TSA Patdown of Child: Too Far?

gitana1

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
This kid with a sensory disorder was extensively patted down after he inadvertently left his laptop in its bag to go through the scanner. His mother is outraged. They missed their flight. What do you all think?

Was this patdown necessary? What are those full body scanners for? What could the kid be hiding under the clothes he was wearing? What do you all think of the mother's response?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tsa-pat...t-dallas/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=35921700

Way, way, way too far, IMO. I would have been infuriated if that ever happened to one of my kids! Have we entirely lost the ability to be logical? Does common sense ever prevail?

Two minutes?! He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt! I was uncomfortable watching. Yes, too far. Unnecessary. Ridiculous.

The agent using "the backs of his hands" near the boy's genitals was disturbing.

I think the mom over reacted and that's the reason they missed the flight. There are rules to follow for everyone's safety when you are flying. If the child is not capable of following directions then the mother should have removed the laptop from the backpack.

I think the TSA agent was doing his job and under the supervision and scrutiny of his supervisor. It seems they have adopted a one procedure search for everyone and likely due to complaints about how different people are searched.

Should a child never be searched? I would disagree with this. Maybe a different search technique should be used on children under a certain age.

Two minutes?! He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt! I was uncomfortable watching. Yes, too far. Unnecessary. Ridiculous.

The agent using "the backs of his hands" near the boy's genitals was disturbing.

I was also very uncomfortable watching and thought perhaps they should have had a female do it but, no, that would have been just as bad! They shouldn't have done it at all. How often does this go on that we don't hear about? FGS!

I was also very uncomfortable watching and thought perhaps they should have had a female do it but, no, that would have been just as bad! They shouldn't have done it at all. How often does this go on that we don't hear about? FGS!

I would guess it happens everyday and we never hear about it because the parents don't over react.

This is just another case of a parent behaving badly that ends up being more traumatic for the child than the actual incident. IMO

The one agent seemed a bit unsure but the other seemed to reassure him so I think it happens all the time.

I've seen videos of adults being put through this (and worse - embarrassing, ridiculous, offensive, not keeping anyone safe) but a kid? Imagine any other adult touching him like that. Ugh. He's never going to want to fly again.

This would be frightening for any child, but especially for a child with a sensory disorder. TSA have (I assume they still have) wands they can use instead of hands and the wand does not have to touch skin.

The pat down sounds creepy, too. Parents and teachers teach children to recognize when someone is touching them inappropriately and then in a situation like this it is supposed to be acceptable? How confusing to a child!

I understand the mother being angry. She may have overreacted, but as a mother she was naturally defensive of her child. I'm sure the TSA agent was just following procedures, but they need to use their own judgment sometimes.

I think it's ridiculous how we've become a such an automated society--not just for efficiency any more, but for fear of terrorism. I understand wanting to be prepared and protecting the innocent, but it goes overboard when the innocent--who are supposed to be protected--are victimized by those who are supposed to protect.

Terrorists will always find a way to circumvent the system in place, so airport staff just need to be alert and recognize (true) potential threats. TSA agents may mechanically follow the rules without regard to common sense, too, because they don't want to be accused of not being PC. JMO

This would be frightening for any child, but especially for a child with a sensory disorder. TSA have (I assume they still have) wands they can use instead of hands and the wand does not have to touch skin.

The pat down sounds creepy, too. Parents and teachers teach children to recognize when someone is touching them inappropriately and then in a situation like this it is supposed to be acceptable? How confusing to a child!
Yes - I would think this would be very conufsing to any child.

I understand the mother being angry. She may have overreacted, but as a mother she was naturally defensive of her child. I'm sure the TSA agent was just following procedures, but they need to use their own judgment sometimes.

I think it's ridiculous how we've become a such an automated society--not just for efficiency any more, but for fear of terrorism. I understand wanting to be prepared and protecting the innocent, but it goes overboard when the innocent--who are supposed to be protected--are victimized by those who are supposed to protect.

Terrorists will always find a way to circumvent the system in place, so airport staff just need to be alert and recognize (true) potential threats. TSA agents may mechanically follow the rules without regard to common sense, too, because they don't want to be accused of not being PC. JMO

IMO, this is more dangerous than a young child. This is how complacency, ineffectiveness and weakness begin.

