CA CA - Wilma Vermaas, 23, Los Angeles, 3 April 1976

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1162DFCA
WVermaas.jpg

Wilma Rae Vermaas

Missing since April 3, 1976 from West Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: May 24, 1952
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 110 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    [*]Marks, Scars: Large surgical scar on left knee, discoloration on abdomen. Pierced ears.
    [*]Dentals: Available. One lower front tooth smaller (baby tooth). Both upper front teeth false.
  • AKA: Wilma Rae Swanson

Circumstances of Disappearance
Vermaas was last seen April 3, 1976 in West Los Angeles, California.
When family and friends tried to contact her, her husband simply said she is not here now. Eventually he admitted he did not know where she was.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Los Angeles Police Department
213-978-6500
Agency Case Number:
8508-30429
NCIC Number: M-177947600
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
California Department of Justice

Doe Network link case
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1162dfca.html

It seems that Wilma Rae married Gaylord Vermaas on 20 June 1973 in Multnomha, Oregon. It seems probable that this was the Gaylord Vermaas born 1953, although his father (born 1928) was also Gaylord Vermaas. Gaylord Vermaas seems to be a serious criminal. http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Oregon/Unsorted-OR/Gaylord-Vermaas.70028973.html gives a summary of a long criminal record including an 11 year sentence in 1990 for racketeering activity and numerous charges for drug crimes. I think he is currently in jail. Whilst this proves nothing in respect of Wilma's disappearance, I would expect LE to look closely at a husband who is a serious criminal (and 6'2" and 205lbs as well).

The Vermaas men Jr. and Sr. owned an ocean-bearing speedboat at the time of Wilma's disappearance. They used to sail down the US west coast for Mexico to buy drugs. I believe this info came out at their trial along with a photo of their boat. IF Wilma were ever on that boat and something happened to her, it would explain her subsequent disappearance and why no ever heard from her again. Both Vermaas men would not be forthcoming as to her whereabouts as that would involve mentioning a boat that was used in illegal activities.

Do you know why so little is known about this case? Why has so little been done? Do you know anything more?

Hi, Edna Kenny. I'm not sure if you were addressing me but no, I personally don't know anything more.
I would like to learn more about Wilma's disappearance, too. What a tragedy that she got mixed up with drug crime.
I hope she is found some day very soon.

Thank you Lavender Moon. I have thought the response given by the husband was unresponsive answer. I cannot imagine anyone making that comment, "She is not here now..."when a loved one went missing. I would be thinking of all kinds of possibilities to offer the police. Was that done? I don't know for sure. Vermaas Jr is a well-known felon in Multnomah County having been convicted of racketeering and drug dealing. He seems a likely suspect but little has been done.
I have been told that Vermaas Jr does not like you to know much about his activities and there can be repercussions if he thinks you know something.

I hope Wilma's family and friends can know what happened to her. They deserve closure.

just bumping.. I am just in the process of submitting a report of an unidentified that matches Wilma, similar age, went missing that time period, pierces ears, scar below the kneecap on both, same colour hair and eyes, similar weight and the same height. I willkeep you guys updated if I hear anything back

Is Wilma biracial? Charley Project describes her as white.

Namus doesn’t say the UID is biracial, it says either White or Black - there is a biracial caregory(which you can see in the search fields in Namus) but this isn’t it.

Namus doesn’t say the UID is biracial, it says either White or Black - there is a biracial caregory(which you can see in the search fields in Namus) but this isn’t it.
Thank you, Melt71. I need to join NamUs so that I can better understand these things.

1162DFCA - Wilma Rae Vermaas

1162DFCA.jpg
1162DFCA1.jpg
1162DFCA2.jpg

Left: circa 1970; Center: circa 1969

Name: Wilma Rae Vermaas
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 3, 1976
Location Last Seen: Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California

Physical Description

Date of Birth: May 24, 1952
Race: White
Height: 5'3" to 5'5"
Weight: 105 to 115 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Wilma Rae Swanson
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Pierced ears; large surgical scar on left knee; discoloration on abdomen

Identifiers

Dentals: Available, x-rays; one lower front tooth smaller (baby tooth); both uppder front teeth false
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

Wilma was last seen April 3, 1976 in West Los Angeles. When family and friends tried to contact her, her husband simply said "she is not here now." Eventually he admitted to not knowing where she was.

Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Los Angeles Police Department - Adult Missing Persons Unit
Agency Contact Person: Det. Kenneth Thomas
Agency Phone Number: (213) 996-1800
Agency E-Mail: missingpersons(at)lapd.online
Agency Case Number: 8508-30429

NCIC Case Number: M-177947600
NamUs Case Number: 5489

Information Source(s)

NamUs
CA DOJ

just bumping.. I am just in the process of submitting a report of an unidentified that matches Wilma, similar age, went missing that time period, pierces ears, scar below the kneecap on both, same colour hair and eyes, similar weight and the same height. I willkeep you guys updated if I hear anything back
Did you every find anything out?

Today I filed a match with DOE Network of Wilma Vermaas for review. I discovered that San Fernando Jane Doe’s face sketches were very similar to Vermaas. Wilma disappeared from Los Angeles County on Apr 3, 1976 and Jane Doe was found in San Fernando, CA (only a few miles away) on Apr 11, 1976. Jane Doe was said to have been dead about a week. Both woman have the same age, height, weight, skin and hair color and hair length references. They both had a large scar under their knee.

Jane Doe:
1685232241628.jpeg
Wilma Vermaas:
1685232347289.jpeg
1685232312661.jpeg

Today I filed a match with DOE Network of Wilma Vermaas for review. I discovered that San Fernando Jane Doe’s face sketches were very similar to Vermaas. Wilma disappeared from Los Angeles County on Apr 3, 1976 and Jane Doe was found in San Fernando, CA (only a few miles away) on Apr 11, 1976. Jane Doe was said to have been dead about a week. Both woman have the same age, height, weight, skin and hair color and hair length references. They both had a large scar under their knee.

Jane Doe:
View attachment 425028
Wilma Vermaas:
View attachment 425031
View attachment 425030
Wilma Vermaas has been ruled out on the Jane Doe case through NamUs.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back