1005 users online (175 members and 830 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Department of corrections inmate lookup (nyc.gov) just plug in their first and last names

Quote Originally Posted by Momoffourboys View Post
    The iPhone belonging to the prime suspect in the macabre murder of a 26-year-old Hofstra graduate has been inaccessible to the Manhattan District Attorney's office since it was taken from him about 10 months ago, prosecutors disclosed in a court filing Tuesday.

James Rackover, 26, accused in the stabbing and beating death of Joseph Comunale inside Rackover's 4th floor luxury E. 59th St. apartment on Nov. 13, appeared alongside his alleged accomplice Lawrence (Larry) Dilione, 29, in Manhattan Supreme Court Tuesday for a pre-trial conference at which the smartphone lockout was reported in court papers.

Assistant District Attorney Antoinette Carter, responding to a gripe by Rackover's team that "the People have taken an unreasonable amount of time to search the devices," admitted the search has not happened.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3492123
    That is baffling they haven't searched his phone. Isn't that one of the first things they do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cnmccarthy View Post
    That is baffling they haven't searched his phone. Isn't that one of the first things they do?

It's password protected. They can't get in.
    MOO, IMO, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cnmccarthy View Post

Agreed. Apparently, they are relying on JR to give up his passcode. Which he hasn't done. From same link:

"Prior to the widespread use of encryption on modern Apple and Google smartphones beginning around 2014, prosecutors could easily access a defendant's text messages, photographs and other potentially useful hints stored on a device after obtaining a search warrant."
    IMO JMO
    -------------------------------------------
    Find Heather
    Find Eric Lee Franks
    https://www.facebook.com/FindEricFranks?ref=bookmarks

"Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one." Mikayoyo

The iPhone belonging to the prime suspect in the macabre murder of a 26-year-old Hofstra graduate has been inaccessible to the Manhattan District Attorney's office since it was taken from him about 10 months ago, prosecutors disclosed in a court filing Tuesday.

James Rackover, 26, accused in the stabbing and beating death of Joseph Comunale inside Rackover's 4th floor luxury E. 59th St. apartment on Nov. 13, appeared alongside his alleged accomplice Lawrence (Larry) Dilione, 29, in Manhattan Supreme Court Tuesday for a pre-trial conference at which the smartphone lockout was reported in court papers.

Assistant District Attorney Antoinette Carter, responding to a gripe by Rackover's team that "the People have taken an unreasonable amount of time to search the devices," admitted the search has not happened.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3492123
    This is VERY interesting because local prosecutors regularly use the feds or attempt to compel the manufacturer to provide access to the device. After the San Bernardino debacle local and federal officials have become savvy in regard to what to avoid doing that could hinder the usual methods of accessing this data.

Could it be that the prosecutors have not yet filed a supeana for this data?

why didn't they get a warrant? to get it from Apple

Agreed. Apparently, they are relying on JR to give up his passcode. Which he hasn't done. From same link:

"Prior to the widespread use of encryption on modern Apple and Google smartphones beginning around 2014, prosecutors could easily access a defendant's text messages, photographs and other potentially useful hints stored on a device after obtaining a search warrant."

Quote Originally Posted by cvaldez1975 View Post
    why didn't they get a warrant? to get it from Apple
    Apple makes them jump through hoops, and even then they use their discretion in accepting or rejecting the request.

https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/...delines-us.pdf
    MOO, IMO, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
    Apple makes them jump through hoops, and even then they use their discretion in accepting or rejecting the request.

https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/...delines-us.pdf
    But, as we learned with San Bernardino, there are methods utilized by the feds which circumvent Apple to obtain the data. The issue with San Bernardino was user error which rendered the device inaccessible, causing them to have to go to Apple. In the end, the feds used a private company to gain access to the data and Apple did not provide it.

Snip

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. has been a vocal opponent of the ironclad encryption protections used by big technology companies that are meant to guard consumers but can create headaches for law enforcement.

In March 2016, Vance testified before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary about the issue of encryption and law enforcement.

"iPhones are now the first consumer products in American history that are beyond the reach of Fourth Amendment warrants," Vance's written testimony said.

He said that "default device encryption cripples even the most basic steps of a criminal investigation," in an age where phones commonly store what suspects formerly had in safes and filing cabinets.

From same link above.
    IMO JMO
    Find Heather
    Find Eric Lee Franks

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
    It's password protected. They can't get in.
    Oh I guess I'm thinking of the crime tv shows where they have the people who can hack into the phone or computer. -sheepish look-

Snip

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. has been a vocal opponent of the ironclad encryption protections used by big technology companies that are meant to guard consumers but can create headaches for law enforcement.

In March 2016, Vance testified before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary about the issue of encryption and law enforcement.

"iPhones are now the first consumer products in American history that are beyond the reach of Fourth Amendment warrants," Vance's written testimony said.

He said that "default device encryption cripples even the most basic steps of a criminal investigation," in an age where phones commonly store what suspects formerly had in safes and filing cabinets.

From same link above.
    This article shares the ACTUAL FACTS which contradict the claims by you and Vance:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...phone-6/?amp=1

i dont understand why they don't have to comply w warrants. everyone else does.

Snip

From same link above.

Quote Originally Posted by cvaldez1975 View Post
    i dont understand why they don't have to comply w warrants. everyone else does.
    Me neither. That's what a warrant is for. To gain access.
    IMO JMO
    Find Heather
    Find Eric Lee Franks

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohn24 View Post
    Department of corrections inmate lookup (nyc.gov) just plug in their first and last names
    Thanks for the link, but this doesn't really tell me his next court date. I'm going to leave it as Oct. 3rd for all of them.

Thanks again for the help!
    ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~
    ~~Veni, Vidi, Velcro! I came, I saw, I stuck around!~~

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    Thanks for the link, but this doesn't really tell me his next court date. I'm going to leave it as Oct. 3rd for all of them.

Thanks again for the help!
    Next court appearance is 10/3/17 for all three defendants.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/web..._k9xFury97aA==
    IMO JMO
    Find Heather
    Find Eric Lee Franks

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast