Thread: HI - Reuben Gallegos, 19, Pearl Harbor, 1992 - Man convicted of murder

HI - Reuben Gallegos, 19, Pearl Harbor, 1992 - Man convicted of murder

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...67/detail.html

HONOLULU -- The attorney general's office has charged a man with murder in the case of a man who disappeared 13 years ago.Reuben Gallegos disappeared along with $80,000 from the Navy Exchange. His body was never found. Gallegos was 19 years old at the time.
    [...]
    Gallegos was a cashier at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange. On May 1, 1992, $80,000 was taken.
    Jenaro Torres, a base security guard, was arrested. In his car, officials found stolen money, Gallegos' ID and a gun with spent rounds. Despite several efforts, Gallegos' body was never found.

I can't even find a picture of Reuben, so I can't profile him on the Charley Project. I wish I could. He deserves to be remembered, and this is the first time I've even heard of the guy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to meggilyweggily For This Useful Post:

Kat

This is an interesting story. They had enough evidence back then to convict him of robbery, but not of kidnapping? I understand that it difficult to convict someone of murder when you don't have a body, but why couldn't they get him on kidnapping? That likely would have gotten him a longer sentence than robbery. Wonder what the evidence is is it isn't the his body or an eyewitness? DNA or a forgotten fingerprint? A murder weapon?
    I hope they catch this guy soon.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    This is an interesting story.I hope they catch this guy soon.
    I hope they do to...

relatives might have a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
    . . .I can't even find a picture of Reuben, so I can't profile him on the Charley Project. I wish I could. He deserves to be remembered, and this is the first time I've even heard of the guy.
    Maybe you can find relatives to get a pic. There is only one name exactly like his listed in the yahoo people search so maybe they are related.

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    Maybe you can find relatives to get a pic. There is only one name exactly like his listed in the yahoo people search so maybe they are related.
    I shouldn't want to make an unsolicited contact to a relative, though. A lot of them have a very hard time talking about the disappearance and just want to be left alone.

Maybe there'll be more news about the upcoming trial, with that, a picture of Reuben.

Defense: Murder Victim Gallegos Is Alive

The defense team in a 15-year-old murder case hopes to prove in court that the murder victim is not dead, but only missing.

Not only is he missing, but 19-year-old Ruben Gallegos also was a willing accomplice in the 1992 robbery that caused his disappearance, Deputy Public Defender Ed Harada argued during opening arguments.

Jenaro Torres, 58, faces a second-degree murder charge for the May 1, 1992, disappearance of Gallegos. The body was never found, but Torres was later found with Gallegos' belongings and $78,000. The jury trial began yesterday morning in Circuit Court.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/14/news/story08.html

Does anyone know how this trial went?

Twenty years ago...