OK - Three shot dead in Broken Arrow home invasion, 27 March 2017 *Arrest*

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Washington Post:

Gunfire rang out Monday afternoon in a home in Broken Arrow, an Oklahoma city 15 miles southeast of Tulsa. Three intruders were killed after the son of the homeowner fired a semiautomatic rifle in what local law enforcement officers later described as an act of self-defense, though their investigation remains open.

The intruders — a 16-year-old, a 17-year-old and a man thought to be 18 or 19 — had smashed open the back door of the house, the Wagoner County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement posted to Facebook. Their plan was burglary, authorities said.
---
much more at the links

Three burglars entered an Oklahoma home. The
owner’s son opened fire with an AR-15, deputies say.

Tulsa World:

Woman arrested after Broken Arrow-area man fatally shoots three intruders

Three masked armed men entered the home?

I have no problem with this unless it turns out the person that died outside was shot in the back while he was already outside.

Thank goodness he was armed, why people do home invasions in Texas and Oklahoma is beyond me.. Sad that that 4 individuals decided to throw their lives away.. 3 dead, 1 charged with first degree murder (rightfully so) for being the get away driver.

wfgogot - thx for opening thread. Looks like resident who shot the three may use either OK castle doctrine defense, or defense of self or others, imo. That is, if all shots were fired while the 3 were inside home. {{ETA: Of course, <---that's a preliminary thought; other facts & info could lead in a different direction.}}

Excerpt from OK statute, w bbm & sbm.
"B. A person ...is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:1. The person against whom the defensive force was used ... had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling,...and
2. The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act ... had occurred."

JM2cts.
Sad, sad, sad for everyone.

________________________________________________________________________________
Section of OK statue, also w bbm:
"A. The Legislature hereby recognizes that the citizens of the State of Oklahoma have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes or places of business.
B. A person or an owner, manager or employee of a business is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
1. The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle, or a place of business, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against the will of that person from the dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle, or place of business; and
2. The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
C. The presumption set forth in subsection B of this section does not apply if:
1. The person against whom the defensive force is used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not a protective order from domestic violence in effect or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person;
2. The person or persons sought to be removed are children or grandchildren, or are otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used; or
3. The person who uses defensive force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle, or place of business to further an unlawful activity.
D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
E. A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter the dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle of another person, or a place of business is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
F. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.
G. A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force, but the law enforcement agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.
H. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection F of this section.
I. The provisions of this section and the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not be construed to require any person using a pistol pursuant to the provisions of this section to be licensed in any manner.
J. As used in this section:
1. "Dwelling" means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people;
2. "Residence" means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest; and
3. "Vehicle" means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property."

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69782.

BTW,"Stand Your Ground" concept (^ in para-D) is usually applied to locations other than the residence, where person has a right to be and no duty to retreat.

Thank goodness he was armed, why people do home invasions in Texas and Oklahoma is beyond me.. Sad that that 4 individuals decided to throw their lives away.. 3 dead, 1 charged with first degree murder (rightfully so) for being the get away driver.

I feel that if he was not armed that he is the one that might not be alive right now. Those three went in there with bad intent.
It is just so horrible that this is how we live today.
I know an investigation is still underway but I will support anyone defending their home and family against these crimes of innocent people in their own homes which are supposed to be out safe havens.

I saw that the three dead burglars have now been publicly identified. None of the boys live or go to school in Broken Arrow and neither did the girl. I want to know how this girl knew the homeowner, and why choose that house? Two boys were 17 and one was 18.

I wouldn't rob a home in Wagoner County. I mean, I wouldn't rob a home period, but out in Wagoner County it's a little more rural, a little more "country" I guess you'd call it, and more homes with more guns.

It's just terrible, and a big shock to our town again. We're still trying to get over the Bever murders!

NICE way to throw away your life.
Just do not break into anyone's home, period.
Exactly what did they think they were going to steal ?
50.$ ? 100.$ ?

