime TV’ Who Claimed to Be CIA Assassin, Dead at 87

NEW YORK — Chuck Barris, whose game show empire included "The Dating Game," ''The Newlywed Game" and that infamous factory of cheese, "The Gong Show," died at 87.

Barris died of natural causes Tuesday afternoon at his home in Palisades, New York, according to publicist Paul Shefrin.

Decades before shows such as "American Idol" and "America's Got Talent" came along, Barris put everyday people who did not mind exposing their vulnerabilities or answering embarrassing questions before the cameras...

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/p...sassin-n736841

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Chuck Barris, TV game show creator and host, dies at 87
    He was best known as host of 'The Gong Show'

By MADISON PARK , CNN

Posted: 7:47 AM, March 22, 2017
    Updated: 7:53 AM, March 22, 2017

(CNN) - Chuck Barris, best known as host of the TV series "The Gong Show" and creator of "The Dating Game" and "The Newlywed Game," died Tuesday.

He was 87.

He passed away at his home in Palisades, New York, from natural causes, according to publicist Paul Shefrin.

As host of "The Gong Show," Barris introduced amateur performers to three celebrity judges, who could put a stop to terrible performances by striking the gong. Much like on "American Idol," awful performances became ratings smash hits. The TV show aired from 1976 to 1980...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/entert...ris-dead-at-87

When you think about it, The Gong Show was an early versions of American Idol tryouts. And 'so bad it's good' YouTube.

And then there was that time he claimed to be a CIA assassin....
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Awww, I always loved ole Chuck and watched The Gong Show as a kid.
    One of my favourite movies is Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind.
    Sam Rockwell, whom I think is an incredible actor, did a fabulous job playing Chuck.

Godspeed Chuck Barris, dancing away in the afterlife

Quote Originally Posted by U2forever View Post
    Awww, I always loved ole Chuck and watched The Gong Show as a kid.
    One of my favourite movies is Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind.
    Sam Rockwell, whom I think is an incredible actor, did a fabulous job playing Chuck.

Godspeed Chuck Barris, dancing away in the afterlife
    Mr. Bee and I watched it tonight. Very good....Sam Rockwell has Barris's moves down to a science.

Some great clips from a few of Chuck's shows, featuring famous and infamous guests. Peewee Herman on The Gong Show, serial killer Rodney Alcla on The Dating Game (he won) and Andy Kaufman spoofing on the show as Baji Kimram. Lots of other stars appeared on the DG too.

And then there is the well-known clip from The Newlywed Game where the woman answered the question about the strangest place she and her husband made love...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/e...ck-Barris.html

Chuck may not have really been in the CIA but he sure brought some great entertainment to daytime television in the '60's and '70's. Oh, and remember the hit song Palisades Park, sung by Freddie Cannon? Chuck wrote it.

Thanks for the good times Chuck Barris!

I always thought that Chuck Barris was the cutest person!! Such adorableness.

MsMarple pointed out that lots of stars went on the Dating Game and Tom Selleck was one of them...Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarple View Post
    Oh, and remember the hit song Palisades Park, sung by Freddie Cannon? Chuck wrote it.
    snip

Loved the Gong Show. We always watched at the dorm in college

All statements are my opinion only.

Oh Betty - that brought back so many great memories lol. Thank you for that!