OR OR - Harold Hardesty, 86, Ashland, 10 April 2017

Lilibet

Southern Oregon
Reaction score
Long-time Ashland resident Harold Hardesty, 86, is missing. He was last seen on Monday morning leaving his home in the 1200 block of Oak Street, wearing a white knit hat, a black hooded rain jacket, blue jeans and white shoes.

Jackson County Search and Rescue have been actively searching for him since Wednesday. He is said to have dementia and to become easily disoriented.

Anyone with information about Hardesty's whereabouts is asked to contact the sheriff's office at 541-774-6800.

attachment.php

http://www.dailytidings.com/news/20170413/man-with-dementia-missing-in-ashland

https://kobi5.com/news/elderly-man-reported-missing-from-ashland-home-50822/

http://ktvl.com/news/local/police-looking-for-86-year-old-man-with-dementia

http://www.kdrv.com/story/35144884/...ffice-searching-for-missing-man-with-dementia

Attachments

• IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 408
My husband once spotted Harold's old gas station from the freeway, and he and a friend drove down the road leading to it. As they drove, they realized it was private property, but Harold came out and was kind enough to give them a tour. Here he is, standing in front (from the link below).

attachment.php

Link has a lot of info about Harold's racing career.
https://chroniclesoftheacres.com/2014/06/29/harold-hardesty/

Attachments

• IMG_2357.JPG
    IMG_2357.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 361
I wonder why they waited until Wednesday to start searching for him, now it's almost Friday already. :( I remember one night a few years ago, it was the middle of the night and we were awakened by a lot of noise and lights. It was helicopters flying around shining spotlights, there were people all over with flashlights as well. We couldn't imagine, I thought at first it was some type of invasion, LOL. But no, come to find out they were searching for an elderly man with Alzheimer's who had gone missing in our community sometime earlier that night. He was found the next morning in someone's storage building, he was fine. I think the chances of finding a missing person are greater the sooner the search is started. I hope he's found safe and sound.

BTW, what a cool old service station. My DH is a car collector and would love that.

I wonder why they waited until Wednesday to start searching for him, now it's almost Friday already. :( I remember one night a few years ago, it was the middle of the night and we were awakened by a lot of noise and lights. It was helicopters flying around shining spotlights, there were people all over with flashlights as well. We couldn't imagine, I thought at first it was some type of invasion, LOL. But no, come to find out they were searching for an elderly man with Alzheimer's who had gone missing in our community sometime earlier that night. He was found the next morning in someone's storage building, he was fine. I think the chances of finding a missing person are greater the sooner the search is started. I hope he's found safe and sound.

BTW, what a cool old service station. My DH is a car collector and would love that.

I agree, the earlier they start a search, the better, but I don't believe anyone knew he was missing until Wednesday. I expect he lives alone, but I'm not sure. I certainly hope he is in a shed somewhere.

Regarding the dementia label....Reading one of the articles and some comments, not everyone realized he had dementia. This is often the case with families and friends. I suspect, based on personal experience with an elderly friend with dementia, that Harold is good at covering it up/compensating and is very independent. It may not be too far advanced yet, so that he can function and refuse help. This is the case with our friend. Up until a year ago he was living alone and his dementia wasn't alarming...just a little forgetful and repetitive. He could navigate downtown Ashland just fine on foot. He could have been missing a couple of days without his friends noticing. Not because we don't care, but because he doesn't like to be fussed over and is very resistant to help. It's a tough, sneaky disease for all involved.

Thanks for the thread, Lilbet. I'm on the losing end of round 10 with a migraine right now. Gah. Harold is a long time friend of my DHs mother and former step-father; they are worried sick.

I called into the JCSD yesterday with a possible sighting for Harold by Rising Farms in Phoenix. I'm hopeful today is the day he's found safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the thread, Lilbet. I'm on the losing end of round 10 with a migraine right now. Gah. Harold is a long time friend of my DHs mother and former step-father; they are worried sick.

I called into the JCSD yesterday with a possible sighting for Harold by Rising Farms in Phoenix. I'm hopeful today is the day he's found safe.

I hope you're winning the migraine battle, kodi. Thanks for letting us know about your connection to Harold and reporting the possible sighting. I haven't seen any more news today. It's supposed to get down into the 30's tonight. :(

I hope you're winning the migraine battle, kodi. Thanks for letting us know about your connection to Harold and reporting the possible sighting. I haven't seen any more news today. It's supposed to get down into the 30's tonight. :(

Thank you Lilibit; it was a long battle but one in which I finally ended victorious. It has been a long day and I am left disappointed with no new news as I'm sure you are, too. [emoji53]

Another night out in the cold scares me. Where are you, Harold?

Glad to hear you won the war, kodi. Those things​ are vicious.

Harold sounds just like my mom, who covered up her confusion so well. I can't even imagine her outside for 2 nights. This is frightening for Harold.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you won the war, kodi. Those things​ are vicious.

Harold sounds just like my mom, who covered up her confusion so well. I can't even imagine her outside for 2 nights. This is frightening for Harold.

Thank you, TenaciousBacon, I have them far too often. [emoji1304]

Last night was Harold's 5th night out. It's been down in the 30's and 40's overnight and I am losing hope. If it was him I saw Thursday morning, chances are better he'll be found alive but if it wasn't him I think it's so slim. It's so frustrating and I feel so helpless. [emoji853]

I'm trying to get someone who knows him to join and become a verified insider. 🤞🏻

Harold is a beloved member of the Eagles Lodge here in Medford, (Fraternal Order of Eagles), He comes to Wednesday and Friday night dinners every week. He did not come Wednesday or Friday this week, I usually serve him on Friday and he was certainly missed. We are all waiting for any information about him we can get.

Harold is a beloved member of the Eagles Lodge here in Medford, (Fraternal Order of Eagles), He comes to Wednesday and Friday night dinners every week. He did not come Wednesday or Friday this week, I usually serve him on Friday and he was certainly missed. We are all waiting for any information about him we can get.

Welcome, although I'm terribly sorry about the circumstances that led you here. I know many on this forum are holding Harold in their thoughts & prayers and hoping for the best. I wish there was more I could do for this gentleman, but it's hard being thousands of miles away.

:greetings: Thanks so much for being here, Belinda. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Harold, but my husband had a nice encounter with him. He seems to have many friends. I hope we have good news soon.

Since he comes to Medford twice each week, I assume he is still driving. I also assume his car isn't missing or that would have have been mentioned.

Thinking of Harold and his family and friends tonight. (Warm hugs)

Thank you for joining us, Belinda, though I'm sorry it's under these circumstances. [emoji53] I hate to think of Harold being out there another night.

Another day with no answers. My thoughts and prayers are with his family & friends and I hope closure comes sooner rather than later for them. ❤️

Another day with no answers. My thoughts and prayers are with his family & friends and I hope closure comes sooner rather than later for them. ❤️

I join you in thoughts and prayers and hope Harold will be found soon. It's got to be torture for anyone who is close to him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back