1251 users online (209 members and 1042 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2017.04.06 - United States fires attack on Syria

National Security
    U.S. strikes Syrian military airfield in first direct assault on Bashar al-Assad’s government
    By Dan Lamothe, Missy Ryan and Thomas Gibbons-Neff April 6 at 9:38 PM

The U.S. military launched approximately 50 cruise missiles at a Syrian military airfield late on Thursday, in the first direct American assault on the government of President Bashar al-Assad since that country’s civil war began six years ago.

The operation, which the Trump administration authorized in retaliation for a chemical attack killing scores of civilians this week, dramatically expands U.S. military involvement in Syria and exposes the United States to heightened risk of direct confrontation with Russia and Iran, both backing Assad in his attempt to crush his opposition.

cont. at the link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.033616cf058d
    Last edited by bessie; 04-19-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Oh dear

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I wonder what the strategy will be. Congress has avoided this issue for a long time. I pray no innocent Syrians have been killed. God bless the innocent Syrians.

[...]

The Pentagon worries that U.S. service members — including the roughly 500 Special Operations personnel offering "support" and "training" for campaigns, including the current operation to oust the terror group ISIS from Raqqa — as well as others in the region could become targets in retaliation for any possible American military action.

The U.S. military is also mindful of Syrian air defenses' capability to take down a manned aircraft.

Syrian fixed-wing aircraft dropped chemical weapons on civilians in Idlib earlier this week, two U.S. military officials told NBC News.

The U.S. military saw the aircraft on a radar and watched them drop the bombs, the officials said. The radar soon picked up the flashes and booms in the rebel-held area of Syria.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/syr...ilians-n743431
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Dozens of U.S. Missiles Hit Air Base in Syria

[...]

By MICHAEL R. GORDON, HELENE COOPER and MICHAEL D. SHEAR
    April 6, 2017

WASHINGTON — The United States carried out a missile attack in Syria on Thursday night in response to the Syrian government’s chemical weapons attack this week that killed more than 80 civilians, American officials said.

A senior military official said that 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles had hit al Shayrat airfield in Syria. The missiles were aimed at Syrian fighter jets and other infrastructure, but did not target anything that may have had chemical weapons.

He said that no Russian planes were at the airfield, and that the cruise missiles did not target any Russian facilities.

The Pentagon informed the Russian military officials, through its established deconfliction channel, of the strike before the launching of the missiles, the official said, knowing when they did that that Russian authorities may well have alerted the Assad regime. “With a lot of Tomahawks flying, we didn’t want to hit any Russian planes,” he said.

The cruise missiles struck the airfield beginning around 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time on Thursday, and the strikes continued for three to four minutes.

cont. at the link

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/0...al-attack.html
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I support this action but understand and appreciate the grave concern people have. The world can't stand by and allow the chemical weapons atrocities in Syria any more in my opinion.
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

I would love to know the strategy. Unfortunately this kind of thing has been happening for many years. I pray (and hope against all hope) that a longer term strategy is in place and will be approved by congress, as now we have done an action that could be interpreted as an act of war. Oy Vey.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregjrichards View Post
    I support this action but understand and appreciate the grave concern people have. The world can't stand by and allow the chemical weapons atrocities in Syria any more in my opinion.
    Last edited by kaen; 04-06-2017 at 10:32 PM.

My great nephew is in training to be a Ranger. I too support this, so please don't stone me with tomatoes. JMO.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    My great nephew is in training to be a Ranger. I too support this, so please don't stone me with tomatoes. JMO.

No tomatoes from me but I will admit I'm concerned. IMHO, Trump looked shook to his core which is understandable. It was how scared he looked (imho) that bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    I would love to know the strategy. Unfortunately this kind of thing has been happening for many years. I pray (and hope against all hope) that a longer term strategy is in place and will be approved by congress, as now we have done an action that could be interpreted as an act of war. Oy Vey.
    No win situation. Sadly, sitting back & doing nothing while watching atrocities is not a great strategy and has been ongoing.
    Prayers.

All moo
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

<modsnip>

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/w...tack.html?_r=0

Witnesses to the attack said it began before 7 a.m. Numerous photographs and graphic videos posted online by activists and residents showed children and older adults gasping and struggling to breathe, or lying motionless in the mud as rescue workers ripped off victims’ clothes and hosed them down. The bodies of at least 10 children lay lined up on the ground or under a quilt.
    Last edited by beach; 04-07-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: removed quoted post and reference to same

Seriously horrendous, these poor babies

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/04/timeline-assad-chemical-weapons-civilians]

Yesterday, disturbing photos and videos (warning: they're graphic) started coming out of the town of Khan Sheikoun in rebel-held IdlibProvince: children in spasms, foaming at their mouths, gasping for breath, and lying motionless as parents cry over them and rescue teams attempt to wash chemical agents from their bodies. According to the Syrian American Medical Society and various monitoring groups, barrel bombs were dropped on civilian areas, reportedly killing at least 74 people, including at least 11 children, and injuring hundreds more. The bombs contained toxic chemical agents, likely including sarin—a liquid nerve agent that often causes death by asphyxia.

Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post
    Exactly why the attack was, imho, completely justified.
    Politics aside: The USA can NOT sit back and idle while we watch such atrocities happen to the innocent.
    Beautiful babies suffered with the chemical attack. It might have kept happening if we hadn't jumped in.
    Proud to be an American right now

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    No tomatoes from me but I will admit I'm concerned. IMHO, Trump looked shook to his core which is understandable. It was how scared he looked (imho) that bothered me.
    No tomatoes from me either. It's a bold move. IMO it's the right move, but at the same time I have to admit it that it makes me uneasy & concerned. I think anyone who makes a decision of this magnitude (including the President of the US) should be shook to their core. This is big time and should not be taken lightly. I'll be keeping everyone involved close to my heart and praying for positive outcomes, unity and peace.

<modsnip>
    (quote)
    Tillerson: 'no change' in US policy on Syria

Secretary of state Rex Tillerson has insisted that the missile strikes – despite the sharp shift they represent from the previous stance taken by the Trump administration – are not in fact a change in US policy towards Syria:

This clearly indicates the president is willing to take decisive action when called for.

I would not in any way attempt to extrapolate that to a change in our policy or posture relative to our military activities in Syria today. There has been no change in that status.

I think it does demonstrate that President Trump is willing to act when governments and actors cross the line and cross the line on violating commitments they’ve made and cross the line in the most heinous of ways.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-pentagon-live
    Last edited by beach; 04-07-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: removed commentary
    *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*
    Justice for an innocent man.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast