1046 users online (152 members and 894 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

11-Year-Old Boy Kills Himself Following Social Media Prank

From People Magazine:

"Police say criminal charges have been brought against a juvenile in Michigan after an 11-year-old boy killed himself following what the boy’s mother claims was a social media prank."

http://people.com/crime/michigan-boy...l-media-prank/

This is beyond sad.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

I really despise pranks.
    This is horrible.

Moo
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mom-says...-sons-suicide/

The Marquette Police Department confirmed there was an ongoing investigation into Benz’s death. However, any criminal charges would come through the Marquette County Prosecutor’s Office.

A spokesman for the prosecutor’s office told CBS News they could not provide any further comments on the case at this time.
    Public radio station WNMU-FM reports the Marquette County Prosecutor’s Office authorized charges for the juvenile suspect of malicious use of telecommunication services and using a computer to commit a crime.
    http://wnmufm.org/post/charges-broug...-case#stream/0

Police say through investigation they learned the boy was communicating with another juvenile via social media prior to the incident. The Marquette County Prosecutor’s Office has authorized charges of malicious use of telecommunication services and using a computer to commit a crime for that juvenile.
    Color me confused. Was the girl trying to make the boy kill himself? Or, was it joke/prank not directed at him?

Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mom-says...-sons-suicide/

http://wnmufm.org/post/charges-broug...-case#stream/0

Color me confused. Was the girl trying to make the boy kill himself? Or, was it joke/prank not directed at him?
    Quoting myself--so he was pranked via social media by a group and one of those has been charged. Very mixed feelings for me. We see more and more times charges being brought but where do we draw the line? moo

So he killed his self because he thought she killed her self first. How very Romeo and Juliet. If Juliet had woken up and said "psyche!!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    Quoting myself--so he was pranked via social media by a group and one of those has been charged. Very mixed feelings for me. We see more and more times charges being brought but where do we draw the line? moo
    Don't even get me started on bringing criminal charges on juveniles.

This story is so sad.
    Letters from Prison

https://lettersfromprisonsite.wordpress.com

This site is in remembrance of a dear friend that was incarcerated at the age of 16. Serving three consecutive life sentences with no chance of parole led him to suicide at the age of 25. These are excerpts from his letters during the last four years of his life, the end of 2012 to the beginning of 2017. Four days before his suicide, I received these chilling last words. "I will try to get a medication change soon. I do not think my current meds are working. At least that seems to be the case."

I have no words... except how tragic this is
    JMO

#BRINGMIKEVANZANDTHOME

IDK if anyone else thought it odd, but I was shocked at an 11-year-old boy having a 13-year-old GF. Was she really just a friend or did they actually "date" so to speak? I guess it's the latter since he was heartbroken enough to feel he couldn't live without her.

At that age, a 2-year difference seems like a lot. But, 11 is the age at which many children begin taking an interest in the opposite sex. Maybe it just seems odd to me because my elementary school went through 6th grade, so the oldest kids in school were 11-12. But, I wonder if the girl wasn't as serious about the relationship as the boy. He may have been infatuated with her, while she was just being flirty and was probably flattered at the attention.

I think that's exactly what led to this--the attention. The girl was willing to go to any length to get the boy's attention. I doubt she even foresaw the possible consequences. Certainly not that the boy would take it so hard. Many children lose a close friend or relative and it doesn't lead them to taking their lives. So, I'm not sure I know how to feel about this. Yes, the girl was toying with the boy's feelings, but the result wasn't what she intended. Social media made it easy to take a "practical" joke to an extreme. That's why it's so important for parents to know what is going on with their children on SM.

Not trying to judge, just trying to reflect on how this could happen and how it might be prevented from happening to anyone else. MOO
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

This is heartbreaking as a mother to two young boys.

