OK - Sarena Sherrard for child endangerment, Oklahoma City, 2005

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — An Oklahoma City woman was charged with child abuse Wednesday for injecting human waste into her 2 1/2-year-old daughter, Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane said.

Sarena Sherrard, 30, was charged with child abuse by Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy, a condition in which people often injure their children in order to gain attention and sympathy for themselves.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2005/1208/sherrard_ap.html

My God!!! This little one also had 15 surgeries!!! No matter how long I live I can't understand how a mother can intentionally do anything to harm her own child. Where do these people come from?? :banghead: :banghead:

Jesus Christ on a Raft! What is wrong with these people???????????? I am sick hearing this. I want to take all these babies home with me. I also want to have an AK47 and just do justice myself. OK! I have got to calm down. This isn't good...brings out really bad reactions in me when I hear of babies being harmed.

Child suffering from failure to thrive.....all because of a sick mother....hopefully, she will recover and be removed from the home and will thrive one day....poor little thing....

concernedperson said:
Jesus Christ on a Raft! What is wrong with these people???????????? I am sick hearing this. I want to take all these babies home with me. I also want to have an AK47 and just do justice myself. OK! I have got to calm down. This isn't good...brings out really bad reactions in me when I hear of babies being harmed.
I feel the same CP. It's so heartbreaking reading stories about babies thrown in the trash, put in hot dryers, beaten, stoned, etc, etc. It seems there is no end to these stories happening to innocent babies. Whatever God's plan is, I sure have a lot of questions for Him about these things happening. It just never makes any sense to me and I get quite worked up and upset myself.

I am in NOWAY advocating that children should be hurt ..
Its awful and sad to read of that poor baby.

BUt I am sad at the lack of sympathy for one who clearly has serious mental illness.
I wonder if Dr's have a way to profile these women? Treat them??
IMO noway should they ever be permitted to have other children..
But it would be nice to know that before they even have one.

Amraann said:
I am in NOWAY advocating that children should be hurt ..
Its awful and sad to read of that poor baby.

BUt I am sad at the lack of sympathy for one who clearly has serious mental illness.
I wonder if Dr's have a way to profile these women? Treat them??
IMO noway should they ever be permitted to have other children..
But it would be nice to know that before they even have one.
Amaaran, that would be ideal if there was a way to know if a woman has a mental illness, or some propensity to harm their baby. It would save lives and a lot of grief. But the mother's syndrome I think should have been picked up on by the doctors during that child's 2 1/2 years of life. A child with many doctor visits in such a short time for a lot of different illness and hospitilizations should have been noticed by the health care professionals as not normal. Yes that mother was sick in the head, still I just find it hard to sympathize with women like that, and I despise the people close to her that didn't try to get her help. What I find in a lot of these cases is the mothers have no family support or a circle of friends to turn to when things get stressful or if they're in an abusive relationship. It's like nobody even notices or cares things aren't right with her mind. It's such a sad situation for everyone involved.

SadieMae said:
Amaaran, that would be ideal if there was a way to know if a woman has a mental illness, or some propensity to harm their baby. It would save lives and a lot of grief. But the mother's syndrome I think should have been picked up on by the doctors during that child's 2 1/2 years of life. A child with many doctor visits in such a short time for a lot of different illness and hospitilizations should have been noticed by the health care professionals as not normal. Yes that mother was sick in the head, still I just find it hard to sympathize with women like that, and I despise the people close to her that didn't try to get her help. What I find in a lot of these cases is the mothers have no family support or a circle of friends to turn to when things get stressful or if they're in an abusive relationship. It's like nobody even notices or cares things aren't right with her mind. It's such a sad situation for everyone involved.

And to add more to your excellent post there are some who deny anything is wrong in their family. Thereby, allowing more abuses to go on. They may notice but it is more convenient to ignore.

SadieMae said:

Yes, and Munchausen's paints such a confusing picture - the mothers appear extremely attentive to their children's needs, they tend to be very polite and cooperative and friendly to the medical staff, they seem to have a real interest in learning about the child's illness and care, and their children seem to have mystery illnesses. It seems like it would be VERY difficult to tell a munchausen's parent from a concerned parent with a sick child.