Some people don't keep a lot of cash on hand. So was the motive credit cards ?
So (if you're the burglar) , are you going to get the homeowner to hand over their cards ...and assume if you have a gun, knives, brass knuckles, or whatever-- the homeowner will just be frightened and do whatever you say ?

Newsflash -- some people don't think that way. And if they're fearing for their lives (and rightfully so, in this scenario at the Peters' home) they'll use lethal force.

If this Zach had waited to see what the burglars would do and just stayed compliant--- we might be reading about HIS death ! And maybe the deaths of the other people who lived there, as well !

If someone forces their way into your home-- even you're not armed, you'd better start fighting for your life. Because many burglaries turn into murders.
Sometimes criminals are already 'high' on something, and they're not (obviously) in their right minds -- so to kill the homeowner to 'silence' the witness is a great possibility.

Do not comply with anyone who enters your home without permission.
As soon as you have the chance-- fight for your life ; because it probably IS a matter of life or death !

MOO

Per below, Rodriguez took the suspects to the house on two occasions before this attack.

Also per image of affidavit, she knew homeowner's name.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/woman-...-wagoner-county-home-invasion-triple-homicide Mar 28

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/2...-driver-planned-break-in-prosecutors-say.html

^ Some poss indications of premeditation, at least as to intention of burglary. JM2cts.

Hmmm, she knew the homeowner. I wonder what this was all about. She targeted this young man and his parents and convinced three teenage boys to break into the home. I hope we get to hear the whole story because I have a feeling it's an interesting one. I feel bad for the son. Reports say he was crying and asking the police if the perps he shot were going to be okay.

Masked teenage burglars who were gunned down by homeowner's son had struck property ALREADY that day - and he pleaded with police to SAVE their lives

"The three teenage raiders who were shot dead while breaking into a house had already robbed the property hours earlier, DailyMail.com can reveal.
They went back for a second robbery and paid with their lives."

"They had stolen alcohol from a garage at the rear of the detached house before returning and breaking into the main house and meeting their deaths."

"Police say that having got away with the first raid they decided to chance a second robbery in the belief that the house was unoccupied."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...regnant-gunned-perpetrator.html#ixzz4cl1VMDpr

The 21 year old girl apparently was in a relationship with Max Cook according to their FB profiles but the other two boys were not FB friends with her. This 21 year old girl is already the mother of three. What was this Max kid doing with her? I agree, there's more to this story since she planned this and caused so much tragedy. Her three kids will be motherless, I'm sure. The 23 year old, Zach Peters will have to live with this the rest of his life. And, of course the families of the three burglars (none of whom had ever been in trouble with the law, from what I understand) are devastated.

What kind of influence did this girl have over them? She was old enough to buy booze for them. Such a horrible tragedy for everyone involved.

The 21 year old girl apparently was in a relationship with Max Cook according to their FB profiles but the other two boys were not FB friends with her. This 21 year old girl is already the mother of three. What was this Max kid doing with her? I agree, there's more to this story since she planned this and caused so much tragedy. Her three kids will be motherless, I'm sure. The 23 year old, Zach Peters will have to live with this the rest of his life. And, of course the families of the three burglars (none of whom had ever been in trouble with the law, from what I understand) are devastated.

What kind of influence did this girl have over them? She was old enough to buy booze for them. Such a horrible tragedy for everyone involved.

Old enough to buy booze for them. That is exactly what I thought of prior to thinking she was possibly offering a little more than booze to get three teenage guys to rob houses for her.

Maybe it was on inside edition I hear one of the newscasts she insisted the three go back because they didn't get enough for her to pay her rent.

Thanks for posting the 911 call. Homeowner does not seem to realize he hit the third perp.
What a big waste for so many families. I'm sad for the homeowner. I'm sure he did not wake up planning on taking three lives.
It is not worth your life. No one has cash in their homes anymore and electronics are so abundant and available that very few of them are worth 'big bucks'. Why do people break into homes thinking there is a windfall inside?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back