Gov. Blanco also worried about her wardrobe/image during Katrina crisis!

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(AP) *snippet* Aides also had concerns about Blanco's physical appearance and discussed ways to make her look strong but compassionate. Their ideas, according to the e-mails, included having Blanco "put a few bags of ice in the hands of the citizens who need it" and stop "doing too many 'first lady' things."

"Gov. Blanco might dress down a bit and look like she has rolled up her sleeves," press consultant Kim Fuller of Witt Associates wrote in a Sept. 4 e-mail to aides including Bottcher, Mann and Kopplin. "I have some great Liz Claiborne sports clothes that look kind of Eddie Bauer, but with class, but would bring her down to level of getting to work."

"She would look like a woman, but show she is MOVING MOUNTAINS," Fuller wrote.

Former Federal Emergency Management Agency director Michael Brown also was criticized for e-mails that showed him discussing his wardrobe during the crisis created by Katrina. Brown resigned amid questions about his disaster management experience.

Entire article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051212/ap_on_re_us/katrina_documents_1;

DK note: What is it with these people???? Liberal or conservative, both sides worry more about their image than real people's problems! I always knew that was often true on a smaller level, but cannot believe it still happened during such a catastrophic event. Blanco should be held accountable for this just as much as Brown was. :furious:

That is just atrocious. DK. Talk about having priorities.

Casshew said:
I know! Plus the "having her put a few bags of ice in people's hands who need it" is just abhorable!!!!!! Yeah, screw leadership, let's do a photo op! :furious:

For my money, she should have been dressed in old blue jeans, a T-Shirt and sneakers. That shows some serious concern to me. But, let me finish......she should have been wearing the above while in the trenches and doing more than handing out a few bags of ice.

LOL, I'm wearing my favorite jeans, a long sleeve cotton knit shirt, and over the shirt a blue jean shirt with sparkly horse scenes. I have on my Disney "Tigger" socks and clean New-Balance sneakers. I am at work!!!!!!

PS in this town, if you really dress up for work, someone always asks whose funeral they missed......

As long as my hair looks good ok.. lets get priorities straight here.. :crazy:

This is all kind of bringing it home for me. Over the Thanksgiving Holidays I spent it with my daughter and my ex ,her father.It was actually very informative and healing in a lot of ways. But, the subject of Kathleen came up. I was trying to be politically correct and my ex jumped in where I always would have thought he would be defensive...we are both from New Iberia, La. the home of Kathleen Blanco.

We talked about her brothers and such and he said the exact same thing I posted a while ago....she is not the governor Ray Blanco is. He is pulling the strings. Ray didn't figure the clothes would be importent. Ray didn't figure on a lot of things. His back street tactics aren't working and neither is Kathleen. In the interim, the state is disentegrating. So many not working towards the ultimate resolution. And, no, I am not interested in fighting this battle.

Of course she did!!

That women needs to never be held responsible for the public again.

My favorite part of what was revealed in the documents is....the FEMA czar Chertoff (sp?) was trying to call Blanco in the hours following the storm at about 2 p.m. and she was AT HOME NAPPING.

She might as well just stay in her pajamas and a bathrobe if you ask me. Proper attire for being asleep at the wheel.

concernedperson said:
This is all kind of bringing it home for me. Over the Thanksgiving Holidays I spent it with my daughter and my ex ,her father.It was actually very informative and healing in a lot of ways. But, the subject of Kathleen came up. I was trying to be politically correct and my ex jumped in where I always would have thought he would be defensive...we are both from New Iberia, La. the home of Kathleen Blanco.

We talked about her brothers and such and he said the exact same thing I posted a while ago....she is not the governor Ray Blanco is. He is pulling the strings. Ray didn't figure the clothes would be importent. Ray didn't figure on a lot of things. His back street tactics aren't working and neither is Kathleen. In the interim, the state is disentegrating. So many not working towards the ultimate resolution. And, no, I am not interested in fighting this battle.

You know what is really funny? Nothing she has done since Katrina has been on the up & up. She wanted to give millions of dollars toi the NO school district, and it has 123 students left. She did NOT want to give money to the school districts that absorbed the evacuees.

Everyone over here knows you are absolutely correct, concerned. Ray is the "real" governor and Kathleen is the "front" for him. But neither one of them is doing a good job right now.

The photo ops in the local papers have been all "good" but no one that I can find is still her supporter. Everyone is walking around in a daze over here, no one can believe that so much can go wrong at one time.

