1240 users online (213 members and 1027 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2017.04.13 - US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04...et-killed.html

The GBU-43B, a 21,000-pound conventional bomb, was dropped in Nangarhar Province.

The MAOB (Massive Ordinance Air Blast) is also known as the “Mother Of All bombs.” It was first tested in 2003, but hadn't been used before Thursday.

For comparison, each Tomahawk cruise missile launched at Syria last week was 1,000-pounds each.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04...et-killed.html

The GBU-43B, a 21,000-pound conventional bomb, was dropped in Nangarhar Province.

The MAOB (Massive Ordinance Air Blast) is also known as the “Mother Of All bombs.” It was first tested in 2003, but hadn't been used before Thursday.

For comparison, each Tomahawk cruise missile launched at Syria last week was 1,000-pounds each.
    Thank you for this thread. I was just watching Fox when they came on with the breaking news.

This is one powerful bomb. I am sure they alerted all of our military in the area beforehand to clear out.

IMO
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

The U.S. has dropped the largest non-nuclear bomb in its arsenal against ISIS fighters in Afghanistan, Pentagon spokesman tells ABC News.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-drops-...165654334.html

came here specifically today to see how we are coming together over this and am surprised by the minimal amount of posts in this thread. I'll admit, I am scared.
    When you have more than you need, build a longer table not a higher fence --Unknown

This bomb was built in McAlester, Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by AzPistonsGirl View Post
    came here specifically today to see how we are coming together over this and am surprised by the minimal amount of posts in this thread. I'll admit, I am scared.
    I'm scared as well. I just don't know what to think right now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I am not afraid. Maybe because I grew up with my father who worked with missiles, that could carry conventional or nuclear warheads. I do understand how scary this could be, though. I also understand why it is necessary to keep peace. I hope it does not escalate. I am hoping this will deter that. But maybe not?
    This is a scary world we live in. Keep calm and carry on...

IMOO.

Think I'm in denial. Don't even want to think about it...

Deploying such a large bomb isn't easy as even the world's largest bombing aircraft can't manage the Moab's size and weight.*

The bomb can only be deployed out of the back of large cargo plane using a unique system.

A parachute pulls the bomb out of the plane on a box-like pallet that*quickly separates from the explosive.

Grid fins then extend from the body to help control the bomb's descent.

It accelerates rapidly to its terminal velocity and is partially guided to its target via satellite.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...her-Bombs.html

The bomb explodes six feet (1.8 metres) above the ground using an*'airburst' mechanism to spread its destructive power horizontally rather than vertically.*

Today, the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb hit a 'tunnel complex' in Achin district in Nangarhar province, US Forces Afghanistan said in a statement.

A specialized MC-130 'Hercules' cargo aircraft released the weapon at 7:00 p.m. local time.

It was too big to drop from a traditional bomb-bay door or release from an aircraft wing, so 'we kicked it out the back door,' a U.S. official told Fox News.

It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

I'm not afraid - as long as ISIS fighters were the only casualties and the bomb strike accomplished the intended purpose. I've yet to see any confirmation of either. Not a proponent of using a multi-million dollar weapon simply to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    Think I'm in denial. Don't even want to think about it...
    Me too. When I do slip up and think about it, I'm terrified. I've pretty much been alternating between in denial and terrified since November.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick question. How many killed?

Or was the Moab dropped in a isolated area for testing purposes?
    You can fool some of the people some of the time; But guess what? The Bus Stops Here (Life No Parole/ Don't Pass Go: Don't Collect Your $200)

I am only hearing about this now. Where the heck have I been?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    - Audrey Hepburn

US, Afghanistan assess damage from 'mother of all bombs'

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/asia/a...sis-moab-bomb/

US and Afghan military officials are assessing the impact of a colossal US bomb dropped on ISIS tunnels in a remote part of Afghanistan, the most powerful non-nuclear weapon the US has in its arsenal.

US military officials told CNN a GBU-43/B Massive Ordinance Air Blast bomb (MOAB) -- nicknamed the "mother of all bombs" -- hit ISIS positions Thursday night in Nangarhar province, near the Pakistan border.

Quote Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
    Me too. When I do slip up and think about it, I'm terrified. I've pretty much been alternating between in denial and terrified since November.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I've been terrified, too, and took up swearing on Nov 8, which really escalated on Jan 20. I really should not watch the news.
    Last edited by SophieRose; 04-14-2017 at 02:53 AM.
    IMO

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast