911 users online (104 members and 807 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    los2188's Avatar
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    From Alaska, but living in Arizona
    Posts
    15,553

    ME - Tom Johnston, 46, Old Orchard Beach, 2 April 2017

    Police looking for missing WCSH meteorologist

    Old Orchard Beach police are trying to locate local meteorologist Tom Johnston, who was reported missing Monday.
    Johnston, a meteorologist with WCSH-6 in Portland, was reported missing after he failed to return from an event in
    the Sunday River area Saturday, said Detective Sgt. David Hemingway of the Old Orchard Beach Police Department.
    http://www.pressherald.com/2017/04/0...meteorologist/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

    "When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,140
    He attended an event at Sunday River resort, which is a 2 hour drive from his home in OOB.

    Looks like there was some fog and light snow Saturday in nearby Bethel, but no storm conditions for his drive back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,845
    O my goodness! I didn't know our local weather guy was missing!
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    by the sea
    Posts
    543
    Very strange. Sure hope he just needs time to himself and is not off the road somewhere.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Very strange. Sure hope he just needs time to himself and is not off the road somewhere.
    I guess it would depend on which route he took. It's very rural in that area.
    The article stated they were retracing his steps, so hopefully they'll find him.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern NE
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Very strange. Sure hope he just needs time to himself and is not off the road somewhere.
    Agreed! His employer ( the NBC affiliate in Portland) originally said they had no comment because it was a :"personal matter." To me, this made it sound like they had been in contact with him and he was okay. They later came out and said they were cooperating with the police and they had not heard from him.

    He has a new baby. Fingers crossed he just needed to get away.

  7. #7
    He was at Sunday River on Saturday to MC a ParrotHead Spring Ski party. Apparently this was sanctioned or tied in with the station because he broadcast from there. In the video, he mentions the camera man John. Did John drive separately? When did John leave and/or last see Tom?

    His final broadcast from this Spring Ski event was recorded for the 6 pm news, I believe. The video of it is in this news story put up by the news station he works for: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/tom-...gist/429279198

    I mainly watch Tom on his FB Live weather forecasts. I am not much of a TV watcher. I found his behavior in this final video where he wears sunglasses the entire time to be a little weird. Is he under the influence of something? On FB Live, he does not act quite like this. In this, he seems to pace towards the camera and was rambling a bit. Plus the sunglasses...on a wintry day with no sun...just seems weird.

    Something else, it said he checked out of his hotel at Sunday River at 1:30 pm on Sunday. This would be a very late check out time for a hotel. Max is usually noon. Did he have the room booked until Monday and he decided to leave early, or was he a late check out? If so, why?

    Hope he is found safe.
    Last edited by jantour; 04-06-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: found name of camera man
    Using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,845
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,845
    Description and plate number for his car:
    He was driving a gray 2017 Subaru Forester with Maine plates, 3106VT
    http://fox61.com/2017/04/06/police-s...meteorologist/
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Northern NE
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by jantour View Post

    His final broadcast from this Spring Ski event was recorded for the 6 pm news, I believe. The video of it is in this news story put up by the news station he works for: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/tom-...gist/429279198

    I mainly watch Tom on his FB Live weather forecasts. I am not much of a TV watcher. I found his behavior in this final video where he wears sunglasses the entire time to be a little weird. Is he under the influence of something? On FB Live, he does not act quite like this. In this, he seems to pace towards the camera and was rambling a bit. Plus the sunglasses...on a wintry day with no sun...just seems weird. .
    I saw that broadcast Sat night and had the opposite reaction at the time: I thought he seemed really jazzed and happy to get some good spring skiing in. He has seemed stressed on the 6:00 news lately so it was nice to see him relaxed and happy.

    As for the late check-out, I think he was a guest of the resort as the MC so they probably let him stay late as a courtesy so he could get in some extra runs before he headed to OOB. They probably didn't have a whole lot of guests waiting to check in on Sunday.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by femalejogger View Post
    I saw that broadcast Sat night and had the opposite reaction at the time: I thought he seemed really jazzed and happy to get some good spring skiing in. He has seemed stressed on the 6:00 news lately so it was nice to see him relaxed and happy.

    As for the late check-out, I think he was a guest of the resort as the MC so they probably let him stay late as a courtesy so he could get in some extra runs before he headed to OOB. They probably didn't have a whole lot of guests waiting to check in on Sunday.
    Both good points. I might be interpreting that Saturday night video negatively in light that he's missing. The sunglasses are still throwing me though.

    I checked his public Tom Johnston Meteorologist FB page. His MO seems to be to basically like all comments that people make on his posts very shortly after they're made. He posted on April 1 about the storm and was liking comments until approx. 4:30 pm on Saturday. There were more comments made on that post on Saturday and through Sunday, but no more like clicks from Tom. This is also a bit off from his normal FB behavior imo.
    Using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    276
    Tom Johnston worked at a Jacksonville Florida station at one time as well. Heard about this in Jax today.
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/former-...ported-missing

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,845
    This is so, so sad. My heart goes out to his family.
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,845
    A poignant and bittersweet farewell from Tom's coworkers:
    http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/sayi...o-tj/429447978
    All you need is love and. . . .(fill in the blank)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. ME ME - Susan Hannah, 22, Old Orchard Beach, 19 April 1992
    By OkieGranny in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2016, 06:18 PM
  2. Found Safe NY - Shania Suffoletto, 16, Orchard Park, 1 April 2016
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2016, 07:38 AM
  3. WA WA - Alexis Owens, 16, Port Orchard, 15 April 1987
    By DayLea in forum 1980's Missing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 02:23 PM
  4. Found Safe CA - Nicholas Johnston, 12, Long Beach, 6 March 2014
    By sherbetjello in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 01:23 AM
  5. OR OR - Candy Lemay, 45, Old Orchard Beach, July 2007
    By PrayersForMaura in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 03:34 AM