Found Deceased TN - Veronica Machen Casciato, 48, Claiborne County, 6 April 2017

LisaWL7TR

Former Member
Reaction score
Veronica Machen Casciato was last seen at around noon on April 6 leaving the Harrogate campus of Lincoln Memorial University.

http://www.local8now.com/content/ne...-for-missing-48-year-old-woman-419174404.html
a2249911d9a75f382ea96efbcfddc9a5.jpg

I hope she comes home safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Father: Unusual for daughter to be out of touch for so longWBIR

WEDNESDAY NIGHT UPDATE: The TBI confirmed Wednesday that a Toyota Corolla found in the Cherohala Skyway area in Monroe County is that of a missing Claiborne County woman.

Claiborne County Sheriff David Ray said authorities have no reason to think anything suspicious has happened at this point. The car was found in an area where people typically would park to go hiking, he said.

Forensics experts will work on the car, which likely will yield clues.

http://www.wbir.com/mb/news/local/s...ar-may-have-been-found-in-monroe-co/432372354

She is married, living on campus during the school year, and in another town with her husband the rest of the time. When interviewed, he said she loved to go on long scenic drives. Does anyone know if the car was driveable when found? If she broke down or ran out of gas she may have accepted a ride from a stranger.

This is all over the local Asheville news this morning due to Veronica's ties to Asheville. That's a pretty rural area she was driving through. This article shares more detail than most.
http://wlos.com/news/local/missing-tennessee-woman-with-asheville-ties-was-planning-visit

Also from this article, it says she lives in Cosby, TN which is approx. 1-1/2 hours away and her car ended up Tellico Plaines, TN which is approx 2-1/2 hours away.

Article says how excited she was to be planning trips to daughter's and home to Cosby. But, I wonder if she was depressed about something. IMO

Why couldn't hiker friends go back out to Tellico and search more? It's mentioned that LE searchers exhausted all resources but it doesn't seem like they were there but for one afternoon? Again, IMO

It would be nice to get an update from LE

Also from this article, it says she lives in Cosby, TN which is approx. 1-1/2 hours away and her car ended up Tellico Plaines, TN which is approx 2-1/2 hours away.

Article says how excited she was to be planning trips to daughter's and home to Cosby. But, I wonder if she was depressed about something. IMO

Why couldn't hiker friends go back out to Tellico and search more? It's mentioned that LE searchers exhausted all resources but it doesn't seem like they were there but for one afternoon? Again, IMO

It would be nice to get an update from LE

I share your concerns. It seems like a one-day search of the area where they found her car is not very thorough, which leads me to wonder if the family or LE suspects self-harm. I hope she is found alive and well soon.

ETA: Looks like the FB friends page says they are planning on searching the area again this week after the weather clears up. It's so sad that there's not a sense of urgency.

My .02 was that this was a suicide.
Not sure why.

Or trusted the wrong person ?
Hope the family gets answers !!

I'm a former commercial pilot (who ended up going into Criminal Justice field) and have this software that can pull up historical weather. I pulled up the weather for the spot her car was found, timelined it roughly the time it would take to drive there from when she was last seen. There was a massive storm system over the area at the time, and it didn't just "pop up" she would have seen it building as she neared the area. No person who just wanted to hike would have gone out in that. The car's location may have nothing to do with it being a popular hiking spot. No one is going to leave their car to go hiking into the middle of thunderstorms and torrential rain.

Veronica, 48, was last seen the morning of April 6, 2017 on the Harrogate campus of Lincoln Memorial University, where she was working towards a degree in social work. During the week, Veronica lived on campus in a dorm, took classes and was part of a work study program. On weekends, she'd drive the roughly one and a half hours to her and her husband's Cosby home.

Veronica had spent that Thursday morning working her shift in the library from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. She was spotted leaving campus around noon in her 2010 white Toyota Corolla, presumably to run some errands and get gas. The last purchase on her debit card was at a gas station just off campus.

When family and friends couldn't get a hold of her later that day, it wasn't unusual. Veronica had a paper to finish, her husband, Steve, said. A storm had also moved into the area, giving him issues with his cell phone. Not getting a call from her that night didn't set him into a panic.

But the next day, she never showed up for a scheduled field trip with her class to a homeless shelter, an event she had been telling several people she was excited to attend. The instructor called Steve, asking if he had heard from his wife. "I said no, that I didn't know where she was. That was alarming because she wouldn't have missed that," Steve told Dateline. "She was never even late to things."

last Tuesday, authorities identified Veronica's vehicle. A turkey hunter reportedly had spotted it several weeks earlier, parked just off Highway 165 in Eagle Gap. It wasn't unusual to see cars parked in that spot, so he didn't sound an alarm.

But when he drove by the same place last Tuesday night, the Corolla was still there. The man's wife had seen the news and recognized the vehicle. They called authorities.

The area is a hot spot for reports of missing hikers. Perhaps, many thought, Veronica headed out alone and got lost. Multiple agencies responded, including K-9 search teams and a helicopter. The search was called off later last week with no solid leads as to Veronica's whereabouts.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...ssee-student-mother-veronica-casciato-n750311

According to the Facebook Friends page, the area where the car was found was searched again Monday. Again, there was no sign of her being there. Questions regarding her cell phone are not being answered, so either it's taking a really long time to get records or someone is holding that info close. After finally hearing from Veronica's husband (NBC article), I'm not leaning toward self-harm anymore. (I'm not sure what I think!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back