California Unprepared for Tsunami

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site

How prepared are YOU?

I have to admit I've never thought about it occurring there! Just earthquakes, riots and wildfires.... Surely the Studio City/Hollywood/Burbank area is inland enough? :chicken: And...there would be plenty of warning, right?!?

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/12/D8EEIST01.html

SNIP

Tsunami waves generated by a large offshore earthquake would threaten at least 1 million coastal residents in California and inundate the nation's largest port complex, according to a new report. The bleak study being released Monday found gaps in the state's readiness to handle a tsunami, including flaws in the existing warning system, lack of evacuation plans by coastal communities, and building codes that don't take into account tsunami-strength surges.

In addition, many residents are unaware of the potential danger of tsunami waves and wouldn't know how to respond, the report said.

"I don't think we're ready yet, but we're getting there," said Richard McCarthy, executive director of the California Seismic Safety Commission, which issued the report. The commission, an independent advisory panel, formed a special committee to look at the dangers after last December's deadly tsunami in Southeast Asia. In the past century, more than 80 tsunamis -mostly minor- have been recorded or observed along the California coastline

In the history of California, has there ever been one?

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/12/D8EEIST01.html

SNIP

In the past century, more than 80 tsunamis _ mostly minor _ have been recorded or observed along the California coastline. The most deadly was in 1964 when a magnitude-9.2 earthquake in Alaska generated massive waves that killed 12 people. Scientists have also kept a close eye on a 680-mile fault 50 miles off the West Coast that behaves much like those that produced the 1964 Alaska quake and the Southeast Asia tsunami that killed more than 176,000 last year

:chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

I always heard as a child that a tsunami could take down cali, i hope not, its awful frightening those tsunamis are BAD!! I live in Maryland so i am not out west but its awful scary....They have enough earthquakes and fires....Are they predicting a tsunami???

We had a Tsunami warning earlier this year. It was pretty frightening actually.
Cali doesn't even have a decent earthquake plan let alone a Tsunami plan!

JBean said:
We had a Tsunami warning earlier this year. It was pretty frightening actually.
Cali doesn't even have a decent earthquake plan let alone a Tsunami plan!

I think the plan is to bend over and kiss your butt goodbye! :doh: :doh:

Jeana (DP) said:
That's the one. Works every time.

And the chances of this happening?????

poco said:
And the chances of this happening?????
80 minor tsunamis in the last century, sooo....who knows when a big one could hit? :waitasec: It sounds like the fault off the coast would play a role.

Well it was announced today that my town of Dana Point is the ONE and ONLY So Cal city that has a tsunami plan in place. :D

Now if they would just tell me what it is....

http://www.nbc4.tv/newslinks/5470418/detail.html

Dana Point Tsunami Plan

As Seen On Today In LA

ANCHOR: The city of Dana Point has become the first city in Southern California to be declared "tsunami-ready" by the National Weather Service. What exactly have officials in that harbor city done to earn that distinction? Kelly Mack found out.

Do I need a plan if I live in Marin? Tsunami isn't going to make it over those mountains...

And what happens to the Bay in that situation?

Jeana (DP) said:

naaaa it's a lot more scientific than that...

we're all to mount Surfboards on the roofs of our cars and in case of Tsunami hop in our cars and hang on...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back