GUILTY KS - Oliver Ortiz, 9 months, dies of head trauma at Eudora daycare, 29 Sept 2016 *Arrest*

Jewels53

Reaction score
Murder charge filed against woman suspected in death of 9-month-old boy at Eudora daycare

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- The Douglas County District Attorney filed a charge on Friday in the death of a boy at a Eudora daycare last September. Carrody M. Buchhorn, 42, is charged with felony murder in the death of 9-month-old Oliver Ortiz.

The charge accuses her of first degree murder in the commission of child abuse.

http://fox4kc.com/2017/04/14/murder...n-death-of-9-month-old-boy-at-eudora-daycare/

I have seen too many cases lately of childcare people abusing or murdering children. Makes me sick! I used to live just a few streets over from where this happened. These houses are in the $200,000 range which is high for this town. imo

District attorney files murder charge against woman accused of killing infant at a Eudora day care

After about six months of investigating, the Douglas County district attorney has filed a murder charge against a woman accused of killing a child at a Eudora day care last fall.

Carrody Buchhorn, 42, faces one count of first-degree murder. She is currently being held in the Douglas County Jail; however, the jail's online logs did not indicate on Friday afternoon when she had been arrested.

According to a criminal complaint filed in Douglas County District Court, Buchhorn reportedly killed an infant - later identified as 9-month-old Oliver Ortiz - on Sept. 29, 2016.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/apr/14/district-attorney-files-single-felony-charge-again/

Woman accused of infant’s death at a Eudora day care formally charged with first-degree murder

A woman accused of killing an infant last fall at a Eudora day care made her first appearance in court Monday and was formally charged with one count of first-degree murder.

Carrody Buchhorn, 42, was arrested Friday at her home in Eudora.

Through a video call from the Douglas County Jail, where she is being held in lieu of $250,000 bond, Buchhorn appeared before Douglas County District Court Judge Amy Hanley on Monday afternoon. Her attorney, Paul Morrison, who is a former attorney general of Kansas and a former Johnson County district attorney, was present in the courtroom.

Aside from confirming her identity when asked by Hanley and noting that she did not have any questions about the hearing, Buchhorn stood silent for her brief appearance. Hanley scheduled Buchhorn to appear before Judge Sally Pokorny later this week, at which time additional court hearings will be scheduled.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/apr/17/woman-accused-killing-infant-eudora-day-care-forma/

Blunt force trauma killed infant at Eudora day care, prosecutors say; judge lowers bond for accused woman

The 9-month-old child killed last fall at a Eudora day care suffered multiple blunt force injuries to his head, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

Carrody Buchhorn, 42, was arrested Friday and formally charged Monday in Douglas County District Court with a single felony count of first-degree murder in the case. She has pleaded not guilty.

The revelation about the cause of death came Wednesday during a hearing at which Buchhorn's defense attorney, Paul Morrison, requested a reduction in Buchhorn's bond — a request that was ultimately granted by Judge Sally Pokorny.

Because he believed Buchhorn was not a flight risk and he believed the prosecution's case was weak, Morrison argued that his client's $250,000 bond was too high.

snipped
Rieg said the coroner, Dr. Erik Mitchell, wrote on Ortiz's death certificate that the child died from homicide due to blunt force trauma.

More specifically, Rieg said, Ortiz suffered three injuries to his head. His spinal cord was also damaged and the injuries were so severe that he quickly died.

Had Buchhorn immediately sought medical attention Ortiz might have survived, Rieg said, though he likely would have suffered from severe disabilities as a result.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/apr/19/blunt-force-trauma-killed-infant-eudora-day-care-p/

OMG Can this story get any worse. This is such a sad case, I wonder why she did this to this little baby. The bbm I think the bond is way to low. imo

Blunt force trauma killed infant at Eudora day care, prosecutors say; judge lowers bond for accused woman

The 9-month-old child killed last fall at a Eudora day care suffered multiple blunt force injuries to his head, prosecutors said on Wednesday.

Carrody Buchhorn, 42, was arrested Friday and formally charged Monday in Douglas County District Court with a single felony count of first-degree murder in the case. She has pleaded not guilty.

The revelation about the cause of death came Wednesday during a hearing at which Buchhorn's defense attorney, Paul Morrison, requested a reduction in Buchhorn's bond — a request that was ultimately granted by Judge Sally Pokorny.

Because he believed Buchhorn was not a flight risk and he believed the prosecution's case was weak, Morrison argued that his client's $250,000 bond was too high.

snipped
Rieg said the coroner, Dr. Erik Mitchell, wrote on Ortiz's death certificate that the child died from homicide due to blunt force trauma.

More specifically, Rieg said, Ortiz suffered three injuries to his head. His spinal cord was also damaged and the injuries were so severe that he quickly died.

Had Buchhorn immediately sought medical attention Ortiz might have survived, Rieg said, though he likely would have suffered from severe disabilities as a result.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/apr/19/blunt-force-trauma-killed-infant-eudora-day-care-p/

OMG Can this story get any worse. This is such a sad case, I wonder why she did this to this little baby. The bbm I think the bond is way to low. imo

Kansas is pathetic when it comes to people who harm children. I will never understand it.

This is Little Oliver the 9 mo old! He is so adorable and could have had a full life ahead of him.

OLIVERORTIZ.jpg

Fly high little angel!

Kansas is pathetic when it comes to people who harm children. I will never understand it.

I think Kansas is pathetic with their criminal system as a whole, especially with children. imo

Affidavit: Woman accused of killing infant at Eudora day care was only person with access to the child

After Oliver Ortiz was laid down for a nap at his day care in late September 2016, Carrody Buchhorn, a worker at the day care, was the only person with access to the 9-month-old, she told police, according to the recently released arrest affidavit in the case.

Ortiz died later that day after his skull was fractured down to his spinal cord, one doctor told police, according to the affidavit filed in Douglas County District Court. The injury reportedly killed him within minutes.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/apr/27/affidavit-woman-accused-killing-infant-eudora-day-/

she said he was "always crying". that tells me she slammed him in frustration. poor baby :*(

she said he was "always crying". that tells me she slammed him in frustration. poor baby :*(
Damn it. This is ridiculous! I had a baby in my care who screamed for literally hours a day. A couple of months of this. It was so difficult, and honestly a bit crazy making at times. But you don't choose to work with babies if you can't handle it!! There were a couple of times I thought I was going to lose my mind. I put her down and I called a friend. I let a few tears out, took some deep breaths, and got back to it. I'm sure many of you here who are parents have had some "moments". We are all human. But FFS, if you make a CHOICE to be a caregiver you had better be able to handle it, and you better have some freaking coping skills!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I wonder if Oliver always cried at this daycare and was fine at home. It could be a telling sign of how he was treated over all. jmo

Judge denies request to modify house arrest condition for woman charged with murdering infant

A woman charged with murdering an infant at a Eudora home day care asked a judge last month to allow a friend — who’s a witness in the murder case — to help her with errands while she’s on house arrest.

That is not going to happen, Douglas County District Court Judge Sally Pokorny ruled this week.

“House arrest is house arrest,” Pokorny said. “I think the defendant can figure out accommodations for how she can not be in jail.”

The judge scheduled Buchhorn’s next court hearing for Aug. 24.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/jun/21/judge-woman-charged-killing-infant-cant-spend-time/

I was wondering when charges were going to happen on this case, glad to see they finally decided to file murder charges.

I use to live in this neighborhood, these are not cheep houses, around $200 - 270 thousand dollars. Not that it makes a difference, murder's come in all shapes and sizes. imo

A friend of mine is friends with the parents of sweet Oliver and I see their post on FB sometimes it such a sad story. They do have an older child which I would think helps some.

Such a beautiful, innocent baby boy. What on earth could cause any "human" to harm this child? I give up. I hate people. I just don't understand :(

Buttons picturing Eudora baby won’t be allowed at trial of woman accused of murdering him

Family members of an infant homicide victim won’t be allowed to wear items bearing the baby’s photo when the woman accused of killing him goes on trial next year, a judge said.

Douglas County District Court Judge Sally Pokorny said Thursday that such items would not be allowed in the courtroom during the weeklong jury trial, scheduled to begin Feb. 12.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2017/dec/14/buttons-photos-eudora-baby-wont-be-allowed-trial-h/

much more at link above ^^^

Murder trial pushed back 5 months for woman accused of killing baby at Eudora day care

The woman accused of killing a baby boy at a Eudora home day care was scheduled to face a jury in three weeks, but her murder trial has now been pushed back a full five months.

Defense attorneys for Carrody M. Buchhorn, 43, of Eudora, requested the delay, which Douglas County District Court Judge Sally Pokorny granted on Friday.

Instead of beginning Feb. 12, the eight-day murder trial is now scheduled to start July 16. Buchhorn, who is on house arrest, agreed to waive her speedy trial right.

Buchhorn’s attorneys have said that an out-of-state forensic pathologist reviewing the Douglas County coroner’s findings would likely dispute the timing and nature of the baby’s injuries and how quickly he would have died from them.

That expert witness only received tissue samples requested from the state in late December and needs more time to review them and consult with his colleagues, defense attorney Paul Morrison said.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2018/jan/26/murder-trial-pushed-back-5-months-woman-accused-ki/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back