Found Deceased ME - Tom Johnston, 46, Old Orchard Beach, 2 April 2017

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Police looking for missing WCSH meteorologist
786619_375559-20160119_weather_003.jpg

Old Orchard Beach police are trying to locate local meteorologist Tom Johnston, who was reported missing Monday.
Johnston, a meteorologist with WCSH-6 in Portland, was reported missing after he failed to return from an event in
the Sunday River area Saturday, said Detective Sgt. David Hemingway of the Old Orchard Beach Police Department.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/04/06/oob-police-looking-for-missing-meteorologist/

He attended an event at Sunday River resort, which is a 2 hour drive from his home in OOB.

Looks like there was some fog and light snow Saturday in nearby Bethel, but no storm conditions for his drive back.

O my goodness! I didn't know our local weather guy was missing!

Very strange. Sure hope he just needs time to himself and is not off the road somewhere.

Very strange. Sure hope he just needs time to himself and is not off the road somewhere.

I guess it would depend on which route he took. It's very rural in that area.
The article stated they were retracing his steps, so hopefully they'll find him.

Agreed! His employer ( the NBC affiliate in Portland) originally said they had no comment because it was a :"personal matter." To me, this made it sound like they had been in contact with him and he was okay. They later came out and said they were cooperating with the police and they had not heard from him.

He has a new baby. Fingers crossed he just needed to get away.

He was at Sunday River on Saturday to MC a ParrotHead Spring Ski party. Apparently this was sanctioned or tied in with the station because he broadcast from there. In the video, he mentions the camera man John. Did John drive separately? When did John leave and/or last see Tom?

His final broadcast from this Spring Ski event was recorded for the 6 pm news, I believe. The video of it is in this news story put up by the news station he works for: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/tom-johnston-news-center-meteorologist/429279198

I mainly watch Tom on his FB Live weather forecasts. I am not much of a TV watcher. I found his behavior in this final video where he wears sunglasses the entire time to be a little weird. Is he under the influence of something? On FB Live, he does not act quite like this. In this, he seems to pace towards the camera and was rambling a bit. Plus the sunglasses...on a wintry day with no sun...just seems weird.

Something else, it said he checked out of his hotel at Sunday River at 1:30 pm on Sunday. This would be a very late check out time for a hotel. Max is usually noon. Did he have the room booked until Monday and he decided to leave early, or was he a late check out? If so, why?

Hope he is found safe.

His final broadcast from this Spring Ski event was recorded for the 6 pm news, I believe. The video of it is in this news story put up by the news station he works for: http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/tom-johnston-news-center-meteorologist/429279198

I mainly watch Tom on his FB Live weather forecasts. I am not much of a TV watcher. I found his behavior in this final video where he wears sunglasses the entire time to be a little weird. Is he under the influence of something? On FB Live, he does not act quite like this. In this, he seems to pace towards the camera and was rambling a bit. Plus the sunglasses...on a wintry day with no sun...just seems weird. .

I saw that broadcast Sat night and had the opposite reaction at the time: I thought he seemed really jazzed and happy to get some good spring skiing in. He has seemed stressed on the 6:00 news lately so it was nice to see him relaxed and happy.

As for the late check-out, I think he was a guest of the resort as the MC so they probably let him stay late as a courtesy so he could get in some extra runs before he headed to OOB. They probably didn't have a whole lot of guests waiting to check in on Sunday.

I saw that broadcast Sat night and had the opposite reaction at the time: I thought he seemed really jazzed and happy to get some good spring skiing in. He has seemed stressed on the 6:00 news lately so it was nice to see him relaxed and happy.

As for the late check-out, I think he was a guest of the resort as the MC so they probably let him stay late as a courtesy so he could get in some extra runs before he headed to OOB. They probably didn't have a whole lot of guests waiting to check in on Sunday.

Both good points. I might be interpreting that Saturday night video negatively in light that he's missing. The sunglasses are still throwing me though.

I checked his public Tom Johnston Meteorologist FB page. His MO seems to be to basically like all comments that people make on his posts very shortly after they're made. He posted on April 1 about the storm and was liking comments until approx. 4:30 pm on Saturday. There were more comments made on that post on Saturday and through Sunday, but no more like clicks from Tom. This is also a bit off from his normal FB behavior imo.

This is so, so sad. My heart goes out to his family.

Any word on the manner of suicide? Or if that has actually confirmed? He was such an upbeat, bright and witty broadcaster here in JAX. Really liked him a lot.

If they release that information to the public, it will most likely be when the finish the autopsy. Out of respect for his family and friends, I hope they'll wait respectable amount of time if they do.

Looks like according to local reports available yesterday, I was right. There was more to this story after all.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20
Back