BAHAMAS - Jill Begora, 59, 10 December 2005 - Missing from cruise ship

Canadian woman goes missing during Bahamian cruise

Last Updated Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:21:32 EST CBC News
The U.S. Coast Guard and Bahamian naval boats are searching for a Canadian woman after she mysteriously disappeared while on a cruise ship off the Bahamas.

Officials said they fear Jill Begora, 59, may have fallen overboard as she travelled on the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Jewel of the Seas on the weekend.

Officials didn't immediately say where Begora was from or give other details about her.

Her husband reported her absence on Saturday morning, as the ship approached the Bahamian capital of Nassau after visiting the eastern Caribbean island of Antigua.

The crew searched the vessel but couldn't find any sign of Begora and filed a missing person report with the U.S. Coast Guard.

"They did a full ship search and there was no evidence that she had left the ship in Nassau," leading officials to believe she may have fallen into the water, Coast Guard spokesman Dana Warr told the Associated Press.

A Coast Guard C-130 plane was conducting overhead searches on Sunday in the area where Begora was reported missing, about 40 kilometres northeast of Nassau.

Bahamian naval boats were looking for her along the shoreline.

The Jewel of the Seas arrived in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Sunday and was searched by Coast Guard staff.

The investigation will be turned over to the FBI, officials said.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/12/11/bahamas-051211.html

*This has me thinking again about Amy Bradley and Natalee Holloway, although it seems unlikely a 59yr old would get taken into the sex trade*

Highly unlikely that she was taken into the sex trade. However, knowing how little is done as far as investigation on the cruise ships maybe this was a chance of a lifetime for her spouse. Don't know anything, of course,and I certainly hope he isn't responsible. Or it could be some kind of sick game among cruise ship employees.

I'm sick of hearing the cruise lines say that a person must have gone overboard. The darn rails aren't so low that if you bend over to look down you just topple right over. There was that little oriental couple on a cruise ship that "went overboard" a while back. You know they were elderly...their kids had pitched in to send them on the cruise...and it is doubtful that they decided to jump overboard while on a once in a lifetime vacation. They were also probably short.

These darn cruise lines do everything possible to cover their butts when something happens to a passinger. As long as they have already gotten your big bucks they really don't care what happens to you.

I believe it is the senate that is going to be taking a look at the cruise lines and the way they handle missing passengers as soon as they reconvene.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a video camera trained right down each side of a cruise ship. I don't believe anyone falls off. Okay, maybe a young adult who is drinking for the first time might climb the rails and fall off.

No one else. I don't think a 59 year old woman could "fall off" a cruise ship, and it would be a good thing to know whether she jumped or someone threw her off.

KatherineQ said:
I wonder how much it would cost to have a video camera trained right down each side of a cruise ship. I don't believe anyone falls off. Okay, maybe a young adult who is drinking for the first time might climb the rails and fall off.

No one else. I don't think a 59 year old woman could "fall off" a cruise ship, and it would be a good thing to know whether she jumped or someone threw her off.

Excellent idea Katherine. They also need to have the video cameras where no one can touch them. In one case they had been tampered with.

I cant get the link to work, but if you go to wsoctv.com and click on news, then look on the right hand side the story is under National and World headlines. Its the last one in the column

Here....try these link....reported missing by her husband :eek: .

Search already called off....I guess they are resigned that she fell overboard....How could you ever prove that somebody pushed her....unless she had a death wish...I can't see her falling overboard....I'd be checking into her life insurance policies if I were L.E.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/051211/w121134.html

Cdn woman missing - may have fallen overboard from cruise ship off the Bahamas
16:03:03 EST Dec 11, 2005

NASSAU, Bahamas (AP) - A U.S. Coast Guard plane and Bahamian naval boats were searching Sunday for a Canadian woman who may have fallen overboard from a cruise ship off the Bahamas, an official said.

Jill Begora, 59, was reported missing by her husband Saturday morning as the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Jewel of the Seas pulled into Nassau, the Bahamian capital, U.S. Coast Guard spokesman Dana Warr said.

The ship's crew filed a missing person's report with the Coast Guard after a search of the vessel turned up no sign of Begora, Warr said. "They did a full ship search and there was no evidence that she had left the ship in Nassau," leading authorities to believe she may have fallen overboard, Warr said.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/12/11/bahamas-051211.html

The U.S. Coast Guard and Bahamian naval boats have called off a search for a Canadian woman who mysteriously disappeared while on a cruise ship off the Bahamas. Officials said they feared Jill Begora, 59, may have fallen overboard as she travelled on the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Jewel of the Seas on the weekend.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1211coastguard,0,5649135.story?coll=sfla-sports-front&track=mostemailedlink

Coast Guard searches for woman missing from cruise ship

By Alva James-johnson
Staff Writer
Posted December 11 2005, 8:25 PM EST

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]A 59-year-old Canadian woman traveling with her husband on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship was reported missing, heightening safety concerns in an industry already being scrutinized by U.S. lawmakers.

Jill Begora's husband reported her missing Saturday morning as the Royal Caribbean cruise line ship Jewel of the Seas pulled into Nassau, the Bahamas, according to Coast Guard spokesman Dana Warr. The ship's crew searched the vessel for Begora before filing a report with the Coast Guard Saturday night.

