License plate for W.Va. sex offenders proposed

Shadow205

Reaction score
Published: December 11, 2005 10:54 pm

Mannix Porterfield
Register-Herald Reporter

CHARLESTON — Hoping to impose the “scarlet letter” stigma of literary fame on sex offenders, a state senator called Sunday for a special license plate that clearly labels such criminals in West Virginia.

Sen. J. Frank Deem, R-Wood, told fellow members of Judiciary Subcommittee C a license plate would provide an instant recognition of a driver’s status as a convicted offender.

But Wood got not support when he asked Teresa McCourt, deputy director of programs for the state Division of Corrections, about his idea.

“I suggest a license plate to identify these people,” Wood said, emphasizing that some names don’t appear on the official registry kept by the state police and others are difficult to track down.

McCourt, however, declined to answer Deem’s inquiry about the value of such an identification system, since her remarks were limited to policy in current practice by the DOC.

McCourt explained a sophisticated supervision program but cautioned that sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated since the propensity for deviancy is always prevalent.

“They can’t be cured,” she said. “It’s like an alcoholic or a drug addict.”

What’s more, while offenders once could be placed in specific categories without any departure, some are moving from one arena of victims to another, she said.

“They may be offending adult women now,” she said. “Five years ago, they were offending against children. They’re crossing all those barriers.” more at the link http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_345225443.html

What a wonderful idea! Every state should do it!

While the theory sounds good, it wouldn't do any good at all. They could always drive a borrowed car. Or someone could play a prank on someone by placing stolen sex offender license plates on a totally innocent person's car. Just too many holes in this.

Shadow205 said:
Published: December 11, 2005 10:54 pm

“I suggest a license plate to identify these people,” Wood said, emphasizing that some names don’t appear on the official registry kept by the state police and others are difficult to track down.

“They can’t be cured,” she said. “It’s like an alcoholic or a drug addict.”

What’s more, while offenders once could be placed in specific categories without any departure, some are moving from one arena of victims to another, she said.

“They may be offending adult women now,” she said. “Five years ago, they were offending against children. They’re crossing all those barriers.” more at the link http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_345225443.html

http://www.projectorn.com/id2.html

:clap: :woohoo: :clap:

I don't think it would do much good, but I also don't see that it would do much harm. I think anything and everything they can implement should be done. I did get a chuckle out of this part of the article though:

Deem suggested some salacious material seen on television could be exciting some to offend, such as Howard Stern’s controversial program, but McCourt said even news photographs can be “triggers.”

“Sex offenders have a lot of different triggers,” the DOC official said.

“It may be something off the wall as a billboard, or a tree.”

I don't think they need any sort of "trigger." I think they'll do what's in their nature to do until they're stopped.

I'm surprised that you would say that Jeana...

How many children do we read about each year that were molested by a boyfriend of Mom's that was a registered sex offender. Mom never knew about it.

You bet Mom would be on her toes if her date pulled up with pink plates for their first date...

Jeana (DP) said:
Deem suggested some salacious material seen on television could be exciting some to offend, such as Howard Stern’s controversial program, but McCourt said even news photographs can be “triggers.”

“Sex offenders have a lot of different triggers,” the DOC official said.

“It may be something off the wall as a billboard, or a tree.”

I don't think they need any sort of "trigger." I think they'll do what's in their nature to do until they're stopped.

I read of one Pedophile that was caught with just a bunch of Sears Catalogs that had the children's underwear section wore out from all the times it was viewed...

Rocky said:
I'm surprised that you would say that Jeana...

How many children do we read about each year that were molested by a boyfriend of Mom's that was a registered sex offender. Mom never knew about it.

You bet Mom would be on her toes if her date pulled up with pink plates for their first date...

You may be right, but as someone else said, there's no guaranty that the perv would drive his own car. Like I said, it couldn't hurt, but I'd hate for officials to be lulled into any false sense of security.

Rocky said:
I read of one Pedophile that was caught with just a bunch of Sears Catalogs that had the children's underwear section wore out from all the times it was viewed...

I'm officially grossed out now Rocky. :doh: :doh:

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm officially grossed out now Rocky. :doh: :doh:

didn't mean to gross you out, but it's a fact that things we glance at without a thought mean a lot more to a twisted mind...

Rocky said:
didn't mean to gross you out, but it's a fact that things we glance at without a thought mean a lot more to a twisted mind...

Absolutely. I wouldn't allow one of my children to model underwear or a bathing suit for that matter.

Jeana (DP) said:
You may be right, but as someone else said, there's no guaranty that the perv would drive his own car. Like I said, it couldn't hurt, but I'd hate for officials to be lulled into any false sense of security.

but sooner or later, mom would look at the car in his garage and see what the plates say, I'd hate to think of the alternative, where something had to happen causing a suspicion before she would go look up her date on a website...

Rocky said:
but sooner or later, mom would look at the car in his garage and see what the plates say, I'd hate to think of the alternative, where something had to happen causing a suspicion before she would go look up her date on a website...

I think that anything that CAN be done to bring attention to these guys is a good thing. If it prevents one child from being molested, its a good thing. I just see too many things that can go wrong for this to be relied on as a cure all.

It helps - might make some people more aware of who is living by them, who they are dating... and if they steal a car, that's an easier crime to catch someone at - put them in jail for that will be just fine - I just want them in jail, however it happens.

oh my god! if you were a sex offender & had to have a plate like that, wouldn't you just not bother driving at all?? why would you wanna go out there and risk being shot on the road??

There'd be more of the plates than you might guess. Best to have it out and in public.

Details said:
It helps - might make some people more aware of who is living by them, who they are dating... and if they steal a car, that's an easier crime to catch someone at - put them in jail for that will be just fine - I just want them in jail, however it happens.

I'm curious, if a Pedovile is thrown in Prison for an unrelated crime like auto theft, does he get seperated from the other prisoners, or tossed in the middle to serve his crime?

reb said:
oh my god! if you were a sex offender & had to have a plate like that, wouldn't you just not bother driving at all?? why would you wanna go out there and risk being shot on the road??

aww bummer... :bang:

I guess it would be pretty hard to kidnap a kid on a Bicycle... :loser:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288