OH OH/KY - Donald Harvey, 'Angel Of Death' SK Dies After Prison Attack

Tulessa

Reaction score
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Ohio authorities say a serial killer who admitted killing three dozen hospital patients in Ohio and Kentucky during the 1970s and '80s has died after being attacked in his cell.

A prisons spokeswoman says 64-year-old Donald Harvey died Thursday, two days after state troopers say he was found beaten at the state's prison in Toledo.

13502459_G.jpg

http://www.lex18.com/story/35032852/angel-of-death-serial-killer-dies-after-prison-attack

I found a decent article that gives a run-down of Harvey's life and crimes. It's from the Daily Mail. When they write about something worth reading, they can have some good stories. As long as you can ignore the junk ones like "One of the Kardashian girls just realized that your hair can get wet when it's raining and is having a press conference this afternoon to warn their fans" and the like that are all along the right side of the page.

'Angel of Death' murderer who killed up to 87 people in the 1970s and '80s dies two days after being beaten 'by a fellow inmate' in his Ohio prison cell
The Daily Mail (London, UK)
3/30/2017
The 'Angel of Death' serial killer, who admitted to killing three dozen hospital patients in Ohio and Kentucky during the 1970s and '80s, has died after being attacked in his prison cell.

A prisons spokeswoman says 64-year-old Donald Harvey died Thursday at 9.08am, two days after state troopers say he was found beaten in his cell at the state's prison in Toledo.
His first kill came on May 30, 1970 when he killed 88-year-old Logan Evans with a sheet of plastic and a pillow, and listened to his heart with a stethoscope as he died.

The following day he accidentally killed James Tyree, 69, when he used the wrong size catheter on him.

His third victim, claimed on June 22, was also the first of a series of 'mercy killings'. He said Elizabeth Wyatt, 42, had been praying to die so he turned down her oxygen supply until she died.

His victims were claimed while he was at Marymount Hospital in London, Kentucky; the Cincinnati VA Medical Hospital; and Cincinnati's Drake Memorial Hospital.

Here's a basic timeline of Harvey's life (.pdf file) like some of the killers on Murderpedia have...

The only thing I saw that was off was where he was born. He was actually born in SW Ohio, up near Cincinnati. His family moved to Booneville when he was little, so that was where he was raised. I was puzzled by that at first. Nearly everything I read about him said he was born in Butler County, OH. I didn't see how somebody could confuse Owsley County with Cincy, but they weren't completely wrong after all.

Donald Harvey
“Angel of Death”

(via Murderpedia)
Killed Ben Gilbert. This was significant because it was his first premeditated
murder. Ben had knocked Donald unconscious with a urinal and poured its
contents over him, claiming that he thought Donald was a burglar. Harvey
retaliated by catheterizing Gilbert using a female sized #20 catheter instead of the
smaller #18 for men. He then straightened out a coat hanger and shoved the wire
through the catheter about two feet, puncturing his bladder and bowel. He went
into instant shck, breaking into a cold sweat and going into a coma. Harvey
disposed of the wire and replaced the #20 catheter with a #18.
When Donald found out that Carl had been going to the park every Monday and
“playing around” with other men, he started feeding him small doses of arsenic to
make him sick on Sunday so that he couldn’t go to the park on Monday.

The death by catheter sounded horrifying even before the coat hanger got involved.

I also saw that Carl Hoeweler, Harvey's one-time boyfriend (the one he'd give arsenic to so that he'd be too incapacitated to cheat on him) died a couple years ago. It seems that he (probably) died of cancer. I wonder if Harvey's "medication" years ago had any effect on him developing cancer.

Carl F. HOEWELER
Passed away Tuesday August 4, 2015. Age 74 years. Carl was a hairdresser for over 54 years and was the owner of Carl's Coiffures in Mt. Airy. A Visitation will be held at the Wilson Chapel of Twin Towers Retirement Community on Monday, August 17, 2015 from 10 AM until time of Memorial Service at 11 AM. Donations may be sent to the American Institute for Cancer Research...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back