1330 users online (283 members and 1047 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Boy, 5, says bus driver taped his mouth shut

When he got home from kindergarten on Monday, 5-year-old Kyle Gerber had a stunning story for his parents. The bus driver, he said, taped his mouth shut with duct tape on the ride home from Dunedin Elementary School.

Kyle's parents responded by calling the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, which has opened an investigation.

Both the driver, who has been temporarily assigned to another route, and the adult aide on the bus could face termination, a school official said.

"If the allegations are substantiated, it is a clear violation of our policy," Pinellas County schools spokesman Sterling Ivey said. "As far as we're concerned, the nature of the incident is inappropriate touching or handling of a student."

This is at least the sixth incident in 14 months in which the safety or treatment of Pinellas County students has been called into question.

Last year, two students were hit and killed by cars after bus drivers let them off on the wrong side of busy streets. Another student was hit by a car and seriously hurt after he ran out of his school.

This year, police handcuffed two other students, one aboard a bus.

http://www.stpetersburgtimes.com/2005/12/14/Tampa

You just have to love the florida school system.

I would like to say I am surprised .. But no, I have lived here to long.

When I was a child, taping kids mouths shut was very common.

It was kind of a joking thing, but also kind of a hey shut up for real notice from the teacher.

We never made national news.

When I went to school they could paddle you with a wooden board.

I remember my teachers smoking in the classroom. But Nowadays its not acceptable.

Spanking students in SC is legal. One elementary school principal told me that when it comes down to it, she calls the parent and says 1) come get your kid OR 2) come spank your kid OR 3) she will spank the kid. Usually, she said, the parent gives permission for the principal to spank; also, when parents spank their kids, they are much harder than she would ever be. A parent can't spank the kid without the principal present.

FYI, if someone used some kind of punishment on my kid at school, there would be hell to pay.

OK, inappropriate - but I've seen some 5 year olds I'd pay good money to tape their mouth shut - especially if I was trapped on a bus with them.

When I was a kid my mother was a teacher.

If I got hit in school, you didn't dare tell your mother because you got in even worse trouble for causing the teacher problems.

I tried to enforce that with raising my son also, but the day he came home with hand marks round his neck from being choked to the ground by his 5th grade teacher, I did a turn around.

Pook.......I'm so sorry! I cannot imagine! I, too, went to school when paddles and ruliers on the hand were used as punishment. I remember being afraid to even talk. However, the classrooms were nice and quiet in those days compared to the chaos in them nowadays. I have a grandson in a private school that does use corporal punishment. I don't think my daughter would interfere with any punishment but they might well see this old Granny fuming; maybe tell them THEY need to learn to be disciplined and giving a few whacks right back!!!

What wound up happening with your son? His teacher?

Before we moved to Florida my children did attend a school where corporal punishment was used. Very rarely did you ever hear that anyone was spanked. My children loved this school as did my husband and I. There was actually controll in the classroom, teachers could teach and students learned. There was not so much time spent disciplining kids because they knew that there were consequences that could be inforced.

We had vicious Nuns who would use a leather strap on your palm.

Thankfully it never happened to me, but I remember a lot of streesed and terrified kids. They would use it as pyschological weapon. Tell you that you would be strapped on Friday, even though it is Monday and left you swet it out all week.

Then on Friday one by one kids would be called down to the office and return to class in tears

There are also some adults I've been around who I would like to do that to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Details
    OK, inappropriate - but I've seen some 5 year olds I'd pay good money to tape their mouth shut - especially if I was trapped on a bus with them.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

In Florida corporal punishment (at last check) was still on the books But I think only one county may still use it.

When I was in school *muttering* (before 1982), we still had corporal punishment. I, however, never had it used on me. My parents always requested that if they felt the need to paddle any of us kids, she wanted to be called....which was bad news. You see, my mom worked nights as a nurse at the hospital and she would not be happy if she was called and told we were misbehaving. So, we feared her wrath more than the paddle at school. We were not raised to fear my parents, but we sure didn't want to tick them off either. The most I remember was maybe a swat on the butt for bickering with my brother and I only remember that happening a couple of times. Maybe that's what's wrong with me.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineQ
    When I was a child, taping kids mouths shut was very common.

It was kind of a joking thing, but also kind of a hey shut up for real notice from the teacher.

We never made national news.
    Our teachers used masking tape. I wonder how sticky duct tape would be...
    We used to find it funny, too.

Quote Originally Posted by T'sNana
    The most I remember was maybe a swat on the butt for bickering with my brother
    My mom didn't hit us, but she would take out her false teeth and chase us up the stairs that was horrifying

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast