GUILTY NY - Officer Daniel Enchautegui, 28, fatally shot, Bronx, 10 Dec 2005

MrsMush99

Former Member
Reaction score
Link

An off-duty police officer was killed Saturday in a gunfight with two burglars outside his home, and authorities said an actor from "The Sopranos" was a suspect.

Daniel Enchautegui, 28, a three-year veteran, was pronounced dead at a hospital following the 5:15 a.m. shooting, said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

He was the second officer to die in the line of duty in two weeks.

One of the suspects was identified by police as Lillo Brancato Jr., an actor who also appeared in several episodes of "The Sopranos" as Matt Bevilacqua, a mob wannabe who eventually was murdered. He made his debut in the Robert De Niro-directed film "A Bronx Tale" back in 1993.

LBran041021R570.jpg

I'm really surprised I haven't heard this on the news yet. I would think this would be big news.

I picked this up on the million-postings thread. He has a lot of credits in IMDB. I wonder why he turned to burglary let alone murder.

How terribly sad for the officer and his family.

The actor doesn't sound any brighter than the character he played on THE SOPRANOS.

Link

Brancato is being charged in the Police officers murder.

Lillo Brancato Jr., 29, and his alleged accomplice, Steven Armento, 48, both of Yonkers, were listed in fair condition at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx.

The suspects were injured early Saturday while allegedly breaking into a Bronx apartment to steal prescription drugs.

A Bronx Tale is in my top 5 favorite movies. I am sickened by what Brancato is alleged to have done. I feel so bad for the officers family and his lost years on this earth.

Lillo Brancato Jr.'s trial began today. His lawyer? Joe Taco :doh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081124/ap_en_tv/sopranos_actor_trial;_ylt=AhsT6XHvjCUVvt5wsgG1uqFxFb8C

NEW YORK – A prosecutor at the murder trial of Lillo Brancato Jr. told jurors Monday the former "Sopranos" actor got involved in the killing of an off-duty police officer during a desperate mission to steal drugs.
But the defense said Monday in opening statements that the only culprit was the man already convicted in the shooting.
Brancato, 32, is charged with second-degree murder in the 2005 death of Officer Daniel Enchautegui (En-chow-TAY'-gee).

Both sides agreed he had a severe drug problem.

Assistant District Attorney Theresa Gottlieb said Brancato and the other man, Steven Armento, had set out to steal prescription drugs.

Brancato's attorney, Joseph Tacopina, said the only culprit was Armento, who was convicted of first-degree murder on Oct. 30 and has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

*more at link*

Thanks for the update on this case...what a huge tragedy for the officer and a waste of talent.

I had no idea Tacopino was the attorney. I have to read the local papers more often!

I didn't know either, my shoe buddy! I just heard it on the news yesterday and ran to the computer :eek:

Sounds like he had a horrible drug problem, i hope he is able to get help.

This guy got such a gift with that verdict; a real second chance.
Sadly, I'm sure we'll be re-opening this thread within a couple of years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back