ASIDE: The Cajun dome just received some FEMA money, much less than they expected. Evacuees flushed t-shirts, coke cans and other items down the toilets, so the whole sewer system is in need of repair. But it will have to wait for more urgent things to be repaired.

civilatty said:
My favorite part of what was revealed in the documents is....the FEMA czar Chertoff (sp?) was trying to call Blanco in the hours following the storm at about 2 p.m. and she was AT HOME NAPPING.

She might as well just stay in her pajamas and a bathrobe if you ask me. Proper attire for being asleep at the wheel.

"Wow" may seem an understatement...but no, really...I mean it, "Wow." I am still amazed at how so many of elected officials handled themselves during the fiasco.

How is it in your local area now?

My friends are going to a horse show in West Monroe at the end of December...was it affected much? We used to go to a show in Baton Rouge, but they've now moved it to W. Monroe.

kgeaux said:
You know what is really funny? Nothing she has done since Katrina has been on the up & up. She wanted to give millions of dollars toi the NO school district, and it has 123 students left. She did NOT want to give money to the school districts that absorbed the evacuees.

Everyone over here knows you are absolutely correct, concerned. Ray is the "real" governor and Kathleen is the "front" for him. But neither one of them is doing a good job right now.

The photo ops in the local papers have been all "good" but no one that I can find is still her supporter. Everyone is walking around in a daze over here, no one can believe that so much can go wrong at one time.

ASIDE: The Cajun dome just received some FEMA money, much less than they expected. Evacuees flushed t-shirts, coke cans and other items down the toilets, so the whole sewer system is in need of repair. But it will have to wait for more urgent things to be repaired.

You know if I can help, I will. Mike Neustrom is a friend of mine and we can rally a bunch of us from New Iberia. Some of us he can't deny....we go back a long way. Some of this cannot be denied.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
How is it in your local area now?

My friends are going to a horse show in West Monroe at the end of December...was it affected much? We used to go to a show in Baton Rouge, but they've now moved it to W. Monroe.

I live about 60 miles from Monroe/West Monroe and, Civilatty is correct, all is okay in that city. I make the trip there once or twice a week and my husband goes in daily.

Casshew said:

Or, rather, NOT having priorities. All the designer clothes in the world wouldn't make her look good after the way she screwed up!

WISCer said:
I live about 60 miles from Monroe/West Monroe and, Civilatty is correct, all is okay in that city. I make the trip there once or twice a week and my husband goes in daily.

Dang, you guys are awesome! And I should also say that I am glad that the area is okay for the people that live there!

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Dang, you guys are awesome! And I should also say that I am glad that the area is okay for the people that live there!

But most of the state is not OK. It is pretty deplorable like lots of DNA that has not been identified. So many bodies and no answers. So many homes destroyed and no flood insurance. There is no shining light here. It is still devastation...just check CNN who IMO is really covering this. I want it to be rosy but it isn't. Just think what you want but it isn't a reality. This is a natural happening that has overreaching conditions and the conditions are devastating. No matter how far reaching the politicos are it affects the average person. This is where the line are going to be drawn. Someone is going to suffer and I think it is political now.

concernedperson said:
But most of the state is not OK. It is pretty deplorable like lots of DNA that has not been identified. So many bodies and no answers. So many homes destroyed and no flood insurance. There is no shining light here. It is still devastation...just check CNN who IMO is really covering this. I want it to be rosy but it isn't. Just think what you want but it isn't a reality. This is a natural happening that has overreaching conditions and the conditions are devastating. No matter how far reaching the politicos are it affects the average person. This is where the line are going to be drawn. Someone is going to suffer and I think it is political now.
To Blanco, it was political from the beginning. I listened to her radio interviews/news conferences, and she tried to deflect all criticism. She accepted very little, if any. Her need to be viewed as a good Governor was more important than the needs of the people of her State. She indeed had her priorities mixed up, and people suffered because of it.

Toby said:
To Blanco, it was political from the beginning. I listened to her radio interviews/news conferences, and she tried to deflect all criticism. She accepted very little, if any. Her need to be viewed as a good Governor was more important than the needs of the people of her State. She indeed had her priorities mixed up, and people suffered because of it.

I agree. I have more empathy than she does. And I don't live there. My ex and myself have had to seek therapy over the devastation. So painful. I love the people and I don't understand why a political agenda is more importent. You know what...Ray Blanco can suck an egg. I am tired of him being in my life no matter how unimportent he is being portrayed. I think he is a manipulator and I am not about recognizing him any more. He is evil and he has caused a lot of evil. Kathleen doesn't have guts to open.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back