MS - John Nixon, executed for the '85 murder of Virginia Tucker

rednfiery

Reaction score
in Mississippi.

Can someone tell me why some executions are "glorified" on the news, and some arent?

Why was Tookie Williams' execution such a big deal? I understood the nation's 1000th being publicized, but why arent others talked about as often?

I would have thought something would have been said on the national news sites about John Nixon Sr....at some point this week.

Because Tookie had celebs fighting his cause, would be my guess. Also, since Nixon was white, it would throw a big kink in Jesse Jackson's race diatribe.

JMO

Because Tookie co-founded the Crips gang, one of the largest black gangs around today and because his crimes were so heinous, and his lack of remorse or even admission of his obvious proven guilt.

I agree with shopper. JJ doesn't want to publicize the fact that white people are executed in this country.

LinasK said:
Because Tookie co-founded the Crips gang, one of the largest black gangs around today and because his crimes were so heinous, and his lack of remorse or even admission of his obvious proven guilt.
His crimes were heinous just like all the rest of the scum that sits on DR.

Nixon didnt express remorse or admission of proven guilt either.

Crips or no crips, TW was executed for murder. If executions are going to be strongly publicized, all of them need to be.

On another note.....I, for one, will be glad when Jesse Jackson takes his last breath.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051215/NEWS/512150385/1263

Convict's last words accuse his son

PARCHMAN — Condemned killer John B. Nixon Sr. said the state was illegally killing him as needles were being inserted into his arms inside the execution chamber on Wednesday evening.

"I did not kill Virginia Tucker. I know within my heart who did, and it hurts me in my heart to acknowledge it was a son of mine and a Spanish friend of his and another person in Jackson," Nixon said while inside the chamber.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in Mississippi and had not heard of this guy until he started trying to fight the execution...20 years it took to take care of business...wayyyy toooo looonnngg for what he did to these poor people.:banghead:

sandraladeda said:
You mean the reverend Jesse wasn't there, holding his hand and praying with him, fighting for his life?
JJ only attends high profile events where he will get the maximum television exposure for himself.

I wonder why this guy waited until he was in the chamber before he made these accusations ? Surely he had years to tell all.

shopper said:
Because Tookie had celebs fighting his cause, would be my guess. Also, since Nixon was white, it would throw a big kink in Jesse Jackson's race diatribe.

JMO
Of the last 12 executed here in CA, 10 were white! That throws another "big kink" into it!

Also think it was funny when I heard that Rev. Jackson requested to see "Tookie", but Took declined to see him, or other clergy. Unless, he changed his mind like he did 6 hours before his lights went out!

Tom'sGirl said:
Of the last 12 executed here in CA, 10 were white! That throws another "big kink" into it!

Also think it was funny when I heard that Rev. Jackson requested to see "Tookie", but Took declined to see him, or other clergy. Unless, he changed his mind like he did 6 hours before his lights went out!
I hope Pukerson is number 11! :furious:

shopper said:
Because Tookie had celebs fighting his cause, would be my guess.

I think you nailed it. This reminds me a bit of the "Free Nelson Mandela" movement. Though I have not yet heard a pop song about Tookie.

They both killed innocent people in their "movements" or "gangs" or what-have-you. Mandela got off after all the wailing and hand-wringing... Tookie got his just desserts. He can rot in hell.

I'm a middle-aged white guy of lower-middle class means, and I'm honestly reaching the puking-point with all this "black vs. white on death row" drivel. Look- - If you do the crime? you do the time. Don't come up with some sob story about why you did the crime, and blame "society" or the government for your own actions. Just shut yer pie hole and take yer lumps like a man.

Tookie was a pussy.

rednfiery said:
His crimes were heinous just like all the rest of the scum that sits on DR.

Nixon didnt express remorse or admission of proven guilt either.

Crips or no crips, TW was executed for murder. If executions are going to be strongly publicized, all of them need to be.

On another note.....I, for one, will be glad when Jesse Jackson takes his last breath.

Hi Rednfirey, and you sure are! LOL

I do disagree with you about John Nixon Sr. At the very end, before the needle was put into his arm, he did express remorse. I posted it on the Tookie thread.

I wanted everyone to realize that life goes on, and here the day after Tookie met Diablo and went down under, John Sr met his maker at 6pm EST.

Happy thoughts all around about this. He was a regular HIT MAN. the kind that movies are made about - the real horrible thing. Who knows how many went down by his hand. Many more than this one victim I am sure as sure can be.

The point is, near the end of time he had to deal with, he stated his son had done the deed. And then, when he knew time was a running out, he did express remorse. He was a cold hearted killer from the old school - 77 years old, born in the roaring 20's. To me that means he also had old school in his heart from anything good he had been given in life, and that - that alone is why he knew he could not go out of this life until he made his peace with his maker, which I do believe he did. Tookie didn't give a about that. He had no breadth of background to draw from, and was only satisfied by what would satisfy himself.

John Nixon Sr. was a very evil man. His execution was noted here at WS a week before it even happened. He deserved what happened to him, and after 2 or 3 other scheduled dates that gave him reprieve because of his bad health, it was a very easy, simple passing with no complications. But he did make one difference in his life that we should respect. He didn't go out saying nothing about his crime like Tookie. It was on his mind!

Scandi

Ixions Fire said:
I think you nailed it. This reminds me a bit of the "Free Nelson Mandela" movement. Though I have not yet heard a pop song about Tookie.

They both killed innocent people in their "movements" or "gangs" or what-have-you. Mandela got off after all the wailing and hand-wringing... Tookie got his just desserts. He can rot in hell.

I'm a middle-aged white guy of lower-middle class means, and I'm honestly reaching the puking-point with all this "black vs. white on death row" drivel. Look- - If you do the crime? you do the time. Don't come up with some sob story about why you did the crime, and blame "society" or the government for your own actions. Just shut yer pie hole and take yer lumps like a man.

Tookie was a pussy.
I totally agree with you Ixion. It's not about color. They committed a serious crime & had their DAYS even YEARS in court. It may have been the case 40 years ago, where race played a factor, but I feel it is extremely rare if it even happens anymore. Murder cases are not news only to the communities they occur in, the whole world can know what's going on, so shoddy verdicts are lessened. Also forensic technology can prove or disprove the case with 100% certainty nowdays. So even IF the jury was all white for a black defendant, forensics determine the verdicts, not the juries race. I blame a lot of the race issues on the press. Any reports I've seen on TV about Tookie show black faces trying to save his life. What about me and others who wanted him to die? Why didn't they show black people in the neighborhoods where the CRIPS terrorize and wantonly kill innocent people to get their opinions? If you didn't know better it looked like all blacks were against his execution. Just like after the OJ verdict, what did the media show, blacks cheering the verdict. That shocked and sickened me along with a lot of other black people! Did they show our surprise and anger over that verdict? H*ll no!!!
Morgan Freeman did an interview on 60 minutes, and I find his comments though provoking and true.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/14/60minutes/main1127684.shtml

Sadie Mae, is this interview going to be on tomorrow night? I'll be sure to watch or TiVo it, it sounds like it will be very good.

I love Morgan Freeman, I rank him right up there with the all-time greats. He's a very smart man and he's exactly right in what he says in this interview.

shopper said:
Sadie Mae, is this interview going to be on tomorrow night? I'll be sure to watch or TiVo it, it sounds like it will be very good.

I love Morgan Freeman, I rank him right up there with the all-time greats. He's a very smart man and he's exactly right in what he says in this interview.
CBS News' 60 Minutes profiles the Oscar-winning actor on Sunday, Dec. 18, 7-8 PM ET/PT

I'll be watching.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back