This kid with a sensory disorder was extensively patted down after he inadvertently left his laptop in its bag to go through the scanner. His mother is outraged. They missed their flight. What do you all think?
Was this patdown necessary? What are those full body scanners for? What could the kid be hiding under the clothes he was wearing? What do you all think of the mother's response?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tsa-pat...t-dallas/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=35921700

gitana1 - Thx for opening thread on this.

Per vid & text, his laptop was not removed from bag before it was scanned. Removal is required, but they did not do it. Red flag for TSA? His mother said, he asked me what did I do wrong. IDK whether mother or son should have removed it, but one of the two could have & should have removed it and submitted it for scanning. If not, why not? Red flag?

Hiding something under shorts & tee-shirt? IDK, just tried wiki to get a sense of size/volume for explosives. Not helpful (or I did not search thoroughly) but remember 'underwear bomber' and 'shoe bomber'? Danger can come in small sizes.

Missed the flight
? Any MSM report,other than mother's stmts, re whether they arrived at gate at recommended time pre-flight? IDK. If mother says, TSA made us miss flight, is it true? IDK. Vid also says (my paraphrasing) TSA had to do further checks on 3 (electronic?) items they wanted to carry on. TSA exam of electronics has been in place for many yrs, even before this boy was born. Did elec checks surprise mother?

That said, until 9-11, I flew frequently on business. No joy even then, glad I no longer do. Flying on biz can be stressful for adults,and even worse for ppl flying w children, let alone children w sensory disorders.

Sympathy for fliers, TSA, and everyone in airline-travel in any capacity. JM2cts.

We were talking on another thread how vehicle windows can be tinted differently than the average person's can for those with sensory issues if a doctor "prescribes" it. They also said if you get pulled over, you show the officer the Rx and that is sufficient. I wonder if we need something like this for people with sensory issues that fly. Does this make sense? I am going on little sleep.

How about this...TSA made my 9 year old daughter submit to a GSR test before they would let us broad in Pensacola. Why u ask? Because she was wearing a Pink brand t-shirt that made metallic reading on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always ask for the patdown because I am not going to expose myself to more rays. It has been no big deal.

There are signs everywhere of what you are supposed to do. It is no surprise. Some people think they are special. We flew internationally right after 9-11. We were in a line that was blocks outside of LAX. Someone came with a sign for our flight as we would have missed it.

They have become way more efficient. Learn the rules or sign up for the precheck option which is only $80.

.... Parents and teachers teach children to recognize when someone is touching them inappropriately and then in a situation like this it is supposed to be acceptable? How confusing to a child! ...
Terrorists will always find a way to circumvent the system in place,...

sbm bbm

bbm #1.
Yes, parents should teach children re inapprop touching, but seems should also teach about exceptions, esp when parent is right there.

bbm #2
And yes, totally agree: terrorists, will find a crack in the system to exploit.

I wish there were better methods to help assure air travel security.

I always ask for the patdown because I am not going to expose myself to more rays. It has been no big deal.

There are signs everywhere of what you are supposed to do. It is no surprise. Some people think they are special. We flew internationally right after 9-11. We were in a line that was blocks outside of LAX. Someone came with a sign for our flight as we would have missed it.

They have become way more efficient. Learn the rules or sign up for the precheck option which is only $80.

bbm

I bet all the terrorists do exactly that.

:angel:

bbm

I bet all the terrorists do exactly that.

:angel:

Maybe. But you have to submit to an extensive background check that includes a personal interview. Even with a precheck you can still be pulled out of line for further screening at the discretion of TSA.

We have been pre checked and it saves a lot of time. It's good to do especially if you travel a lot.

I have a problem with a young child being touched on his or her private areas by a stranger, whether or not the parent is standing there, unless it is a medical professional. And the TSA officer didn't touch near his private areas, he actually touched his private areas. I don't think this makes us safer. Just more willing to give up freedoms in exchange for fear.

gitana1 - Thx for opening thread on this.

Per vid & text, his laptop was not removed from bag before it was scanned. Removal is required, but they did not do it. Red flag for TSA? His mother said, he asked me what did I do wrong. IDK whether mother or son should have removed it, but one of the two could have & should have removed it and submitted it for scanning. If not, why not? Red flag?