I also cannot truly fault the young lady involved in the issue. Children/preteens are notoriously hormonal and sensitive. They lack the ability to understand that such actions like pranks can have serious results, especially when it comes to something to completely tragic. Kids do dumb things. Unless she flat out told him to kill himself, I do not believe charges should be pressed. I am pretty sure she will live with the guilt of her actions for life.

This is coming from a bullied teen/preteen with major depression and self esteem issues. I deal with the depression to this very day, but as a younger person I was fought a lot of demons and had considered and attempted suicide.
    fighting for justice, hope and strength

Purchase an autographed copy of my friend, John DeSantis's book,
    "The Thibodaux Massacre"
    about the slaughter of innocent black
    sugar cane workers and their families

by law enforcement in 1887 by clicking here.

This country is so effed up! Can't believe a girl would do such a thing. Can't believe an 11 year old would react in such a way. Everything involving this is just so messed up.

Having a lot of trouble finding anyway to construe this girl's action as an honest prank. This was twisted and I think had to have been done with bad intentions. If this is true, this girl needs to experience the youth commission in that state and be more than publicly shamed. This was sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    IDK if anyone else thought it odd, but I was shocked at an 11-year-old boy having a 13-year-old GF. Was she really just a friend or did they actually "date" so to speak? I guess it's the latter since he was heartbroken enough to feel he couldn't live without her.

At that age, a 2-year difference seems like a lot. But, 11 is the age at which many children begin taking an interest in the opposite sex. Maybe it just seems odd to me because my elementary school went through 6th grade, so the oldest kids in school were 11-12. But, I wonder if the girl wasn't as serious about the relationship as the boy. He may have been infatuated with her, while she was just being flirty and was probably flattered at the attention.

I think that's exactly what led to this--the attention. The girl was willing to go to any length to get the boy's attention. I doubt she even foresaw the possible consequences. Certainly not that the boy would take it so hard. Many children lose a close friend or relative and it doesn't lead them to taking their lives. So, I'm not sure I know how to feel about this. Yes, the girl was toying with the boy's feelings, but the result wasn't what she intended. Social media made it easy to take a "practical" joke to an extreme. That's why it's so important for parents to know what is going on with their children on SM.

Not trying to judge, just trying to reflect on how this could happen and how it might be prevented from happening to anyone else. MOO

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffgong View Post
    Having a lot of trouble finding anyway to construe this girl's action as an honest prank. This was twisted and I think had to have been done with bad intentions. If this is true, this girl needs to experience the youth commission in that state and be more than publicly shamed. This was sick!
    ITA.....and I think the term boyfriend and girlfriend meant they just saw each other at school I don't think they went on actual dates the mom of the boy didn't know her except seeing her @ the school...She got many others to go along and convince him she was dead I don't see how that's anything other than her being mean and manipulitive.....BTW I know u weren't asking about their relationship but I don't know how to quote 2 posts sorry....

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

A lot of our middle schools are 5th through 8 grade here idk about there @Indy Anna and the above post I meant to include you in sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post

She had other friends help convince him..I don't think it was joke IIRC she said it was a test of his love for her. She needs punished by authorities IMO

What an utter tragedy!

I can't tell from the reporting whether the girl intended for the boy to die, I would guess she didn't. But at the very least she enjoyed playing a cruel game with him, psychologically torturing him. Wouldn't surprise me if she has some kind of PD, possibly is a narcissist, and was looking forward to the 'effect' she had on him when he saw her alive the next day. My feeling is the intention was to humiliate him.

But this is just my speculation, it could have been different. I'm sure they are closely scrutinizing all the messages exchanged by the two leading up to this sad event to pinpoint what exactly was the intention behind this cruel "prank".

She should definitely be held accountable in some way, and possibly the participating friends too, how severely I don't know.

I wonder where his family were when all this happened. He must have shown signs of distress prior to killing himself and the whole situation probably went on for hours. Was he alone at home? So terribly sad that he did not feel he had anyone to talk to at that moment. jmo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast