851 users online (110 members and 741 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Los Angeles Co, WhtFem UP3496, 45-55, struck by car, ring written Ariel, Aug'96

Namus UP 3496

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/3496

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Female)
    Found August 11, 1996 in Los Angeles County, CA
    Body Condition: Recognizable face
    Probable year of death: 1996 to 1996

Vital Statistics
    Estimated age: 45-55
    Approximate Height: 51 estimate
    Approximate Weight: 118 estimate
    Hair Color: Brown but Graying
    Eye Color: Blue
    Scars and marks: Large mole above right eye and on left thigh. Several scars on left arm.

Clothing & Accessories
    Clothing: nothing
    Jewerly: Yellow metal ring with two clear stones, and Ariel 4/28/84 inscription. Yellow metal ring with happy and sad face mask designs (drama characters).
    Footwear: nothing
    Accessories: nothing

Identifiers
    Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is available and entered
    Dentals: Dental information / charting is available and entered
    DNA: Sample is currently not available

Case History
    Pedestrian struck by car; died at hospital on 8/12/96
    Look at my profile you will find cases of unidentified people new to you! Ivan

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/mem...158875-Romulus

I found an Ariel that passed away on 4/28/84, would you engrave the date someone died on a ring? Maybe if they passed it on to you? I would think date of birth would be better than date of death.

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/loca.../mb.ashx?pnt=1

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone144 View Post
    I found an Ariel that passed away on 4/28/84, would you engrave the date someone died on a ring? Maybe if they passed it on to you? I would think date of birth would be better than date of death.

I guess if she did it to memorialize them? Seems unusual but I could see myself doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone144 View Post

that seems like a pretty good lead. i would pass that on.

There is an Ariel T. listed in Ancestry, who was born in in Harris County Texas on that date.

There is also a Cathern Ariel E., born on that date in Riverside County California.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    There is an Ariel T. listed in Ancestry, who was born in in Harris County Texas on that date.

There is also a Cathern Ariel E., born on that date in Riverside County California.
    I found Ariel T's facebook page, and sent him a private message.

Is Cathern her last name Carl? There is a Ariel Cathern on fb but shows from SD.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    Is Cathern her last name Carl? There is a Ariel Cathern on fb but shows from SD.
    No, Cathern is her first name, and by all indications, that is the name she goes by - not her middle name Ariel.

No, Cathern is her first name, and by all indications, that is the name she goes by - not her middle name Ariel.
    The one you found on fb sounds more possible then IMO. The ring was engraved Ariel so I would assume that she would have used the first name for engraving if it signified the birth of a child and birthdate.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Was anyone able to find any marriage records involving the name "Ariel" and the date 4/28/84?

FWIW Ariel is a common name in Mexico. I thought she might have named one of her kids Ariel & the date on the ring was a birth date.

& Side note there are a lot of normal pedestrians in LA- there's a stereotype of people hating public transit or walking anywhere in LA but people do it.
    L'chaim!

One thing to note that americans might not have noticed - the M/D/Y date format is almost exclusive to the US as the main date format. Perhaps the woman has Mexican or other national ties, but I believe this indicates the ring was made in the US, and the woman was comfortable enough with that date format to choose it in a setting she felt was personally important.

Quote Originally Posted by Jems View Post
    One thing to note that americans might not have noticed - the M/D/Y date format is almost exclusive to the US as the main date format. Perhaps the woman has Mexican or other national ties, but I believe this indicates the ring was made in the US, and the woman was comfortable enough with that date format to choose it in a setting she felt was personally important.
    I was thinking because the ring has two clear stones, that maybe those clear stones would signify the birth stone for the month of April, which is a "diamond".
    That said, the date being in April as well, could be a Mother's Ring, maybe?

IMOO.