"They did a full ship search and there was no evidence that she had left the ship in Nassau," leading authorities to believe she may have fallen overboard, Warr said.

The ship pulled into Port Everglades Sunday morning, and cruise passengers were questioned by Coast Guard officials.

They later reported their findings to the FBI and the ship continued on to Key West, where it was scheduled to dock Monday.

Later Sunday, Royal Caribbean International issued a statement expressing sympathy for the Begora family.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to this family regarding this very tragic situation," Michael Sheehan, a spokesman for the cruise company, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "We care deeply about each and every guest on board our ships, and are always concerned about their well being. Their safety is our top priority and we are doing what we can to assist this family during this difficult time."

Begora's disappearance occurred three days before the U.S. Congressional Subcommittee on National Security, Emerging Threats and International Relations and another sub-committee are scheduled to hold hearings on cruise ship disappearances and crimes.

Tuesday's hearing into international maritime security will include testimony from cruise ship officials about their procedures for responding to incidents and jurisdictional conflicts related to investigations. FBI officials are expected to discuss sexual assaults and other crimes that occur on cruise ships.

There have been about a dozen disappearances on cruise ships in recent years, according to The Associated Press. Prior to Begora's disappearance, the most recent case involved George Allen Smith IV of Greenwich, Conn., who vanished July 5 while honeymooning on the Royal Caribbean ship Brilliance of the Seas in the Mediterranean Sea, between Greece and Turkey.
[/font]

How can anyone fall off a cruise ship?? These ships are gigantic with high sides and railings. Unless you leap over the side I don't know how you could accidently end up overborad. To me this type of dissapearance should be labled foul play until proven otherwise. Unless the missing person is over 10 feet tall.

mjak

I wish they would say where she was from...only that she is Canadian...hmm...?? Wonder where she told hubby she was going to be/doing after 9:00 a.m. and why he wasn't worried about her until 1:00 p.m....?? Did hubby get off the ship at 11:30 I wonder....so many questions????

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/nation/13389883.htm

Jill Begora, 59, was reported missing by her husband around 1 p.m. Saturday, according to U.S. Coast Guard officials.

The Royal Caribbean cruise ship docked in Nassau, Bahamas, around 11:30 a.m. that day, said Michael Sheehan, a spokesman for Royal Caribbean Cruises. Begora's husband said the last time he saw her was about 9 a.m. Saturday.

Begora did not use her ID card to get off the ship in Nassau, Sheehan said.

Announcements were made onboard the ship and a full search was conducted, but Begora was not found, Sheehan said.

The Jewel of the Seas departed Nassau on Saturday and ''retraced its course into that port,'' according to a statement from Royal Caribbean. The ship filed a missing-persons report Saturday with the Coast Guard, according Dana Warr, a Coast Guard spokesman.

She is from St. Catherines, ON

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051212/NEWS01/51212005/1075

Jill Begora, 59, of St. Catharines, Ontario, hasn’t been seen since about 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Coast Guard officials said. Her husband, Dennis Begora, reported her missing about 1 p.m. from the cruise ship Jewel of the Sea.

Thomas Begora, 69, who lives in Fort Myers, said he’s holding out hope that authorities find his cousin’s wife alive. He recently returned himself from a Caribbean cruise to Jamaica and Costa Maya.

“First of all, it’s unbelievable. Maybe she is on the island,” he said. “I certainly hope she didn’t fall overboard. Our prayers are with the family.”

Thomas Begora said he doesn’t believe the couple has a Florida connection, such as a winter home.

If they aren't treated as suspicious....someone could be getting away with murder....IMO

I think if they dont investigate these "accidents" more thoroughly<sp> people will just assume they can get away with this kind of crime and we are going to start hearing about it more often. When someone murders their spouse, instead of doing it on dry land where there will be evidence, some will possibly just book a cruise because it looks like an easy way to get rid of someone :mad:

You know the funny thing to me is that no one sees anything. We have taken a few cruises and have walked the decks at all hours. There are always people out. I fail to see how someone could go overboard and no one notice.

Larry King will do segment on cruise ship missing persons on Tuesday, 13 December.

mjak said:
How can anyone fall off a cruise ship?? These ships are gigantic with high sides and railings. Unless you leap over the side I don't know how you could accidently end up overborad. To me this type of dissapearance should be labled foul play until proven otherwise. Unless the missing person is over 10 feet tall.

mjak
A child or a small woman could easily fall through the bottom rails. Especially when it is windy and the sea is rough. They usually close down the decks in really rough weather. But they are calling it a suspect murder???? WOW...this is freaky. I have been on that ship. It is a nice ship. The news is acting like they covered up the crime scene.

dancingdaisy said:
I think if they dont investigate these "accidents" more thoroughly<sp> people will just assume they can get away with this kind of crime and we are going to start hearing about it more often. When someone murders their spouse, instead of doing it on dry land where there will be evidence, some will possibly just book a cruise because it looks like an easy way to get rid of someone :mad:
My husband has never had the desire to go on a cruise ship- if he ever does suddenly-hmmmmmmm- I think I will pass on that option!:cool:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back