TX TX - Michael Montelongo, 5, San Benito, 12 July 1977

aussiegran

Reaction score
Montelongo was last seen playing outside of his Texas home on July 12, 1977. Montelongo's mother called police officers on that afternoon to report that her son had disappeared.
Investigators and emergency personnel were immediately dispatched to search the area. Moments later a San Benito resident reported that he had seen the small boy walking down Alamo Street; however, nothing was found after officers combed the area. Neighbors were interviewed and leads were followed, but no information revealed Montelongo's whereabouts.
Police officers quickly learned that Montelongo liked to play near a drainage ditch close to his home. At the time of his disappearance, the water level at the ditch was high, raising the possibility that the current swept him away. Another possiblity is that he wandered away and someone picked him up.
Montelongo had a brother who died of sudden infant death syndrome one year before Montelongo's disappearance. There might have been another brother who died only months after Montelongo was reported missing. Montelongo's mother left during the investigation and wasn’t heard of again

Case File 94DMTX Doenetwork http://www.doenetwork.org/
>>>>>>>>>>>
sounds like the mother to me:( I wonder what happened to her .

Interesting information about the childs biological mother in the above link Kat.

It's good to know the rest of his family has never forgotten him after so many years.

Prayers for answers to your disappearance Michael.

35 Years ago...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Lee Montelongo
Missing since July 12, 1977 from San Benito, Cameron County, Texas
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 22, 1972
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic male. Red hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Montelongo was last seen playing outside of his Texas home on July 12, 1977. Montelongo's mother called police officers on that afternoon to report that her son had disappeared.

Investigators and emergency personnel were immediately dispatched to search the area. Moments later a San Benito resident reported that he had seen the small boy walking down Alamo Street; however, nothing was found after officers combed the area. Neighbors were interviewed and leads were followed, but no information revealed Montelongo's whereabouts.

Police officers quickly learned that Montelongo liked to play near a drainage ditch close to his home. At the time of his disappearance, the water level at the ditch was high, raising the possibility that the current swept him away. Another possibility is that he wandered away and someone picked him up.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Montelongo's whereabouts, please contact:

San Benito Police Department
956-361-3880

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number: 95-7289

NCMEC #: NCMC603369

NCIC Number: M-884980436

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Brownsville Herald
TXDPS
The Doe Network: Case File 94DMTX

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/94dmtx.html

Charley Project has new information here:

Michael Lee Montelongo – The Charley Project <modnote: updated link>

It would be interesting to also find out more detailed circumstances of Michael's brothers who the article says one "may have died" and the other one died of SIDS. It is unknown but if there were different men involved in Michael's Mother's life at various times, she and her children may have suffered possible abusive relationships? Could there have been patterns of neglect and abuse over the years? A cover up in the community, where someone perhaps even within the family knows what happened to little Michael?

Satch

Last edited by a moderator:
... It would be interesting to also find out more detailed circumstances of Michael's brothers who the article says one "may have died" and the other one died of SIDS. It is unknown but if there were different men involved in Michael's Mother's life at various times, she and her children may have suffered possible abusive relationships? Could there have been patterns of neglect and abuse over the years? A cover up in the community, where someone perhaps even within the family knows what happened to little Michael?

Satch

Actually she did have a number of different men in her life. The fact that a little brother died (allegedly) of SIDS before Michael's mysterious disappearance, and that another died afterward make this more than just a bunch of BIG coincidences.

Add to that the mother moving out of state during the investigation and changing her name and one has to wonder why the police have not been able to solve this one.

The fact that she "passed" a lie detector test might not indicate that she is innocent, but rather that she could't tell the truth if she stepped in it.

Actually she did have a number of different men in her life. The fact that a little brother died (allegedly) of SIDS before Michael's mysterious disappearance, and that another died afterward make this more than just a bunch of BIG coincidences.

Add to that the mother moving out of state during the investigation and changing her name and one has to wonder why the police have not been able to solve this one.

The fact that she "passed" a lie detector test might not indicate that she is innocent, but rather that she could't tell the truth if she stepped in it.

Yes, there have been cases similar to this before, Marie Noe and Waneta Hoyt for instance, where the mother turned out to be a serial killer.

Moments later a San Benito resident reported that he had seen the small boy walking down Alamo Street; however, nothing was found after officers combed the area.

I agree the mother does look suspicious, but I wonder if the resident mentioned above was checked out. Was he a near neighbour or someone who lived a little further away?

Charley Project has new information here:

Michael Lee Montelongo – The Charley Project <modnote: updated link>

It would be interesting to also find out more detailed circumstances of Michael's brothers who the article says one "may have died" and the other one died of SIDS. It is unknown but if there were different men involved in Michael's Mother's life at various times, she and her children may have suffered possible abusive relationships? Could there have been patterns of neglect and abuse over the years? A cover up in the community, where someone perhaps even within the family knows what happened to little Michael?

Satch

Michael is my uncle Enedelia is my gma and she had 6 kids Michael was the oldest my mom was the second oldest then my uncle Simon he passed due to sids and my aunt Monica passed away too from sids then my aunt Margaret was born n shes still around and the last one is my Uncle Mario and he lives with my gma she didnt neglect her kids my gma cries all the time when we see old pictures of him in her albums or when we show her things like this you dobt know my gma she would never do anything to hurt anyone she raised me and my siblings and my cousin because my mom n my aunt margaret didnt take care of us and now she helps me take care of my kids none of us know what happen to michael but we always release balloons on his birthday every year since i could remember

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that in this case I am inclined to think that she might think... she got rid of this child to escape with another man since she had only him left... the others had already died, supposedly from sudden infant death... I don't think there was fallen into the flow of water but he handed him over to the father who is unknown to the police and to us, knowing that he would be free and clear after passing a lie detector, he would come out free of dust and straw...then the rest would be easy, change his name and She leaves the state just like that and since she can't prove anything, she will never be judged and will go to the grave with the secret...
I hope that the baby, if he is still alive, is fine and if he is not...
may he rest in peace

Michael is my uncle Enedelia is my gma and she had 6 kids Michael was the oldest my mom was the second oldest then my uncle Simon he passed due to sids and my aunt Monica passed away too from sids then my aunt Margaret was born n shes still around and the last one is my Uncle Mario and he lives with my gma she didnt neglect her kids my gma cries all the time when we see old pictures of him in her albums or when we show her things like this you dobt know my gma she would never do anything to hurt anyone she raised me and my siblings and my cousin because my mom n my aunt margaret didnt take care of us and now she helps me take care of my kids none of us know what happen to michael but we always release balloons on his birthday every year since i could remember
Welcome to Websleuths Mellzamillion,
On Websleuths, when someone posts that they are related to someone we are discussing, we ask that they become verified.
All your information is kept strictly confidential.
If you could please email wsverify@yahoo.com and ask to become a verified family member in this case
that would be very helpful.
We all appreciate you coming to Websleuths to discuss Michael's case.
Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
Manager, Websleuths.com

michael_lee_montelongo_1.jpg
michael_lee_montelongo_2.jpg
montelongo_michael_ap.jpg

Michael, circa 1977; Age-progression to age 46 (circa 2018)

Details of Disappearance​

Michael was last seen playing outside of his family's residence in San Benito, Texas on July 12, 1977. His mother, Enedelia Cavazos, called police that afternoon to say her son had disappeared. An extensive search failed to find him. A neighbor said he had seen Michael walking along Alamo Street, but this sighting has not been confirmed. Cavazos said he was on his way to see his aunt when he disappeared.

Michael enjoyed playing near an area drainage ditch. At the time of his disappearance the water level in the ditch was high, so investigators theorized he could have fallen in and been swept away. If so, his body was never found.

One of Michael's brothers died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) about one year before Michael vanished. Another of his brothers may have died a few months after Michael was reported missing.

Cavazos left the area in the middle of the investigation and lost touch with police. She did pass a polygraph in connection with Michael's case. She has had several children by different men and apparently has never married. Authorities do not know who Michael's father is. Cavazos now lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan under another name.

Due to the uncertain circumstances in Michael's disappearance, his case is classified as a non-family abduction. The case has been open but inactive since 1977. Authorities stated Cavazos was the primary suspect in her son's disappearance. Michael's case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back