1127 users online (186 members and 941 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Class president who robbed bank was addicted to online poker

Somewhere in a hectic schedule that included being president of his Lehigh University class, playing second-chair cello in the university orchestra and working at the chaplain's office, sophomore Greg Hogan developed a secret habit.

For 14 months the polite, energetic finance and accounting double major from an affluent Ohio suburb used online poker to blow off steam.

But the hobby quickly became an addiction that led Hogan to lose about $5,000.

It was that addiction that led him last week into a Wachovia bank in east Allentown, where he handed a teller a note and calmly walked out with $2,871 that wasn't his, says his lawyer, John Waldron.

Now Hogan, the 19-year-old son of a Baptist minister, faces as much as 20 years in prison on bank robbery charges, and his lawyer says the nationwide poker craze is partly to blame.

''This is one of the nicest kids I've ever met, but his gambling addiction led him to make a terrible, terrible mistake,'' said Waldron of Allentown. ''There's so much good in this kid. It easily outweighs this one bad mistake.''

District Judge Carl Balliet will get a chance to consider that Jan. 31, when Hogan has a preliminary hearing on felony charges of robbery, theft and receiving stolen property.

According to Allentown police, Hogan on Friday went into the Wachovia bank on Union Boulevard, handed the teller a note saying he had a gun, and walked out with the money about 3 p.m. He hopped into a waiting sport utility vehicle and rode away with two of his brothers from the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_4hogandec14,0,60856

I saw this on Good Morning America this a.m. WOW! He looked like a "good" kid (if looks mean anything - NOT!). They said he did nothing to disguise himself or anything. Apparently the driver(s) didn't even know what was going on. Thanks for the link!

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.