Hiding something under shorts & tee-shirt? IDK, just tried wiki to get a sense of size/volume for explosives. Not helpful (or I did not search thoroughly) but remember 'underwear bomber' and 'shoe bomber'? Danger can come in small sizes.

Missed the flight
? Any MSM report,other than mother's stmts, re whether they arrived at gate at recommended time pre-flight? IDK. If mother says, TSA made us miss flight, is it true? IDK. Vid also says (my paraphrasing) TSA had to do further checks on 3 (electronic?) items they wanted to carry on. TSA exam of electronics has been in place for many yrs, even before this boy was born. Did elec checks surprise mother?

That said, until 9-11, I flew frequently on business. No joy even then, glad I no longer do. Flying on biz can be stressful for adults,and even worse for ppl flying w children, let alone children w sensory disorders.

Sympathy for fliers, TSA, and everyone in airline-travel in any capacity. JM2cts.

Any hidden explosives should be visible via the full body scanner. I fail to understand how this pat down was in any way necessary unless they refused to go through the scanner.

Here's the bottom line - we require strict, zero tolerance rules like this because we hire people at 12 bucks an hour to handle our security. I have a problem with that. I think we need to hire real security, pay them well and allow them to use their common sense. These people aren't keeping us safer by being incapable of using common sense or by being untrained and unskilled when it comes to actual security. Lots of stuff constantly gets by the TSA because we aren't employing super skilled, intelligent people. We don't pay them enough for that.

I have a problem with a young child being touched on his or her private areas by a stranger, whether or not the parent is standing there, unless it is a medical professional. And the TSA officer didn't touch near his private areas, he actually touched his private areas. I don't think this makes us safer. Just more willing to give up freedoms in exchange for fear.

Any hidden explosives should be visible via the full body scanner. I fail to understand how this pat down was in any way necessary unless they refused to go through the scanner.

Here's the bottom line - we require strict, zero tolerance rules like this because we hire people at 12 bucks an hour to handle our security. I have a problem with that. I think we need to hire real security, pay them well and allow them to use their common sense. These people aren't keeping us safer by being incapable of using common sense or by being untrained and unskilled when it comes to actual security. Lots of stuff constantly gets by the TSA because we aren't employing super skilled, intelligent people. We don't pay them enough for that.

I don't understand why they didn't use the body scanner either. I have a friend with a child with CP. She wears a scoliosis brace, AFOs, and uses a wheelchair. They make her take off her brace and AFOs when going through security. If she is in a period of severe spasticity it's a nightmare (well, it's not great when she isn't in a period of spasticity either) I'm not convinced a lot of this isn't just a kind of power play. We have essentially rent a cops guarding our airports. I think it's a lot like what has happened with the militarization of the police force. They've hired on all of these vets who have no understanding of what it is to deal with a civilian population, nor do they accept the responsibility to learn, as we are expected to mindlessly comply when confronted with a uniform. I don't think the TSA is equipped to deal with nuance and context. It seems ridiculous to me that the pat down was deemed the proper way to go here.

I don't understand why they didn't use the body scanner either. I have a friend with a child with CP. She wears a scoliosis brace, AFOs, and uses a wheelchair. They make her take off her brace and AFOs when going through security. If she is in a period of severe spasticity it's a nightmare (well, it's not great when she isn't in a period of spasticity either) I'm not convinced a lot of this isn't just a kind of power play. We have essentially rent a cops guarding our airports. I think it's a lot like what has happened with the militarization of the police force. They've hired on all of these vets who have no understanding of what it is to deal with a civilian population, nor do they accept the responsibility to learn, as we are expected to mindlessly comply when confronted with a uniform. I don't think the TSA is equipped to deal with nuance and context. It seems ridiculous to me that the pat down was deemed the proper way to go here.

I agree and have to wonder if there is also some sort of quota they are made to fulfill so as to avoid any perception of racial profiling. I'm not a proponent of racial profiling but, where airline security is concerned, statistics, common sense and consistency should prevail. Otherwise, it's pointless. IMHO.

MOO but it's not too far. If the laptop wasn't it in the bag the patdown wouldn't have happened. Rules are rules and they apply to everyone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back