Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Nickname/Alias: Joanne

[h=2]Identifiers[/h]Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

[h=2]Clothing & Personal Items[/h]Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

[h=2]Circumstances of Disappearance[/h]Joan had an argument with her father, the following morning she told her brother that she was leaving and would not return. No one has heard from her since.
[h=2]Investigating Agency(s)[/h]Agency Name: St. Paul Police Department
Agency Contact Person:
Agency Phone Number: 651-291-1111
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 14152747

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 25192

[h=2]Information Source(s)[/h]NamUs
Family Search
Doe Network link case
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3428dfmn.html

What a head-strong young lady. Said she was leaving never to return and then did exactly that. Is she still gone by choice or did something sinister happen along the way? What did she and her father fight about? Her eyes are possibly brown....possibly....why would her family not know for sure what color her eyes were? Very strange case.

The eye thing jumped out at me, too. My kids are 18, 15, and 6, and I know what color all of their eyes are. I looked her up on family search, all I found was a birth record. I don't even see any possibilities under different surnames, or under the first name "Mary" (I thought maybe she decided to go by her middle name). I wonder what the argument with her father was about? To my way of thinking it must have been pretty bad; she left the next day, she didn't storm out mid-argument in a huff. She actually slept on it, which means she probably thought it over and had some sort of a plan.

Her mom died in 2010, just 7 years ago, and at that time there were still three sons and a daughter listed as living, so chances are Joan still has some living siblings. Certainly they have more information than is what is listed here. There is so much more that could help - she was 22, had she graduated college? Was she trained to do any sort of job? Is she the kind of girl who wanted to be an actress or singer and might have headed to NY or LA? Was the argument with her father possibly about a boy? If so, what's his story? Did they contact her friends? Did she live at home at the time?

I wonder if any of the siblings are looking for her?

There are many cases where a person leaves home in an emotional (and vulnerable) state and falls prey to someone with evil intent. Unfortunately, the circumstances of their departure from home will often color the view taken by legal authorities and the person is classified as "a runaway" rather than a missing person.

Joan Mary Bieter
  • joan_mary_bieter_1.jpg
  • joan_mary_bieter_2.jpg
Bieter, circa 1968

• Missing Since 07/16/1968
  • Missing From St. Paul, Minnesota
  • ClassificationMissing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth01/07/1946 (74)
  • Age 22 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 120 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair. Bieter goes by the nickname Joanne.
Details of Disappearance
Bieter was last seen in St. Paul, Minnesota on July 16, 1968. She had an argument with her father, and the next day she told her brother she was leaving and never coming back. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.
Investigating Agency
  • St. Paul Police Department 651-291-1111
Source Information

Nothing really standing out but nothing ruling it out either.

Thumbnail

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number1969-02266
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupLate Teen/Young Adult
Estimated Age Range (Years)16-25
Estimated Year of Death1969
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 5"(65 inches) , Measured
Weight105 lbs, Measured
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundOctober 2, 1969
NamUs Case CreatedJanuary 26, 2013
ME/C QA ReviewedJanuary 28, 2013
Location Found Map
LocationOakland, California
CountyAlameda County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of RecoveryFound in a hotel room, beaten and strangled.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Circumstance Notes
Archived Case from 1969

Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionReddish brown red/brown maybe even considered auburn
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBlue
Right Eye ColorBlue
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
Indefinite areas of scarring of the right forearm just below the elbow and of the right hand

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
White knit dress, zipper in the back. Black bra. Blue underwear
On the Body

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I wonder what the nature of the argument was that she had with her father. The VietNam war was becoming a very hot subject that separated young people from the older generation. Was Joan an outspoken opponent (or supporter) of the war or was she involved with any persons who actively opposed it?

The following month, August 1968 in Chicago, the Democrats held their Presidential Convention and there were many protests and riots taking place there. Although nobody was killed, there were many (over 600) injuries. Could Joan have been involved with that turmoil?

Reactions: mrz
I agree that there should be more information about her, her physical description, her likes and hobbies and, of course, about that last argument.
I would like to know who was the last person who saw her.
The argument took place in front of her entire family or only her father?
How was her relationship with her family?
Did she ever run away before?
Was she involved with any illegal activity or dangerous people?
Did she take money or clothes with her?
Did she leave her home walking or someone gave her a ride?
Maybe her siblings could add some details to this case. These unanswered questions are very weird... I mean, the investigators should have interviewed her family and they should know all these. Was there a investigation at all or LE thought "she'll come back sooner or later"?

New to this, but cannot help but find the renditions of this case to bear a striking resemblance: 661UFFL

Could the argument have been about a child out of wedlock? Doe says that "She had given birth to at least one child, but not recently." TOD is about 15 months after Joanne went missing.

The time between Joan going missing in Minnesota and this unidentified murder victim being found in Florida might tend to argue against a match, as does eye color, but some other factors seem to fit.

Here is a side by side comparison of Joan's photo with a sketch of the unknown girl:

joan_mary_bieter_2.jpg
661UFFL.jpg

Joan has 11 ruleouts.

The UP Richard and altruisticlayer mention has been identified!

WS thread

Attachments

• Missing Person Case 2.png
    Missing Person Case 2.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads