1281 users online (217 members and 1064 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

Student Wants to Take Grandma to the Prom but Principal says NO

Whaaaat? The school principal said NO when a young man wanted to bring Grandma to the prom.

It's very sweet for this young man want to take his Grandma to the prom don't you think?

http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde...ama_princ.html

Following the popularity of the post, Catherine said the Eufaula City Schools Board of Education reached out to Maine to further explain the decision. Their reasoning was that if Maine was allowed to take his grandmother to prom, it could open the door for other students to bring similar dates as a joke and turn the school into a mockery.
    What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.
    For a more detail explanation of why Websleuths is asking for your help CLICK HERE

From your link:

"Safety of students and staff is the first and most important of the many tasks of a school administrator. For the 10 years I have been high school principal, we have denied requests each year from students asking to bring older dates to prom. We do not chance leaving any stone unturned when it comes to safety. Most high schools have an age limit for prom attendees."

Why can't they set in their rules something about family members attending. What safety issues is granny going to cause?

I say let Granny attend! I have to commend the grandson for wanting to invite his grandmother.

jmo
    Last edited by Jewels53; 04-01-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added more thought

Translation: We are scared that an elderly person will somehow get hurt on school grounds and we will be liable financially.

Very sad. It is a sweet gesture this kid was trying to make and now it won't be realized.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Spoke to the prom coordinator for our district. Not only would Grandma be welcome but her ticket would be paid by the district as a chaperone!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Let Grandma attend the prom with her grandson. I fail to see what sort of threat she poses to the students.

Take grandma to the prom and let the school end up looking like the asses they are. JMO

The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).

"In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    Translation: We are scared that an elderly person will somehow get hurt on school grounds and we will be liable financially.

Very sad. It is a sweet gesture this kid was trying to make and now it won't be realized.
    I understand what you are saying. Anyone can get hurt on school grounds though, so I fail to see the reasoning. imo

Oh, my. I see no reason why Grandma can't go to the prom with her grandson. Ridiculous.

Breast Cancer Survivor/Superhero

Debugging - both computer program and brain.

Find Bridge Guy - Justice for Libby and Abby

Justice for ALL victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels53 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. Anyone can get hurt on school grounds though, so I fail to see the reasoning. imo
    Just wanted to clarify, not agreeing with the school's stance. My firm handles some school law and I recognize the variety of CYA well IMO.

I personally think the school should simmer down and let gramma go to prom. It is a sweet thing grandson is attempting to pull off and could have resulted in some pretty good feel good coverage by the local press had it been handled differently. Instead the school looks bad when they could have shined in this moment. Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Told DH about this - his response--"This is the world we live in!"

Breast Cancer Survivor/Superhero

Debugging - both computer program and brain.

Find Bridge Guy - Justice for Libby and Abby

Justice for ALL victims.

"Safety of students and staff is the first and most important of the many tasks of a school administrator. For the 10 years I have been high school principal, we have denied requests each year from students asking to bring older dates to prom. We do not chance leaving any stone unturned when it comes to safety. Most high schools have an age limit for prom attendees."
    Warning: Rant ahead

If safety is their excuse do they ban little old ladies from all on campus events? Can't attend a basketball or football game? What about men? Is their a safe age cutoff?

Yes, I know, prom is different but that sounds like more ** from the administration.

MOO

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    Just wanted to clarify, not agreeing with the school's stance. My firm handles some school law and I recognize the variety of CYA well IMO.

I personally think the school should simmer down and let gramma go to prom. It is a sweet thing grandson is attempting to pull off and could have resulted in some pretty good feel good coverage by the local press had it been handled differently. Instead the school looks bad when they could have shined in this moment. Just my thoughts on the matter.
    I understood what you were saying, and wasn't picking on you.

The school's rule is attendees have to be students or younger than 20 years of age. I think that's a good rule because that way they don't have a 27yo (for instance) taking a 17yo to the prom. There's no way a school wants to support something like that. Should an exception be made for family members? For dates older than a certain age?

I think it's sweet he wants to give her a prom. Maybe he and some friends can get together and have their own prom, which is a fun thing actually (I had an anti-prom), but in the end there's no good reason to ignore a valid rule - one that exists to protects students.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    Warning: Rant ahead

If safety is their excuse do they ban little old ladies from all on campus events? Can't attend a basketball or football game? What about men? Is their a safe age cutoff?

Yes, I know, prom is different but that sounds like more ** from the administration.

MOO
    I don't think it's that kind of safety issue. Grandparents attend plays, sports events, graduations, etc., all the time.

Most people don't think a 29 year old should be taking a 17 year old to the prom. But it seems common sense could prevail when it comes to letting a grandson honor his grandmother.

Safety seems to be a cop out when obviously elderly people attend events at the school frequently. MOO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast