Found Deceased NY - Sheila Abdus-Salaam, 65, Harlem, 12 April 2017

cnmccarthy

Reaction score
Definitely shocking, and I really hope they investigate thoroughly!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

This is shocking! Maybe they'll hurry the autopsy because of her status in the community. I wish the article had more information about when she was last seen and by whom, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Her husband later identified her body. Sources said it showed no obvious signs of trauma or injuries indicating criminality or foul play, and that her death appeared to be a suicide.

After all SA-S accomplished during a fascinating career for it to end by jumping into the Hudson River seems histrionic since so many people could possibly see her floating. Is it a public message? Sure. Mental Health matters; regardless of one's status. What was going on in her professional life or home life that made her sad and despondent? I so wish she could have just walked away from it.

SA-S was 65yo. Perhaps she had recently been diagnosed with a debilitating disease, by ex., Dementia, Parkinson's, and any number of others. Perhaps fewer details will be released since she was an explementary pillar of the community.

What is the Muslim's philosophy on suicide? Acceptable, yes or no? Haven't studied the Koran enough to know. TIA

I don't know that this has been officially ruled a suicide.

As for being a Muslim, in my experience with Muslims I know, some are more progressive than others. Similar to Christianity, different believers can have various beliefs on certain issues.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I hope we hear more details. Any time a high profile person is found dead there is even more reason to dig deep and make sure there is no foul play.

The judge has been married less than a year. The key here will be cause and manner of death.Plus any information from a best friend.

After all SA-S accomplished during a fascinating career for it to end by jumping into the Hudson River seems histrionic since so many people could possibly see her floating. Is it a public message? Sure. Mental Health matters; regardless of one's status. What was going on in her professional life or home life that made her sad and despondent? I so wish she could have just walked away from it.

SA-S was 65yo. Perhaps she had recently been diagnosed with a debilitating disease, by ex., Dementia, Parkinson's, and any number of others. Perhaps fewer details will be released since she was an explementary pillar of the community.

What is the Muslim's philosophy on suicide? Acceptable, yes or no? Haven't studied the Koran enough to know. TIA

DeDee, do you have a link to that quote? Thanks.

"Abdus-Salaam and the Rev. Jacobs got married last June at the Greater Newark Conservancy, according to a marriage announcement.
Neighbor and friend, Deborah Audate, told the New York Daily News that the couple maintained separate residences, but spent time together on weekends. Jacobs stopped by his dead wife's Harlem brownstone Wednesday evening, accompanied by detectives."

Above quote from this article:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/s...judge-married-to-christian-found-dead-180387/

These were my thoughts as well. I know mental illness can be stealthy and quiet but it seems odd to me that this would be a suicide. She was an incredible woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The judge has been married less than a year. The key here will be cause and manner of death.Plus any information from a best friend.

Interesting. So her husband she's been married to less than a year was the one to say suicide?

ETA: nvm I just saw the article! Thx :)

"Islam views suicide as one of the greatest sins and utterly detrimental to one's spiritual journey. A verse in the Quran instructs; "And do not kill yourselves, surely God is most Merciful to you." ... The prohibition of suicide has also been recorded in statements of hadith, (sayings of Muhammad)."

Religious views on suicide - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_suicide

I am not feeling suicide in this case. Could be , of course. But it does not seem to fit with her personality.

I'd like to know more about the state of her marriage...

I am not feeling suicide in this case. Could be , of course. But it does not seem to fit with her personality.

I'd like to know more about the state of her marriage...

There is no suicide personality.

I am going to grab the link, but an article on MSN said she has had a difficult time recently. Her brother committed suicide and her mother died.

The article is here. (Not MSN, sorry.) her brother committed suicide 3 years ago, and her mother this time last year.

She called into work, didn't come the next day so they contacted the husband. He then contacted 911.

IMO, this does not look like foul play. I do hope they continue investigating, to be absolutely sure.

Eta: Crap! I linked the wrong article. So sorry! I will find the correct one.

An influential, powerful black judge found floating in a river committed suicide? That's BS.

Easy cover up when the family has a history of "suicide". Foul play.

this one is going to be a very tough one. the anxiety going on in the country with the current administration is pretty high and close relatives may have had anxiety and or depression. it is inherited. hopefully the police look into this case thoroughly. water is also a common way to dispose of a body for a homicide. this will be a tough case. if police do not see any trauma, they usually label the case "accidental drowning."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back