That's just disgusting! That's obscene!

What the heck is wrong with people.
:mad:

PrayersForMaura said:
That's just disgusting! That's obscene!

What the heck is wrong with people.
:mad:

See, that's how I feel about this too. There are women who kill their children who are delusional, they think God has told them to kill their kids, they think their kids eyes are the devil, bizarre stuff, but they are out of their minds and they really, I believe, are helpless and their brains betray them. Like Andrea Yates.

This "disease", though? It looks to me like a pathetic wallow in attention, like the runaway bride thing. Disgraceful, has nothing to do with delusions or psychosis, just someone who is willling to sacrifice other people for a little attention for themselves. Gads. Thank Goodness for the children who are saved when their mothers are discovered.

KatherineQ said:
Yes, and Munchausen's paints such a confusing picture - the mothers appear extremely attentive to their children's needs, they tend to be very polite and cooperative and friendly to the medical staff, they seem to have a real interest in learning about the child's illness and care, and their children seem to have mystery illnesses. It seems like it would be VERY difficult to tell a munchausen's parent from a concerned parent with a sick child.
I agree it would be difficult to tell the difference, but when there are multiple "mystery" illnesses seems some investigation needs to be done. Wouldn't that raise a red flag?

Sadie I agree with your post and actually Katherine yours as well.

Your perspective sheds a differing light.

But how does one determine this?
I mean do we say its mental illnes when Andrea does it and not when the mental illness seems more self serving??

Its a real diagnosed mental illness. It differs from that of the likes of Susan Smith.

The mind is sooo complex I think just because it seems self serving is an apparence to those of us not afflicted.

Do these woemn ever confess or shed light on themselves once caught?
Maybe it is purely self serving and differs in noway then a murderer who does so for money.

personally I think anyone capable of killing without doing so in the line of duty or in self defense must be crazy. I am not saying let them go..

Just that obviously to kill another person requires some weird mental issue that most of us never suffer from.

Amra, I think in a lot of cases they have no considerate thought processes. More a sense of entitlement. Is this insanity? Or lack of humanity? I don't know for sure. This is why I wish we could recruit more shrinks...more info is always the best for determination.

Yes, the human mind can be a most wonderful thing of what it can achieve for the good of all. That being said, it can also swing the other way into darkness and depravity just as deeply to where I can't even imagine going. Andrea Yates is a perfect example of my earlier post. She was isolated, stressed with so many children 24/7. I suppose her husband did what he could, but her life didn't change. After her hospitalizations, she had more kids, & stayed isolated. Her children were in danger and Rusty should have seen that. Susan Smith...well I'd be happy to put the needle in her arm myself (after I beat the crap outta her)!

When you read stories about mother's killing their children, I can't remember one story saying the mother worked outside the home, was a social person, had a close family and many friends.

i thought i was going to read that this was some new "holistic therapy" dreamed up by a fasting, raw-foodist mom, and cult-figure dad..... LOL

god the world is getting sicker and more twisted by the day.... signs of our own extinction, maybe....??

I read a book about this, it was called Sickened by Julie Gregory. This girl was put through so much, I can't even begin to describe all of the things her mother did to her to make her sick. She is an extremely strong person to have endured the years of abuse from her mother. I don't have any kids, but I found this book hard to read at some parts because sometimes Julie would try to reach out for help and no one would believe her. This book is right up there with A Child Called It.

I read the series of books by Dave Pelzer....He's an AMAZING person!!!
Paradise said:
I read a book about this, it was called Sickened by Julie Gregory. This girl was put through so much, I can't even begin to describe all of the things her mother did to her to make her sick. She is an extremely strong person to have endured the years of abuse from her mother. I don't have any kids, but I found this book hard to read at some parts because sometimes Julie would try to reach out for help and no one would believe her. This book is right up there with A Child Called It.

T'sNana said:
I read the series of books by Dave Pelzer....He's an AMAZING person!!!
I read them too, I especially liked the last one because I at least knew he ended up as OK as someone could who went through what he did. He is a very amazing person, and to be able to sit down and write about it takes a huge amount of courage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back